Salmon fishing questions - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Salmon fishing questions

I'm planning to try and get up to NY this year to do a little salmon fishing for the first time. I know that the Falls is about 2 hours drive for me, just not sure how far to the salmon streams? And as I only plan to go up once or twice, I am wondering how much a 1 or 2 day fishing license will run me? and will I need a salmon stamp or anything like that? ( because I know that here in Pa. you need the Erie Combo to go for Steelhead in the tribs. ) Any info would be great. I'm going to have to find somewhere with decent access being that i'm a bit over weight... LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 11:36 AM
Banned

Go East

The best and well known areas are on the eastern Lake Ontario shores, with the Salmon river #1. Just remember that these salmon runs are world renowned, so expect crowds, very big crowds. The Gennessee river near Rochester gets a good push as does the Oswego river . See link I've attached. https://www.fishsalmonriver.com/ Have fun.

PS: General fishing license only.

Last edited by 1stlight; 09-04-2018 at 11:47 AM.
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 12:27 PM

There are many good spots for salmon in the western ny area. 18mile creek (burt dam) would be a good bet. Oak Orchard is another. Both have baitshops nearby that give updates. Also tons of facebook groups. The runs they get are more timed with a good rain, usually late sept-oct. Ny also has maps of all tribs you can download that show public fishing rights. Both stream have dams a few miles up that stop fish, best fishing is below dam for a short distance. Both turn into frog water.

All you need is a 7 day ($28), season is $50. Season starts day u buy and goes 365.

Now the oswego and salmon river are much bigger. The oswego again has a dam not far upstream. Fishing is more consistent, and a bit earlier. Cant miss is first 2 weeks in oct. ,

If you can turn n burn any day, you 100% want to hit it the day after a rain, any stream. Not like Erie, you must fish the water, not sight fish. The samon will go up river usingthe deepest, fastest water. Find a small pocket they can rest in, or a seam and its $$$.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 12:31 PM

The salmon river has lots of easy access areas. If your going to SR shoot me a pm a day or two before, i could give you a starting point.
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Thanks guys, all the info is very helpful.... Right now i'm just looking to drive up and hit it for a day or two, not really sure when though as I work, and Archery season begins here on Sept. 29th.... I've seen some videos on youtube where they were catching Coho, Steelhead, Kings, and large Browns all in the same river... Do these fish run at different times of year? or are they all together when they run? I know when fishing the Erie Steelhead, they begin running in the fall - but are still in the streams all the way till April. I take it that it's different with the salmon and such in NY?
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 11:25 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

They can run together but your timing and location must be spot on. Usually you run into pods of each but kings are usually dominate thru mid October. A nice mix is always a treat. Sound advice I could give as a General rule for SR is donít wade over your knees much. Itís a slippy place and the power is deceptive. Iíve gotten in some bad situations before, even in summer.
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 07:31 AM

Coho typically run early-mid September. Often in a few huge waves over a couple of days. Stragglers will run later, but in smaller numbers.

Kings are either wild fish or hatchery fish. The wild fish tend to hit the river early to mid september, the other come in late September to mid october. Kings are a bit more spread out and peak during high water events.

Steelhead again are from several strains. The biggest chunk come in from mid october into november, and stick around till april/may

Browns show up the same time as steelhead, but head out sooner.

There are always some of each in the river systems, but the best chance to hit all of them would be 1-3 week in october.

When the lake flips and the wind blows east in october you may also encountet lakers in the lower reaches.

If your super lucky you may even get an atlantic salmon.

Ive caught 4 species in one day several times. Ive caught 5 twice on a weekend trip. Coho, king, atlantic, brown n bow -- king , coho, laker, brown , bow.

Both times it was 2nd weekend in oct, after a big rain event on the salmon river.

Last edited by indianahunter; 09-05-2018 at 07:33 AM.
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

So, since i'm planning to go up on Sept. 21 and 22, what waters should I try fishing? Thus far I've only been looking at the Salmon River, but I know there has to be more places than that... I've also noticed that most of the youtube videos show people jig or lure fishing for them, aren't ya allowed to use live bait? And if so; What baits work the best? Like I said, i'm a complete novice here... LOL
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 12:44 PM

You will not find much in any other place at that time. Unless it rains a few days before. Maybe oswego. To early.

Very few use bait for salmon. Egg sacs or skein if they do. Most use fly's or fake eggs. Any egg pattern on a size 6-8 2x heavy hook is fine, or size 4 bugger/commet. Mustad c67 size 8 estaz egg is my go to. Orange, blue, pink, red...

Depending on current conditions i would think most fish will still be in the lake at that time. Some may be up river, they will be holed up in big holes. Sportsman, trestle.....

Likely you will want to focus below 81 bridge to the dsr line targeting them coming in. The whole area i mentioned is open to public fishing. Places like staircase, town pool, ball park, papermill.

Key is to follow what enters the river. When a big push comes you need to move daily up river to stay on them.
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 12:49 PM

Follow places like dsr, fat nancy, Whitaker, all season sports (where i drop my $) all do daily reports. Also join facebook groups.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page