New Spinners - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By grousedog20

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

New Spinners

While the waters around here continue to rip on by, I spent the last few weeks tinkering with a few new spinners. Maybe some day the waters will drop, the buck will be harvested, and soccer will be over and I'll actually get to fish a few of them....or next spring at this rate.

sunfish alewife (1 of 1) by Jason Weller, on Flickr

french new (1 of 1) by Jason Weller, on Flickr

mad shad blueshad (1 of 1) by Jason Weller, on Flickr

mad shad goldenshad (1 of 1) by Jason Weller, on Flickr

mad shad orangeshad (1 of 1) by Jason Weller, on Flickr

mad shad redhead (1 of 1) by Jason Weller, on Flickr

rainbow (1 of 1) by Jason Weller, on Flickr

stream demon firetiger (1 of 1) by Jason Weller, on Flickr

the limit white red (1 of 1) by Jason Weller, on Flickr

frog (1 of 1) by Jason Weller, on Flickr
bigguy54, Shaef and Tony300wby like this.

Catch-and-Release wild trout.

Summit Park Spinners https://jasonweller20.wixsite.com/summitparkspinners
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 09:31 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Those are pretty darn nice. Good job. I may have to try a project like that this winter.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 07:55 AM

Great looking spinners...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 01:21 PM
Regular Visitor

Those look professional grade, great job! I made 23 spinners about a month ago and the waters have been blown out since. I want to try mine out as well, just waiting for a day off and the weather to cooperate. Fall stocking will be here before we know it also!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 06:13 AM

You make really great looking spinners.

Do you fish mostly for stocked or wild trout?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

Thanks! I fish mostly wild streams that have stocked sections, so I catch a fair number of both, but I also fish many streams that are just wild fish.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grousedog20 View Post
Thanks! I fish mostly wild streams that have stocked sections, so I catch a fair number of both, but I also fish many streams that are just wild fish.
Do you see a difference in the way stocked and wild trout respond to different colored spinners?

In my experience, color generally doesn’t make a big difference in fishing for wild trout, under most conditions, high or cloudy water excepted. The bright colors tend to work better on stocked trout, especially recently stocked ones.

Is that your experience as well?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

Well, it's one of those great debates. The tough part is, especially with wild trout, you only get one cast at them, so it makes it hard to "experiment" since the variables immediately change and the stream immediately changes from one place to another. When I fish with my buddies, we always make sure we have different colors/patterns on and we alternate who fishes in front on the smaller waters, and I'm not sure I ever notice a difference at all between catch rates. Sure some days, one color/pattern or person does better, but is it because it is better or because that is the one we fished over better water. Sometimes I feel the stocked trout are harder to catch...sometimes they are so easy it's not fun (ok, that was too much, of course it is fun!)

I fished the Gunpowder last summer...with extremely low flows and a lot of other anglers. I fished upstream with the standard gold/white colorado blade and landed 35 wild browns/bows. Some places I caught fish on consecutive casts (5 in a row on one stretch). When I reached the top part of fishing, I had two options...fish back to the car over water I already covered, or hike the trail back. I decided to mix it up and fish my "colorful" spinners back. I landed another 14 or so trout doing that. Would they have that the first time through or did I make better casts? Others I talked to were extremely happy with the fishing if they caught 8 trout, I had almost 50. We fly fished it the day before and landed 42 between the two of us, so maybe we are just better anglers ;-) (please note lots of sarcasm there....probably just luckier, but we fished HARD!)

I think that presentation is key, and you will make better presentations with a spinner you like and feel more confident about. That's why I make some of these styles, they look cool, guys like that so I think they subconsciously fish them better. I had gotten some bright orange blades in with a bunch of bulk blades once, made a few up and a guy wanted them all because orange was his favorite color and he absolutely slammed wild brookies with it... go figure.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 09:11 PM
Regular Visitor

That’s my experience as well. Seems stocked trout respond to brighter colors when just recently stocked. After awhile though, I use gold, silver, brass, copper, and black nickel blades and do just as well with each color. I’m now convinced it’s all about the presentation. Pressure decides how many fish you catch I think too.

Last edited by JasonC; 09-19-2018 at 12:50 PM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 08:44 AM
Sage

Nice lookin spinners!!

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page