New Rod - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Tcaddis

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

New Rod

I've been primarily a dry fly trout fisherman for 30 years. I'd usually use my spinning rod in April before I could consistently find dry fly action. Fast forward to this past Christmas. My son has been spinner fishing all fall and winter and doing quite well on a panther martin size 6. He asked if I'd like to join him on 12/19/18. I took the invite and we landed over 20 trout between us in a couple hours. I've always tied my own flies so after looking at the spinner I figured I could make them too. So I got the materials I wanted and start playing around. The thing I enjoy most about making them is I can turn them out a lot quicker than flies. After using the spinner for the last three months, I became unsatisfied with my 5 foot spinning rod. I have a custom rod a friend had made me. It's an older loomis blank, but the tip is real similar to St.Croix trout series 5 foot rod. It's a little to soft for my liking. I was prepared to make my own rod at this point. Since I work close to Bass Pro, I figured I check out what they have before purchasing the materials I already have in my mudhole cart. I came across a Bass Pro micro lite 5 foot, UL, fast action road. It has a Tennessee Grip which I was going to put on my build, so I made the purchase. The tip is stiffer and I think it will aid in more solid hook sets and feel. Now I just need the time to get on the water and break it in.
loridr likes this.

PCD Enlightened
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 08:51 AM

That looks like a nice rod and I am a big fan of a Tennessee grip.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 07:50 AM

I’m sure the spinners you made are better quality than Panther Martins. Panther Martins are made with thin wire that bends much too easily.

I used to use UL rods but thought they gave too much to provide good hooksets. I now use fast action St. Croix ML rods. But that’s me, lots of people prefer UL rods. It’s a very individual thing.

Good luck with your new rod and spinners.

TT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

If your ever in the area of Bass Pro stop and give the rod a shake. It's the stiffest UL I've handles. I fished it yesterday and the give on the hook set is now gone.

PCD Enlightened
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcaddis View Post
If you're ever in the area of Bass Pro stop and give the rod a shake. It's the stiffest UL I've handled. I fished it yesterday and the give on the hook set is now gone.
I'm very happy with the rods that I use now, but if I'm in that area, I'll look at it in the store. Thanks.

TT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page