6Likes
  • 4 Post By EIGHT POINT
  • 1 Post By Potter Co. Joe
  • 1 Post By Mikeymjr23

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Opening Day 3-30-19

Beautiful day here in SE Penna. Went to our usual spot we have been visiting the last few years.
The parking lot was very full but almost everyone was standing at the creek right at the parking lot.
My son and I walked all the way down to where we go and there were 6 people in this stretch but plenty of room for everyone.
I threw my spinners up stream of the group and caught 3 in about 15 minutes so I knew they were there.
I switched to my new fly rod to swing some fly's and to experiment with some other tactics for our annual upcoming steel head trip. Plus I just wanted to get used to this style of fishing as this was my 1st time with a fly rod.
Over the course of the next couple hours I caught and released a few trout which was fun and I got my casting and mending down pretty pat.
My teenage son did the same thing a little further up stream from me and he switched over to his center-pin rod which we down scaled from steel head to trout...
On his 1st drift he caught a trout.
By about 10:30 am the stream cleared out and we had the place to ourselves. Most of the anglers who we fished with were catch and release so we knew the trout were still there.
When the sun got high in the sky the trout shut down so we left and came back later in the day.
Came back around 4:00 PM and pretty much had that stretch all to ourselves.
I started with my spinner again and caught 4 fish in about 1/2 hour so I switched back to my fly rod again.
The weather was perfect.
It's been quite a few years since I spent that much combined time streamside, it was relaxing.....Great day all around.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Andrew Trout 3-30-19.jpg (161.8 KB, 29 views)

LIVE TO HUNT - HUNT TO LIVE
TAKE A CHILD HUNTING AND PRESERVE THE SPORT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 02:55 PM
The Man

Glad you had a good time.
Not all reports were this good from people I know who went out , in fact some were down right disgusted.
Sounds like the beautiful weather brought a lot of the Yahoo's out.
Every year I'm tempted but wind up staying home.
Steely Ran likes this.

Potter County
Gods Country USA
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

I do not set the bar very high on opening days of trout or if I am hunting public land.
Keeps the disappointment in proportion....
When you do get a good outing then it's all the better....
I never understand the psychy of people who know what they are walking into when they say," it's this way every year"....but they go every year and complain,....

LIVE TO HUNT - HUNT TO LIVE
TAKE A CHILD HUNTING AND PRESERVE THE SPORT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 09:48 AM
Frequent Contributor

The opener was awesome for our group of 4.

Wife's uncle and I got to the creek at 5am, and we were the first there. I didn't care, we were able to sit at the picnic table down at the State Hospital in Norristown. We expected to see a TON of people.

Come 8am, we only have maybe 30-40 people within eyesight.

We caught 60-70 from 8am-12pm. Mostly rainbows, and some had some nice size to them. I'm guessing the fat ones came from the Stony Creek Anglers. Fairly enjoyable morning.
bigguy54 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page