Is this legal? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Is this legal?

I just saw this on the news. Is this legal? Isn’t there laws preventing using game animals for something like this? It just seems like we shouldn't be taking wildlife to directly benefit any business corporation wether profit or non-profit.

https://wnep.com/2019/04/16/donate-e...n-the-poconos/

You can't kill anything sitting on the couch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 07:37 PM
Banned

It is legal, there are no laws stating what you must do with your trout after you catch them. You can use them to fertilize your garden if you wish.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Thanks for clearing that up. I guess the thought just makes me uneasy. It seems like a business will prosper off the harvest of a natural resource.
To me it’s no different then a restaurant telling hunters to shoot all the deer they have tags for and donate them to said restaurant so the cook can serve his customers venison and not have to pay for the venison itself.
I think the fact that because it is a business or interest group that is the benefactor is what makes me uneasy. I just hope that this doesn’t encourage people to harvest more then what they would normally take on an average year. I get it that this is a recovery shelter, but if they want to feed the animals fish they should be buying farm raised fish with their own money, or money donated for this reason.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 08:19 PM

I don't have a problem with it per se because this seems to be an animal hospital that is most likely a non-profit. It's not like they're selling the fish for profit. Not much difference than donating deer meat to a homeless shelter. I prefer to practice catch and release personally. What they should do is get some of those bow fishing folks involved in stuff like this.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus99 View Post
I don't have a problem with it per se because this seems to be an animal hospital that is most likely a non-profit. It's not like they're selling the fish for profit. Not much difference than donating deer meat to a homeless shelter. I prefer to practice catch and release personally. What they should do is get some of those bow fishing folks involved in stuff like this.

Just let me play devils advocate here. Would you feel differently if they were feeding native brook and brown trout to possums or skunks that were being rehabilitated due to being orphaned? I realize that in this situation I am putting a greater value on the life of a native trout over the skunk or possum (I’m not sure how I personally feel on the value of each life here).
Just to clarify I do occasionally keep a stocked trout or two to eat, but primarily practice catch and release.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dthomas View Post
Just let me play devils advocate here. Would you feel differently if they were feeding native brook and brown trout to possums or skunks that were being rehabilitated due to being orphaned? I realize that in this situation I am putting a greater value on the life of a native trout over the skunk or possum (Iím not sure how I personally feel on the value of each life here).
Just to clarify I do occasionally keep a stocked trout or two to eat, but primarily practice catch and release.
Like I said, I personally prefer catch and release. However I recognize that people have the right to keep fish of legal size. If keeping fish was a problem, then I expect the PFBC would not allow it. What people do with them is their choice. I'd rather see them go to this use than thrown in the trash.
bohunr and flintlock hunter like this.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 06:31 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Fair point man. Thanks for the response.
flintlock hunter likes this.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dthomas View Post
Fair point man. Thanks for the response.
I believe most people who fish for wild trout, according to what I’ve read in surveys, are catch & release anglers. Most of the people who keep trout, fish for stockies.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 03:59 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

It's a donation (of most likely stocked trout) for a good cause. Just like there are programs to donate venison from a deer you kill to shelters to help feed people. The operative word is donation as you cannot sell game animals or parts for profit (and no a restaurant cannot then sell donated venison or fish to customers.)

Hunt, Fish, Vote! I support AR and Sunday hunting. Life Member of NRA and TU.

Last edited by RyanR; 04-17-2019 at 04:01 PM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 04:15 PM
Banned

While a road kill may be donated to a animal shelter by an officer, there are no programs like hunters sharing the harvest for animal shelters and I do not think there should be.
flintlock hunter likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page