First Outing of September - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 4Likes
  • 3 Post By Trout Traveler
  • 1 Post By Trout Traveler

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 06:51 AM Thread Starter

On Sunday I went to a favorite stream of mine even though I was wary of there being a large number of kayaks on the stream on a holiday weekend. Because of that, I started further upstream than I often do. As is often the case there, the action was very slow. I don't expect to catch a lot of trout when I fish there, the priority is to catch big trout.
A few minutes after starting, a small fish hit my spinner, popped out of the water and spit it out. It looked like a small bass. It took a little over 45 minutes to catch my first trout, a nice 14 3/4 inch brown.

It took almost another hour to catch my second trout, a plain colored 10 inch brown. I had a nice fish follow but not hit, and had another small fish hit and get off. Unlike the first fish I lost, that one was definitely a trout. I tried several different plugs and didn't get so much as a follow, and ultimately switched back to spinners.

As I reached an area where I've taken several big trout in the past, I waded closer to the far bank and cast from a different angle than I often do. On the first cast, a big trout charged out and hit my spinner so hard that it made a big splash on the surface. It's probably the hardest hit I've had this year. I set the hook and the behemoth cleared the water, then took off downstream. The drag on my reel sang as the big trout took line. I moved downstream and got to an angle where I felt I could better control the fish. I was afraid he would take off and the spinner would pop out, but after a few minutes I scooped my net under him. The hefty brown measured 21 1/2 inches.

After that, things were slow for a long while. After an hour of no action at all, I landed browns of 9, 11, and 8 1/2 inches. At the top of a split, a hog brown pursued my spinner. I crouched low to try to avoid being seen. The large brown followed the spinner to within a few feet of me, then returned to its lair. A few casts later, I caught an 11 inch brown.

I cast under an overhanging tree tight to the bank and immediately felt extra weight so I set the hook. I knew instantly that it was a big trout. It tried to burrow in the undercut bank, but I successfully kept him out and brought it in. The trout measured 17 1/2 inches. I didn't get a picture, as I only had my phone with me and it ran out of juice.

A little further up, another big brown struck. I had him on for a minute or too before the line went slack. The big trout managed to saw me off on a sharp rock. I only saw an outline of the trout, but I knew it was bigger than the previous large trout I had caught, but was likely smaller than the first one of the day.

Two fly fishermen were upstream from me, so I got out and walked around them, and skipped a long stretch to provide a large gap between us.

I fished up a considerable distance, but only caught two more trout; a nice 14 incher and a 9 1/2 incher.

I had already seen 6 or 7 kayaks and when I saw five more heading downstream, I decided to get out and walk back to my car.

It was a long hike and it rained hard briefly during my walk.

I drove to a mountain freestoner about 25 miles north that I had not fished this year. The water was lower than expected and I had to walk through long stretches of stream. I caught four trout from various pockets, ranging from 8 1/2 to 11 1/2 inches. I made a long cast next to the bank in a deep pool and felt an immediate hit. I set the hook and knew a big trout was on the line. I kept it from burrowing under the bank and brought him to my feet. I quickly measured him and snapped a picture. It was 19 1/2 inches. I have caught big trout in that stream before but didn't expect any in those conditions. I had one more big trout follow but not hit. I was close to my car and decided to call it a day.

I caught only 15 trout on the day, all browns, but three were over 16 inches and I had lost another big trout, so I considered the day a success.

Last edited by Trout Traveler; 09-04-2018 at 10:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

I hope the hot weather breaks soon. With the higher flows though, there should be a lot less stress this year than in most summers.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 12:19 PM

Nice Andy! really nice trout.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout 2003 View Post
Nice Andy! really nice trout.
Thanks very much! The 21 1/2 incher was the day maker. Not only for the size, but for the ferocious hit, and the fight that followed.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-09-2018, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Rather than start a new thread, I decided to add on to my current one.

Yesterday, I intended to hit a favorite limestone stream, but it was hit hard by heavy rain. It started to drop, so I waited to see if it would drop further, but it was hit by another rainstorm, so I made a very delayed trip to a large freestoner known for producing large trout. With the cloudy skies and cooler temperatures, I hoped for a banner day, but the stream I visited is one of the most fickle streams I know. I have gone there when conditions were seemingly perfect and the fishing was been terrible. I've also been pleasantly surprised when the conditions weren't good. It's one of the many things that makes fishing there interesting.

I drove upstream where the stream is smaller. That particular section is even more unpredictable. I waded in and on my third cast, a small trout pounded my spinner, cleared the water and spit the spinner out in mid-air. It took about ten minutes before I landed by first trout, an 8 1/2 inch wild brown. As I moved upstream, I cast to several excellent holding spots and received little response. I switched to a Lucky Craft plug, hoping that would provide some motivation for the larger trout. I caught only three trout the remainder of the hour, browns of 10, 9 1/2, and 10 1/2 inches. I had a follow from a decent sized trout, but no large ones. I decided to go to a section further downstream. I could have stayed longer in the first section, but I had a feeling that the action wasn't going to improve. I have a tendency to stay too long in that section and since I had gotten a late start, I felt I couldn't afford to linger there.

I drove to a spot I know well. I switched from the 6' ML spinning rod I use on smaller stream sections to a 6 1/2 foot ML rod. I tied on a larger spinner and pounded the far bank. A small trout struck and got off. I dropped the spinner into the swirling current and it was grabbed immediately. I set the hook and the heavy brown dashed downstream, aided by the swift current. I fully expected to lose the trout, but I was able to steer him out of the strong flow and to my feet. The brown measured 17 1/4 inches.

I continued upstream and landed two small browns of 9 and 8 1/2 inches. I had hoped that under the conditions the big trout would be out and actively foraging, but that wasn't the case.

As the next hour began, I decided to try something different than I normally would. With the swift flow on that stream, I often opt for a #7 Countdown Rapala, but instead tied on a #5 Countdown. Since the trout weren't as aggressive as I'd hoped, I thought the smaller size might be less inclined to spook the fish.

Browns of 9 and 8 1/2 inches were landed before I flipped the plug into a heavy run. The plug stopped and I set the hook. The rod throbbed as the big brown zipped between the rocks. After a few minutes, I netted the beauty, which measured 18 1/2 inches.

About five minutes later, another big trout grabbed the plug and after some manuvering thorough slippery rocks, another big trout lay in my net. That one was slightly smaller than the last, at 18 inches.

I thought that I had solved the big trout puzzle for the day. I caught a nice 14 incher and had a big trout hit and get off. Two other big trout followed without hitting. A hungry ten incher piled into the plug, followed by a surprise, very brightly colored stocked brook trout.

I hoped that I would land more big trout but none were showing themselves. I caught two 11 inch browns before switching back to spinners. Spinners produced four more trout, browns ranging from 10 to 13 1/2 inches, but none of the behemoths that I hoped for. Since I had a long walk back to the car, I decided to call it a day. For the day, I caught 21 trout, all wild browns except for the brook trout. 11 hit spinners and the others were caught on plugs. Three trout exceeded the 16 inch mark. I wish I had hit the stream earlier in the day. I feel like I missed some excellent early action.

The first big trout comes to the net

17 1/4 inch wild brown

18 1/2 inch brown trout

Foggy, rainy conditions

18 inch brown trout
bigguy54 likes this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 08:16 AM
Super Moderator

Nice fish!!

My name is Moss and i'm a turkey huntin' addict

I'm itchin' to see a red fox twitchin!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page