Opening Day - Sullivan County - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Opening Day - Sullivan County

My wife’s uncle has a cabin near Forksville. We are going there the weekend of opening day; off the grid, shoot some guns...ya know...manly stuff!

We are considering going for trout at one of the many streams up there.

Just wondering if it’s worth it? We’ve heard that it can oftentimes be too cold that weekend to do much fishing, but I honestly don’t care...I just want to fish! Haha!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeymjr23 View Post
My wife’s uncle has a cabin near Forksville. We are going there the weekend of opening day; off the grid, shoot some guns...ya know...manly stuff!

Just wondering if it’s worth it? We’ve heard that it can oftentimes be too cold that weekend to do much fishing, but I honestly don’t care...I just want to fish! Haha!
It depends on what you’re looking for in a fishing trip. If you just want to get out on the water, then I would say yes, it’s worth it.

If you don’t like crowds and are willing to walk a ways to get away from other anglers, it can be worth it.

Some people don’t mind the crowds and enjoy the Opening Day experience. If you are one of them, then by all means go and good luck.

Though I have fished in that area, I haven’t fished there for several years, and never around Opening Day, I can’t tell you how good or poor the fishing would be.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 05:14 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeymjr23 View Post
My wifeís uncle has a cabin near Forksville. We are going there the weekend of opening day; off the grid, shoot some guns...ya know...manly stuff!

Just wondering if itís worth it? Weíve heard that it can oftentimes be too cold that weekend to do much fishing, but I honestly donít care...I just want to fish! Haha!
Yes, it's worth it.

Go for it!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 05:22 PM
The Man

I’ve been fishing the opener up there for the last 15 years. Some openers are great and some are duds. We tend to bounce around to 4 or 5 different streams depending on the preseason stocking date. Prime example is 2 years ago 4 of us caught close to 100 trout in 4 hours, while last year same spot 4 of us caught 10.

Camp life,it don't get much better!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 06:00 PM
Sage

Have fished the Sock Opening day in around Forksville/Hillsgrove for a number of years. If the spring isn't extraordinary cold fishing can be great. Cold temps can turn off the bite though like a light switch. Hunters Lake seems to handle extreme cold temps plus wild temp swings much better than some of the deeper hole streams like the Sock. Best of luck!!

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 06:13 PM
The Man

Loggy we have learned to stay away from the Big Sock until spring gobbler for that exact reason.

Camp life,it don't get much better!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 06:21 PM
Sage

Yep 25. Elk Creek, Hoagland etc would likely be better early season choices. Last few years ive been hitting the early VA flounder run so mostly fish Sully during Spring Gobbler. Wish I could do both though but the flounder calling is a lil louder!!

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 07:10 PM
Regular Visitor

I have never fished not even heard of the places you mention but I would guess that the cold weather is ideal for trout, especially now that it’s been a bit warmer throughout the days, warming the water up and turning up the trout’s metabolism.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Thanks guys!

I plan to bring my stuff, and I want to get out. I could care less if I catch many...I don't mind hiking in a bit either.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page