Spoons - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

Spoons

Been messing around with spoons this winter. I've never really fished them, but my father always goes to spoons when we go fishing and he seems to do well with them. I am going to try and fish them more this year..but it is just so hard to put the spinner away since I know they are so productive.

Also been trying some different color combinations of stickers and faceted beads on my French blades. Got a few new trout blades, swing blades, and spider web blades (look really cool spinning) to give a go too. I am also going to try making some with bodies instead of beads...but I think I like beads better. If nothing else, they look pretty! Now to find time to fish....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spoons stickers (1 of 1).jpg (712.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg stream demon stickers (1 of 1).jpg (620.2 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg spoons 1 (1 of 1).jpg (1.05 MB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg trout town (1 of 1).jpg (650.6 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg trout thiefs (1 of 1).jpg (626.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg bodies (1 of 1).jpg (637.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg spider web (1 of 1).jpg (715.9 KB, 14 views)

Catch-and-Release wild trout.

Summit Park Spinners https://jasonweller20.wixsite.com/summitparkspinners
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 09:32 AM

Great looking lures! If those red/white spoons act anything like a Daredevil they'll catch a lot of trout especially in lakes and bigger streams you can cast them a mile.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 09:50 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Nice, Grousedog! I especially like the simple, yet effective look of your Trout Thief!

Gun Control = Using both hands, and hitting your target
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 11:28 AM

I have not used spoons either,but this year I`m going to be using spoons.I going to start out with a few Dare Devils.

Nature can teach us alot.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 11:50 AM

Great looking lures.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 12:06 PM
Frequent Contributor

I could not begin to count the number of fish I have caught on Little Cleo spoons and the Red & White Daredevil. I went with a friend's son (16 years old) fishing off their pontoon this past year and he looked at me with awe and wonder as I tied on a daredevil. We were at the bait shop the next day.....I let you guess what he was buying!!!!
Huntered likes this.

Your just jealous because I've been chatting online with babes all day!!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 06:23 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Since focusing my fishing time towards other species the last 4 or so years I’ve learned something about lures. This may make some people raise an eyebrow....but fish don’t care what lure you use. The effectiveness of that lure is dictated by how good the angler is with that lure. We all have a comfort / confidence zone with our choice of lures because we know how to use “that lure”.

That’s not to say that adjustments shouldn’t take place. If a certain fish is keying in on a certain bait because that is a breeding or migration event, match the hatch so to speak but a good jigger, spooner, spinner angler is usually going to have their best results using the method they are confident with.
CritterBuster likes this.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutspinner View Post
Since focusing my fishing time towards other species the last 4 or so years I’ve learned something about lures. This may make some people raise an eyebrow....but fish don’t care what lure you use. The effectiveness of that lure is dictated by how good the angler is with that lure. We all have a comfort / confidence zone with our choice of lures because we know how to use “that lure”.

That’s not to say that adjustments shouldn’t take place. If a certain fish is keying in on a certain bait because that is a breeding or migration event, match the hatch so to speak but a good jigger, spooner, spinner angler is usually going to have their best results using the method they are confident with.
I agree that the lure color doesn't make as much difference as most people think with spinners. I use gold, silver, and copper spinners for the most part. I have a few black bladed and some white bladed, but that's it. I fish mostly for wild trout and I'm convinced more natural colors work better for wild trout. Freshly stocked trout are probably more likely to hit brightly colored spinners or spoons. I rarely use spoons. I probably should try Dardeveles or Little Cleos but I don't fish a lot of real deep water. If I try spoons it's generally one of the Nitis.

I think lure color makes more of a difference with plugs, because a plug is an imitation of a bait fish. I don't consider spinners to be minnow imitations.

I will say that you make very nice looking spinners and spoons.

TT
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 07:41 PM
Banned

First of all, that display of your spoons is impressive. Next, to address the post that eluded to the red and while dare devil spoons. I fished the dickens out of the small red and white dare devil spoons and was very successful back when I fished a lot for trout. I tried several dare devil look alike spoons and none of them even came close to the success I had with the original. I do not now why, but that is a fact.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 10:09 PM
Regular Visitor

Those are some really good looking lures! I have some spoons but like yourself, I just can’t bring myself to use them. I do so well with beaded french blade spinners in gold, nickel and copper. Even some black nickel every now and again when it’s cloudy and dark or the water isn’t very clear. Sometimes I’ll throw some teardrop bodied inline bladed spinners also. The only exception is when I throw some different Rapalas. I don’t fish as much as I’d like, meaning if I fished much more, I’d probably be more inclined to make a day just for spoons.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page