Physically Demanding but Satisfying Day - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Physically Demanding but Satisfying Day

For several years, I had planned on taking a former work colleague to one of my favorite fishing destinations. Weíve talked about going there for a long time but were not able to make it happen due to conflicting schedules or inhospitable stream conditions.

Last week, I watched the stream gauges with great interest because it looked like we might catch a break and actually get to fish there. There was a line of thunderstorms headed that way on Friday night, but we decided to meet and fish there on Saturday.

The stream in question is a very scenic mountain freestone stream with wild browns and brooks. The trout are not large, but they are extremely colorful and there are a lot of them. We dropped his SUV at a spot several miles upstream, then drove my car to spot on the lower part of the creek, assembled our gear and walked in.
The stream was high, and the current was fast. You can see by looking at the banks how high the water had gotten. The stream had changed quite a bit from when I last visited it. On previous occasions, I was able to catch a lot of trout there in shallow water. But yesterday the trout were pooled up and hit almost exclusively in calmer water. The fishing was slow as we combined for only 10 wild browns in the first hour. Tim also slipped and fell on a rock but thankfully was OK.

The second hour was really slow. I only caught two trout to Timís three. We continued upstream, and though I considered leaving the stream to go elsewhere, I wanted him to see more of the stream. The fishing started to pick up a little for me, though Tim went through a long dry spell. I caught 7 wild browns and missed several others.
Then, while stupidly trying to descend a steep bank, I slipped, fell hard, and skidded down the bank into the creek. I scraped my elbow and bruised my backside. It shook me up a bit because I realized that it could have been much worse. It took me a little while to adjust and focus on fishing.

A short time later, a bee flew in between Timís sunglasses and stung him above his eye. It wasnít a bad sting and Tim is not allergic. He insisted he was OK, and we continued fishing, though I again considered leaving for another stream.

Tim had a long troutless stretch where he missed numerous trout but broke the spell with an 8 inch beauty. After that, his fishing picked up. We took our time wading around the fast water and steep banks but arrived at a beautiful waterfall and its tumble pool. It took us 4 Ĺ hours to reach that spot. In that time, we combined for 40 wild browns; 22 for me and 18 for Tim. The biggest was a 12 incher that I caught in the tumble pool below the waterfall.

We climbed above the waterfall and took a break to have lunch. We resumed fishing and the action was much better. All the trout we caught from that point on were brook trout, and they were particularly beautiful. Spawning season is approaching for the brookies, and their colors on this day, were simply amazing.
We fished quite a ways upstream, past even where I had fished before. Tim was doing particularly well and was having a blast. I really enjoyed seeing him do so well. He caught 54 native brookies in the 3 Ĺ hours we fished the upper water. I caught a comparatively modest 40. The natives ranged from 3 to 9 inches.
It took about 45 minutes to plow through the woods to Timís vehicle and though we briefly discussed fishing another stream, we both decided to call it a day.

Tim caught 72 trout on the day, which he told me is the highest number of trout heís ever caught in a day. 54 were native brookies and the remaining 18 were wild browns. I believe his largest trout was an 11 inch wild brown. I landed 62 trout for the day; 40 brooks and 22 browns. My largest trout was a 12 inch brown. We both had a lot of trout hit and get off as well. Despite the setbacks early in the day, Iím glad we stayed and had a great day.

High water mark

Beautiful spot

Wild brown with vivid red spots

Tim fishing a deep pool

Impressive waterfall

Tim above the waterfall

One beautiful spot after another

Colorful brookie

Tim with an especially vibrant brookie, with close-up

Tim fishing a productive spot
bigguy54 likes this.

Last edited by Trout Traveler; 09-23-2018 at 09:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 10:03 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Pretty nice pictures and a place to fish.
Trout Traveler likes this.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 04:54 AM
The Man

Nice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 10:59 AM
Regular Visitor

Vivid fish, beautiful! Glad to hear everyone’s ok
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 11:48 AM
Frequent Contributor

It's funny, it usually takes me at least 5 pictures in a post to figure out the stream (if I've ever fished it in the past, of course), but I knew it right away from your 1st picture and there's hardly any water to be seen haha! I'm very fortunate that our campground is 5-10 minutes away, now if I could only get to my camper more often...

I feel that it's very hit and miss in that lower section. Two years ago, I caught only 5 trout in 0.75 hours before I bailed and headed to the upper section (conditions were excellent). Last year, I caught 59 trout in 2.5 hours in low conditions (for brown trout) - stopped at the barrier between the lower and upper section. This year I caught 31 trout in 2.5 hours with excellent conditions. Now that I think about it, maybe these browns behave differently than 95% of the wild browns in other streams. Who knows.

As for the upper section, if there's water flowing, it can be a real field day! Even in low conditions, it can still be a really good day.

Glad to hear that no one was injured too badly as that is one place you don't want to have to drag someone to safety. Cell phone service is spotty at best in there.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 01:23 PM

Really beautiful area and awesome fish!! Thanks for sharing!! :-)

Benefactor Life Member NRA
Veteran - U.S.Army
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 02:39 PM
New Arrival

Very nice. There's a lot more to having a good day wild Trout fishing than just showing up and fishing. It takes a lot of research, homework, and weather watching to have consistently good outings like you guys did here. You could say, the is in the details.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 09:45 AM

That's a really nice outing right there Andy. I love the willingness to put in the work to get to the fish. Glad you made it back out of that place in one piece buddy!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 10:30 PM
Regular Visitor

Just for my curiosity, what size hooks are you guys using on your spinners there? I’ve settled on 10s, seems to be good for small wild trout all the up to the big stocked bruisers.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 06:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjb2799 View Post
It's funny, it usually takes me at least 5 pictures in a post to figure out the stream (if I've ever fished it in the past, of course), but I knew it right away from your 1st picture and there's hardly any water to be seen haha! I'm very fortunate that our campground is 5-10 minutes away, now if I could only get to my camper more often...

I feel that it's very hit and miss in that lower section. Two years ago, I caught only 5 trout in 0.75 hours before I bailed and headed to the upper section (conditions were excellent). Last year, I caught 59 trout in 2.5 hours in low conditions (for brown trout) - stopped at the barrier between the lower and upper section. This year I caught 31 trout in 2.5 hours with excellent conditions. Now that I think about it, maybe these browns behave differently than 95% of the wild browns in other streams. Who knows.

As for the upper section, if there's water flowing, it can be a real field day! Even in low conditions, it can still be a really good day.

Glad to hear that no one was injured too badly as that is one place you don't want to have to drag someone to safety. Cell phone service is spotty at best in there.
Hi Bjb2799,

I figured some would recognize some of the spots on this stream because they're so distinctive. I thought about not posting any pictures, but I think to not do so would take away from conveying the fishing experience.

I believe the lower stretch does get fished more than the upper stretch, as not too many people like to hike in that far and climb as much as you need to.

As for cell service, it seems to depend on your carrier. Tim didn't have cell service at times when we were fishing, but I don't have a problem with service there.

Last edited by Trout Traveler; 09-27-2018 at 09:46 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page