Egg Cureing Questions - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Egg Cureing Questions

I'm planning to try curing my own Salmon, Steelhead, or Brown Trout eggs this coming season... I've been watching a lot of youtube videos on it and pretty well have the system figured out for what I want.... My goal is to make both egg sacs and single eggs....
But i'm wondering; when curing single eggs, has anyone ever tried adding food coloring to the process ( to make various colored eggs )? and if so, at which stage?
And when salt curing your eggs; anyone ever try using garlic salt instead of regular salt? I'm wondering if it'd work and maybe ad both scent and flavor to the eggs....
Now please keep in mind, i'm not just making these with fishing for Steelhead in mind. I'm also wanting to fish all my local streams with them....
And before I get the 20 responses that I should just use Beads, I do plan to try out beads this year! But till I do and begin to gain confidence in them as a bait, I want to always have single eggs in my vest too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Wow seriously... not a single reply? Either no one has tried it or they just don't wanna share the information... ok, thanks anyway !
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik Man View Post
Wow seriously... not a single reply? Either no one has tried it or they just don't wanna share the information... ok, thanks anyway !
This time of the year, I’ve noticed this forum isn’t nearly as active so don’t be surprised if there aren’t replies right away.

I would guess there are YouTube videos online that may tell you what you need to know. If not, there may be an old article in PA Angler and Boater magazine.

If you can’t find anything online, there’s a series of books called The Hunting and Fishing Library with one book simply called Trout that has curing instructions in the natural bait fishing chapter. It may be out of print though. Good luck.

Last edited by Trout Traveler; 11-17-2018 at 03:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 06:06 AM
New Arrival

I have used Pautzke Fire Cure the past few years curing salmon skein. It works well and use skein for float fishing Salmon and Oswego rivers. Get more bites on skein in Oswego. Occasionally pick up a steelhead or two on skein but I usually don't target steelies in October. Directions for how to use Fire Cure is on Pautzke's website. I usually bag or put in plastic container and store in the fridge. Usually lasts a few months or until the wife starts complaining. Use gloves, the stuff really stains the skin.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Thanks, there are hundreds of videos on how to cure Skein and even single eggs for tying up Egg Sacs.... but a good video for how to cure the eggs and make them firm enough that you can hook them as single eggs ( now that's very few )…. I know it can be done as I buy tubes of single eggs from Poor Richards each time I go to Erie, and they can be fished right on the hook. I just want to learn how to cure them to that stage, and figure out how to make all different color of single eggs like that. Would make my trout season around home a lot less expensive also... LOL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page