Spinner Blades - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 94
Back To Top
I’ve made my fair share of various spinners using french style blades. I’m looking to make some with different style blades. What are your recommendations of the most effective next to french style blades...colorado, indiana, or willow leaf?

Last edited by JasonC; 11-01-2018 at 05:06 PM.
JasonC is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 03:21 AM
Regular Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,192
Back To Top
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonC View Post
I’ve made my fair share of various spinners using french style blades. I’m looking to make some with different style blades. What are your recommendations of the most effective next to french style blades...colorado, indiana, or willow leaf?
I pretty much just use two types, French and swing blades. I have some inline type blades but I rarely use them.

What size blades do you typically use on your spinners?

With French blades I use sizes #1-3 and #3-5 with swing blades.
Trout Traveler is online now  
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 94
Back To Top
My spinners are between 1/16th and 1/8th of an ounce and pretty much are all under 1” long so I’ve found french sized 1 blades work well with a size 1 clevis. Best comparison to commercially made spinners would be a Mepps, except I use beads. I would like to venture into some inline blades and have noticed the 1/8th ounce Panther Martins go as big as size 6 blades. I think indiana blades spin at retrieval speeds close to french style blades and I find french style blades extremely versatile in that they spin easily at slow and fast retrieval speeds. What size spin blades do you use for what weight spinners? I mainly fish small streams and don’t have a need to use a french blade as large as a 3. Do you find french size 3 blades provide too much vibration and flash and spook trout or do you use them mostly in rivers and large sized streams? To give you some perspective, Valley I consider a small stream, Ridley Creek I consider a slightly larger than small stream and the Wissahickon or Pennypack I would consider a large sized stream. I don’t fish in any rivers at all.

Last edited by JasonC; 11-02-2018 at 08:14 PM.
JasonC is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 09:59 PM
Regular Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,192
Back To Top
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonC View Post
My spinners are between 1/16th and 1/8th of an ounce and pretty much are all under 1” long so I’ve found french sized 1 blades work well with a size 1 clevis. Best comparison to commercially made spinners would be a Mepps, except I use beads. I would like to venture into some inline blades and have noticed the 1/8th ounce Panther Martins go as big as size 6 blades. I think indiana blades spin at retrieval speeds close to french style blades and I find french style blades extremely versatile in that they spin easily at slow and fast retrieval speeds. What size spin blades do you use for what weight spinners? I mainly fish small streams and don’t have a need to use a french blade as large as a 3. Do you find french size 3 blades provide too much vibration and flash and spook trout or do you use them mostly in rivers and large sized streams? To give you some perspective, Valley I consider a small stream, Ridley Creek I consider a slightly larger than small stream and the Wissahickon or Pennypack I would consider a large sized stream. I don’t fish in any rivers at all.
I don’t use any spinners that was less than 1/8 oz. I like to use larger spinners. I use a #2 French blade in small, medium, and large streams. I use a #1 French blade in small, shallow streams. I use a #3 French or #5 swing blade in large streams.
Trout Traveler is online now  
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 94
Back To Top
How shallow are we talking? The vast majority of the streams I fish, I can wade through every portion. 5’ would be considered deep in those streams and the average deep pools run about 3-4’. Calm portions with low gradient are no more than 1.5-2’ max.
JasonC is offline  
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 11:09 PM
Regular Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,192
Back To Top
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonC View Post
How shallow are we talking? The vast majority of the streams I fish, I can wade through every portion. 5’ would be considered deep in those streams and the average deep pools run about 3-4’. Calm portions with low gradient are no more than 1.5-2’ max.
I fish a wide variety of streams, from 10-15 feet wide to rivers more than 100 feet wide. I sometimes catch trout in as little as 8 inches of water.
Trout Traveler is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome