Making the Best of Difficult Conditions - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Trout 2003

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 01:04 AM Thread Starter

Extremely Slow Fishing

On Friday, I took a vacation day to go fishing. The heavy rain on Thursday made most streams too high to fish. I suspected the extreme cold front would adversely affect the fishing action, but I didn't want to waste the day by staying home.

I started late and drove to a small limestoner I had never fished before. I parked my car and walked quite a ways downstream and began to fish back to my car. For about the first 15 minutes I didn't even see a trout. The habitat looked good, so I kept fishing. I finally had two trout follow but not hit. After another 15 minutes I had a trout short strike, but whiffed on the hookset. I thought about leaving several times but I hate to leave a stream without catching a trout, so I kept going. I had a couple more follows and another short strike before deciding to head to another stream. It marked the first time this year in my limited fishing that I had fished a stream without catching a trout.

I drove to a nearby small limestoner and hooked a heavy trout soon after starting. I thought the trout was under control but carelessly lost the fish. The trout was a wild brown that I believe was around 15 inches. I fished several spots without any action. I was starting to think my 15 year streak without being skunked for the day was in jeopardy. I finally hooked and landed an 8 inch wild brown under a bridge. Unfortunately, that was the only trout landed there, so I left and went to yet another nearby limestoner.

I waded in and hoped for better action. I hadn't fished that stream in a few years. The action was no better so I switched to a plug. After about five minutes a medium sized trout followed the plug, but that's all he did. I tried that lure for another 15 minutes or so without any further interest.

I tied on a larger spinner, thinking maybe that would produce, what did I have to lose? I had a couple of follows, but no hits, and considered wading out and going home, but saw a good looking spot I couldn't pass up. After two casts, a feisty 6 1/2 inch wild brown piled into my spinner. I landed the line stretcher and wondered if I would get any others.

There was another good looking spot ahead, so I waded up to it. I cast my spinner along the seam of moving water. I felt a subtle take and set the hook. My 6' ML action rod throbbed and I knew I had a good fish. "Don't blow this one!" I thought to myself. After a few minutes, I netted this nice wild brown, which was 16 inches on the nose.

I was sure that was going to be the bright spot of an otherwise awful fishing day. I had another good trout follow but not hit. I continued upstream until I reached some deep slow water. I cast my spinner to the base of a large tree. Again the weight of a heavy trout tested my spinning rod. Could it be another hog? I netted the big trout and measured him; 16 1/2 inches; hog #2.

After a period of inactivity, I felt a sharp strike and set the hook. That brown was smaller, but at 13 inches still a good trout.

I continued upstream but had no action for the next 1/2 hour. I was sure that the fun was over. A small trout hit, cleared the water and spit the hook in my direction. I moved quickly upstream as the daylight faded. While pulling my spinner through a deep pocket I felt extra weight and set the hook. The brown took off and the drag on my reel screamed. The heavy brown dove for the sanctuary of two deep rocks but I manuevered him away. Finally, he tired and I was able to scoop my net under him. The brute measured 19 inches.

On the next cast, another heavy trout smashed my spinner. I set the hook and the big brown jumped two feet clear of the water, gave a mighty head shake, and the spinner flew out. A short time later, yet another big trout followed, but didn't hit.

I saw a bridge ahead, and knew I would finish there and walk back to my car. One more trout hit and took to the air and rid itself of my spinner, but it wasn't large.

I only caught six trout on the day, my lowest daily total of the year. Landing three big trout, tangling with a fourth and seeing another one helped to salvage the day. On all previous outings on that stream combined, I had caught a total of two big trout.

Birthday Fishing

Even though the action had been extremely slow the day before, I wanted to celebrate my birthday by going fishing. When I woke up Saturday morning it was raining (what are the odds?), so I stayed in bed a little longer before venturing to a limestone influenced stream I hadn't fished since late May. It was cold enough that I had to wear a light jacket and I wore long wading pants instead of shorts under my waders for the first time since early May.

It took about five minutes before I landed my first trout, an 11 inch wild brown. The water temperature was a chilly 54, which I'm sure was much colder than it had been a couple of days ago.

I caught an eight incher and then had no action until I reached a familiar pool, where I've caught many trout. Three consecutive casts yielded browns of 8 1/2, 10 1/2, and 10 inches. Then I got nothing for 20 minutes before catching a 9 1/2 and a 9 incher on back to back casts. That would be a recurring theme for the day. Lulls followed by short flurries of activity. I closed the hour with another 9 incher.

The next hour also produced eight trout; browns between 8 and 11 inches. I was surprised that I had not caught any sub-legal browns, which are common there.

To that point, my largest trout of the day was 11 inches, but my first trout of the third hour was 12 1/4 inches. A 12 incher followed, then a heavy fish darted out from a cut bank, hit my spinner, thrashed on the surface, and was gone. After another lull in the action, I felt a solid strike, which resulted in this nice 14 3/4 inch wild brown.

A short time later, I caught another 12 incher. In the first two hours, I hadn't caught a single fish 12 inches or larger, but my first four trout in the third hour were at least 12 inches. There was a long period of inactivity before I closed the hour with an 8 1/2 inch brown and a 10 1/2 incher. Six trout came to hand in hour #3, my lowest hourly total so far.

The action improved in the next hour and I landed 12 trout, all browns between 8 and 10 inches. The next hour was slow, though I landed three in a row in a deep pool that were 13, 12 1/2, and 12 inches. An 8 1/2 incher closed another six trout hour.

The weather turned noticeably colder and the action was non-existent. I wasn't even getting a sniff from a trout. Finally, a very nice brown trout drilled my spinner, then dashed around the pool like a mad fool. After leading him to the net, I snapped a couple of pictures and measured him. At 15 1/4 inches, it was my largest trout of the day.

I caught a 9 incher before arriving at a small tributary. I chose to fish up the tiny trib, and it was a good move, as I caught eight trout, including my only sub-legal brown of the day. A surprise colorful 13 3/4 inch rainbow was the highlight of my 1/2 hour on the tributary.

As I walked back to my car, I crossed over the mainstem and decided to try a few more casts. I caught five browns and lost two others in the short time I was there. More good looking water lay ahead, but I decided to quit for the day and make the 45 minute walk back to my car.

For the day, I caught 55 trout, 54 wild browns and 1 rainbow, all on spinners.

Last edited by Trout Traveler; 10-14-2018 at 07:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 05:49 AM
The Man

Nice
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 05:14 AM

First off, Happy Birthday TT. Next year you'll be 40 and then the really body aches start 😉

Way to plug and chug through the weekend. It was challenging weather to say the very least.
Trout Traveler likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout 2003 View Post
First off, Happy Birthday TT. Next year you'll be 40 and then the really body aches start 😉

Way to plug and chug through the weekend. It was challenging weather to say the very least.
Thanks very much. The aches have been around for a while.

Friday was really tough but I learned the last stream has more big trout than I thought.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page