Salmon River 9/23 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 08:22 AM Thread Starter

Salmon River 9/23

Drove up to the salmon river for my first trip of the season yesterday with one of my cousins. Started out in the morning above the Sportsman’s Hole. Virtually no fish movement and very little fish. Didn’t stay there long.
A few of my buddies were up as well so I gave them a quick call. They fished the ballpark in the morning with the same results.
Next I went to one of my little known spots a little lower down river. After a long hike through the woods I arrived at my spot and was pleased to only see about ten other fishermen along the whole stretch. There is a smaller hole there I generally fish and I was was surprised that it was in fact holding some fish. I’m guessing must have been about 30-40 fish in the hole.
I could see them swimming back and forth occasionally. I ended up hooking up about ten times but only landed one. I did have one big King on for some time with a stringer attached to it LOL. My buddies called me saying they went up high and tried Ellis but with no luck again. They did say there were fish in the Trestle hole but we never take part in that zoo.
My cousin and I ended up leaving at about 2pm. We were going to drive over to Oswego to fish. Another buddy informed me there were tons of fish there up by the dam. We ended up just stopping at McDonalds and heading home however.
I don’t know where all the fish went from the previous few days runs. None of the fish cleaning station appeared very busy.
My one smallish king landed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7476D176-BA8A-4760-8F0D-9F9E26FFA01B_1537791716717.jpg (1.46 MB, 18 views)

Never Misses
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 08:53 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by beagler View Post
Drove up to the salmon river for my first trip of the season yesterday with one of my cousins. Started out in the morning above the Sportsmanís Hole. Virtually no fish movement and very little fish. Didnít stay there long.
A few of my buddies were up as well so I gave them a quick call. They fished the ballpark in the morning with the same results.
Next I went to one of my little known spots a little lower down river. After a long hike through the woods I arrived at my spot and was pleased to only see about ten other fishermen along the whole stretch. There is a smaller hole there I generally fish and I was was surprised that it was in fact holding some fish. Iím guessing must have been about 30-40 fish in the hole.
I could see them swimming back and forth occasionally. I ended up hooking up about ten times but only landed one. I did have one big King on for some time with a stringer attached to it LOL. My buddies called me saying they went up high and tried Ellis but with no luck again. They did say there were fish in the Trestle hole but we never take part in that zoo.
My cousin and I ended up leaving at about 2pm. We were going to drive over to Oswego to fish. Another buddy informed me there were tons of fish there up by the dam. We ended up just stopping at McDonalds and heading home however.
I donít know where all the fish went from the previous few days runs. None of the fish cleaning station appeared very busy.
My one smallish king landed.
I had the same results yesterday for my first trip of they year. I probably walked past you at some point. I was fishing further down from that hole you were talking about. I had my 2 young sons with me so i go where there is less people when they are with me. I did have about 6-8 hookups but fish movement was very slow.

4B
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 10:27 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Hey Beagler, Glad to see ya out and fishing. Heading up on the 11th as part of my son's 16th b-day celebration..
Have other family heading up this Sunday for the week....
I'm sure the incoming rain will spur some more movement....
Take care....

LIVE TO HUNT - HUNT TO LIVE
TAKE A CHILD HUNTING AND PRESERVE THE SPORT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 12:08 PM
Frequent Contributor

Fish were everywhere on Friday - A lot of movement and people hooking up around the Town Pool. Once we figured out what we were doing; I hooked into 20+ fish but only brought 2 in ( one was Tail Hooked and quickly released ). And my son hooked 15 with 1 landed.... Was a great day for us as we both got our very first King Salmon !
Saturday however was a Fish-4-Free day and the river was packed with people. We tried fishing very briefly till a couple guys decided to walk down and literally stand in the middle of the river right in front of us. After that we just decided to pack it up and go do some sight seeing instead... Salmon Falls was pretty cool!
Afterward we drove to Oswego and took a walk down the wall. Only about 20 people fishing along it. But up by the dam, there were about 60 people in little clusters around what must have been holes. We didn't fish there, just looked for future reference....
Looks like our next trip up will be to either 18 Mile or to Oak Orchard as they are much closer to home. Would absolutely love to get into some big Brown Trout, and maybe a few more Salmon as well - Steelhead we catch all the time up in Erie, But we'll even be happy with those too.... LOL
All in all; Was a Great Trip and a lot of Fun Fishing. And we all look forward to doing it again!
By the way; all our fish came by drifting egg sacs on size 8 hooks.. Tried PowerEggs, artificial single eggs, and even a few real eggs, but only luck came on the Egg Sacs.....
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 04:09 PM

Thanks for the report. I look forward to your posts each year Beagler
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 06:03 PM
Banned

thanks for the reports beagler and congrats on the catch. ill be heading up this weekend after archery on Saturday.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page