Whose fishing this weekend? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Whose fishing this weekend?

Calling for some rain, but warmer temps.....whose gonna scratch the itch?

“I prefer my kid hunt and fish rather than steal and deal,”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takemrarely View Post
Calling for some rain, but warmer temps.....whose gonna scratch the itch?
It depends how much rain we get.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 12:56 AM

Who's fishing this weekend, was the question.

As it turned out, I fished on Saturday, though I got a very late start. I didn't arrive at the creek until after 11:30 AM. When I first waded in, I got a rush of cold water on my right foot. I had a leak in my waders in my previous outing, but I thought I had fixed it. Apparently not. I walked back to my car, changed into my hip boots, then re-entered the stream. I went to a different section of the same limestoner I had fished earlier in the month. The water was much lower than the last time, so I used a smaller, lighter spinner. I had two hits before I caught my first trout, which surprisingly was a native brookie.

I had two trout hit and get off, while several others only followed. I reached a deep pool and changed to a large Lucky Craft plug. A large brown followed for a short distance, but didn't hit. The stream split into two channels and I moved up the right channel. I lost another trout before landing a 9 inch wild brown. I continued upstream, hoping to catch a big brown. I caught three more brown trout; two 11 inchers and a 11 1/2 incher before coming to a large log jam that I couldn't get around in my hip boots, so I walked back to my car and drove upstream. Unfortunately, there was a car parked where I intended to fish and I was sure it was another fisherman. I drove a little futher upstream and saw another car, so I decided to head to a limestone tributary that I hadn't fished this year.

On my first cast, a small trout charged, hit, and threw the hook. Two more small trout hit before I landed a 10 1/2 inch wild brown.
A bend pool gave up browns of 9 1/2 and 9 inches. My next trout was 10 1/2 inches. I had a short lull that was broken by my largest trout of the day to that point, a nice 12 inch brown.

I had a lot of small trout follow and some short struck. I caught three small trout in short order, browns of 8 1/2, 9, and 6 inches. I dropped a cast near some heavy cover and felt extra weight. "Finally, a good heavy trout", I thought. It didn't turn out to be as big as I first thought. It was a very fat 14 inch brown. A 10 inch brown closed out the angling hour.

It took about 15 minutes before I landed my next trout, a 9 1/2 inch leaping fool of a brown trout. Next came another 14 inch brown. I made a cast into a deep spot and instantly felt a heavy trout. I saw the trout roll and knew I had a very large trout on. The trout dove for the roots, then rolled over and over. I had a strong feeling that it was going to end in a parting of the ways. The trout shot downstream and the line broke. While big trout are often not as large as we first think, I believe that one had the potential to be my largest trout of the year.

I tied on another spinner and moved upstream. A few casts later, another heavy fish was on. "Definite hog", I thought. It dove deep toward the undercut, but I manuevered him into the shallows, snapped a quick picture on the wet grass, and released him.

Two casts later, a small trout bounded around the pool before spitting the hook. A chunky 13 inch brown came to the net next, followed by a feisty 6 incher. As I retrieved my spinner through a deep trough, a heavy trout struck. I set the hook and a large rainbow cleared the water and ejected the hook at the top of an impressive jump.

I moved upstream in the gathering darkness, knowing I only had a few more minutes to fish. A 12 inch brown was added to the tally before I approached a deep spot under a bridge. I made two casts to the deep spot on the right side with no interest, so I made a cast to the left side, which is much more shallow. A trout streaked out and smashed my spinner. I set the hook and the heavy trout raised quite a surface ruckus before finally arriving in front of me. It was a big rainbow that measured 17 inches. I snapped a quick picture, then released him. I made two more casts and called it a day.

I wished I had started earlier. I believe I would have caught good number of trout and maybe another big trout or three. I fished only 3.25 hours between the two streams; 1.5 hours on the first stream and 1.75 hours on the second. The first stream produced only 5 trout, the second yielded 17. I lost at least another 7-8 trout between the two streams. Overall, I caught 22 trout; 20 browns, 1 rainbow, and 1 brook trout, all on spinners.

I had hoped to fish on Sunday as well, but heavy rain is expected (what are the odds?)

I'm hoping that I can fish again before the end of the month, but you never know what you will get for weather in December.

Last edited by Trout Traveler; 12-17-2018 at 11:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 10:09 AM
Frequent Contributor

My son and I managed to hit an Erie Trib for the last hour of daylight on Saturday after doing a full day of Christmas shopping. After talking to a few other fishermen who "Didn't even see a fish" all day, we decided to give it a couple casts anyway. My 2nd cast I hooked into a nice sized Brown (20+ inches I believe) and although I did get a good look at it, it threw the hook pretty quickly... Three casts later, my son hooked into a really nice Steelhead and got it up on the surface before it too threw the hook. After that we both managed many more hits - but no hook-ups...………
On Sunday, my son went out here locally to one of the many stocked trout streams in the area. He fished for over 2 hours without even getting a follow.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page