I could use some help - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

I could use some help

I have not fished for trout too much over the last 10-15 years and would like to get back into it. I used to have a lot of success with the original CP Swings that I raided from my great-grandfathers tackle box that my dad had inherited. I was thinking I would like to try to make some spinners due to my wife being less than thrilled with the amount of money that I spent on spinners (and then lost) last year. I have been reading over a lot of old posts in here and have some questions. I know a lot of these questions are dumb, but my fishing knowledge is mostly self taught and probably misinformed.

-I haven’t preference in style right now, I could make styles similar to CP swing, Panther Martin, Meps, or Rooster Tail

1. When you talk about spinner weight does that include everything? Example wire, blade, treble, cleves, and body or beads OR is it the weight of the body/bead and if so does it include the hollow bead above the cleves?

2. Where do you guys order your stuff from?

3. Is there a book, guide, or reference manual that you guys like?

4. Based on previous posts for smaller rivers streams seems to be French Blade 0-1 at 1/8 oz. with #10 treble is this correct?

5. What is the consensus on wire gauge? Several forms have differing recommendations.

-Any and all input is greatly appriciated. I appreciate anyone taking time out of their schedule to help me out.

You can't kill anything sitting on the couch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dthomas View Post
I have not fished for trout too much over the last 10-15 years and would like to get back into it. I used to have a lot of success with the original CP Swings that I raided from my great-grandfathers tackle box that my dad had inherited. I was thinking I would like to try to make some spinners due to my wife being less than thrilled with the amount of money that I spent on spinners (and then lost) last year. I have been reading over a lot of old posts in here and have some questions. I know a lot of these questions are dumb, but my fishing knowledge is mostly self taught and probably misinformed.

-I haven’t preference in style right now, I could make styles similar to CP swing, Panther Martin, Mepps, or Rooster Tail

1. When you talk about spinner weight does that include everything? Example wire, blade, treble, clevis, and body or beads OR is it the weight of the body/bead and if so does it include the hollow bead above the clevis?

TT: Yes, that inclues everything. Wire, blade, clevis, beads, and hooks.

2. Where do you guys order your stuff from?

TT: My father used to make spinners and he ordered most of his stuff from Hagen’s.

3. Is there a book, guide, or reference manual that you guys like?

TT: He had one but I don’t remember the name. I’m sure there are Youtube videos that show step by step how to do it.

4. Based on previous posts for smaller rivers streams seems to be French Blade 0-1 at 1/8 oz. with #10 treble is this correct?

TT: It’s a matter of personal preference, but I never use size 0 spinners. They’re too light. A size 1 French blade is the smallest I use. I use size 2 on a lot of streams and #3s on larger streams or in high water. For swing blades, a #3 is the equivalent of a #1 French blade and is the smallest I use. I never use spinners that are lighter than 1/8 oz. #10 hooks are a good size generally, but if you make larger spinners, you can go as high as #8.
I often snip off the third point on treble hooks when fishing to make releasing trout easier. I am not an advocate of using single hooks with spinners as I think it is much easier for trout to swallow them.

5. What is the consensus on wire gauge? Several forms have differing recommendations.

TT: I’m not sure what gauge wire my Dad used, but it was much heavier than most commercial spinners. CP Swings, Panther Martins, Mepps, and Roostertails all use very thin gauge wire that bends much too easily. You may have to get a couple different thicknesses and experiment, but I recommend going with thick wire.

-Any and all input is greatly appriciated. I appreciate anyone taking time out of their schedule to help me out.
TT: I recommend doing a search on this site on spinner making and sending a private message to the people who make their own spinners.

Last edited by Trout Traveler; 01-14-2019 at 08:55 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page