Lake Erie Steelhead Trip - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By LancFisherman

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Lake Erie Steelhead Trip

Hello Everyone,

It has been quite awhile since I posted here, but I would like to get back to it more regularly. I figured what better way than some steelhead!

My friends and I took a 3 day weekend to fish some tribs near Erie. We stayed in Northeast, Pa, as we have for the past 3 years since we started going. We normally stick to the smaller streams in that area, rather than messing with Elk and Walnut.

Day one was about a half day. We got to Northeast around 12pm, grabbed some lunch, and hit the water. Weather was good, just 53 degrees with no wind or rain. The creek we chose was very low and clear. With about 10 people in the only pool with fish in it, we headed out to the lake. I ended up grabbing 2 on a gold Little Cleo spoon, but that was it.

Day two was brutal. Rain all day, and the creeks got fairly dirty in a quick period of time. This would have been great, but the fish still hadn't moved to many pools in these smaller streams yet. The ones that were in the creeks seemed to be few and far between compared to past years. The lake was too rough to fish, and we ended up on about 7 streams that day. No luck for anyone.

Day three started out about like day two. Luckily, that changed after lunch. We hit the lake again and I managed 4, and both of my friends managed 2 a piece. Right at the end of the day I got my only creek fish of the weekend

It was much more difficult to fish this year than it was last year, at least for me. I caught every fish of the weekend on a spoon, where as last year I only caught one. In any case, it's always a blast to get up there and spend some time with friends catching some chromies!

I have 2 videos from the weekend for anyone interested:

Part 1:
Part 2:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg steelhead 1.jpg (1.13 MB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg steelhead.jpg (1.33 MB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg steelhead 2.jpg (892.5 KB, 7 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 03:09 PM
Frequent Contributor

Great videos. Thanks for sharing.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 05:12 PM
The Man

Nice! Never fished Steelies, they look strong man.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 06:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to 59Willys
Awesome job, I live by the streams, Not a good year "yet" for fishing the creeks. Been very low. Looks like you guys fishing 12-16-& 20 mile. I can see the Point from shore. Have you try fishing 4 mile by GE? A lot of work was done at the mouth for steelheads. 7 mile runs through my property, Pretty good near shore. I'm surprise no one hooked a walleye or smallmouth.

Last edited by 59Willys; 11-06-2018 at 11:11 AM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 07:02 PM
Sage

Outstanding!! Thanks for sharing!!

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59Willys View Post
Awesome job, I live by the streams, Not a good year "yet" for fishing the creeks. Been very low. Looks like you guys fishing 12-16-& 20 mile. I can see the Point from shore. Have you try fishing 2 mile by GE? A lot of work was done at the mouth for steelheads. 7 mile runs through my property, Pretty good near shore. I'm surprise no one hooked a walleye or smallmouth.
Yeah we fished 4, 12, 16, and 20. Actually all of the fish came at the mouth of 4 by the golf course. We also tried Cascade for a bit and 7 down through the monastery. Never tried 2 though. Maybe have to try that next time I'm up.

It's funny, we fish out in the lake every year and never hooked a bass or walleye or anything for that matter outside of a steelhead. I was think to myself there's gotta be something else out there that would hit a spoon.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 11:11 AM

Send a message via AIM to 59Willys
Forget what I said about 2 mile! It is 4 mile by GE and Lawrence Park golf course, Fishing for walleye have been pretty easy the past 3 years. I guess they don't like to be spoon fed. Picky eaters. This year locating perch was tough! Steelheads are way out in deep waters during summer months, Around the mountains.

Last edited by 59Willys; 11-06-2018 at 11:20 AM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 11:56 AM

Sounds like you were not there Sat and Sunday. The rain brought in lots of fresh fish. Walnut was crazy crowded with guys and fish. 4 mile was good as well. Lots of guys wont adjust tactics to the high water and dont get down to the fish. I hooked most of my fish in places i never saw a fish. Any current break or seam is the ticket in high water. The lake bite drops off during high water as the fish nearshore all are heading up the creeks.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Got ya. Yeah 4 mile is usually good to me. One day I'll have to get up there for some walleye or perch. Maybe even some Pike out at Presque Isle.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianahunter View Post
Sounds like you were not there Sat and Sunday. The rain brought in lots of fresh fish. Walnut was crazy crowded with guys and fish. 4 mile was good as well. Lots of guys wont adjust tactics to the high water and dont get down to the fish. I hooked most of my fish in places i never saw a fish. Any current break or seam is the ticket in high water. The lake bite drops off during high water as the fish nearshore all are heading up the creeks.

Yeah we were not there this past weekend. This would have been a couple weekends ago, just getting to posting now. I bet its great now! We got really lucky the past few years with the creeks being flowing well when we went. Not this time. The fish were only in a few main holes on the smaller creeks, and each pool had at least 5 or 6 guys standing in it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page