Winter Steelhead - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 6Likes
  • 6 Post By LancFisherman

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Winter Steelhead

Hello Everyone,

So all winter long I have been fishing for trout, just about every weekend. I decided I wanted something different, so I took a trip to Erie. Unfortunately, I couldn't talk anyone into going with me but the weather looked decent for February in Erie, so I couldn't resist.

I left at about 330am on Saturday morning, and I was on the water at 930am. I decided to hit the east end streams first. I was hoping that the crowds would not be as bad as they are in the fall, but I think the weather brought a lot of people out. After a while I did find some secluded water with some very finicky fish. With the streams low and clear, it certainly made the bite tough. I managed one fish around 1pm, but I didn't get my 2nd until about 430pm.

On Sunday, I decided to head to the west end streams. I had been researching a creek pretty far up from the lake that supposedly had steelhead run up to 40 miles of stream. This was my kind of fishing. Not a soul around, deep in the woods, and the whole stream to myself. It was 50 degrees and sunny in the morning which felt so good. Unfortunately the stream was cloudy due to the prior night's rain, and I couldn't see into the pockets. In normal trout fishing I wouldn't mind, but with steelhead, I like to see in every pocket as the fish are by no means in every "fishy" looking spot. So most of the morning I was searching with a spinner and it did get me 2 landed fish and one lost fish. I went to lunch, and then decided to take a look at a few other streams. Unfortunately, most others were too muddy for my liking. So, I returned to my original stream, but the bite sure did die. I saw a few fish spawning in the shallows but they had no interest in anything that I had.

I've been making videos with my gopro more as a hobby than anything. Feel free to check them out below!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 05:21 PM
The Man

Quite the excursion! Congrats on the steelies!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 11:01 AM
Frequent Contributor

Looks like an awesome trip! Congrats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 01:19 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Nice job on the video....
The steel head out of Erie look different from the ones we catch out of Lake Ontario.
Wish I lived closer I'd be there every weekend....

LIVE TO HUNT - HUNT TO LIVE
TAKE A CHILD HUNTING AND PRESERVE THE SPORT
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Thanks guys! And that is interesting about the Ontario/Erie difference. If I lived closer I'd be there all weekend every weekend too!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page