8Likes
  • 1 Post By bjb2799
  • 1 Post By bjb2799
  • 6 Post By bjb2799

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

August Vacation Outings

As I try to do every year, I typically take 2 weeks off in August and vacation with my wife and kids. For the past 3 years we have spent most of this time in the Poconos at our camper. Usually by August, the Pocono streams are down to a trickle, but this year was quite different. Actually, a few of the days were unfishable due to streams being too high (this was the case for all 4 days I spent in Southeast Vermont at my in-laws). I didn’t get out fishing nearly as much as I had hoped during the 2 weeks, but when I did make it out, I was greeted with excellent fishing... especially for August.

Outing 1 – Saturday, August 11th

I received a text message from my friend Matt on Thursday of that week, asking me if I had any interest in fishing a rough terrain, wilderness stream on that upcoming Saturday, as the conditions would be ideal. I had fished this stream once before with Matt and we did fairly well, so I accepted without hesitation.

This stream is a commitment to fish, as the hike to the mouth took over an hour. During the hike, it was raining pretty steadily, but we were staying pretty dry due to the canopy of the forested trail.

2018.08.11 by Brian B, on Flickr

Pretty typical sized brown trout for this stream.

There is a large waterfall on this stream. Here is a photo “behind” the waterfall.

Flows were up, which made wading difficult at times, but almost all good holding water produced action.

Double browns

Further upstream of the mouth, the stream was calmer, which made wading easier.

Only Brookie either of us have caught on this stream.

Habitat continued to be great beyond the point we hopped out, but the legs felt good after that excursion.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Outing 2 – Saturday, August 18th

After a 4 day trip to Vermont, we returned back to our camper Friday evening with a car full of homemade baked goods, fresh vegetables, and a variety of craft beer that my wife grabbed on our way out of town. My plan was to get out early Saturday morning for 2-3 hours and then be back to make breakfast, but I think my wife was hoping I would oversleep from the heavy beers and skip fishing altogether…

2018.08.18 by Brian B, on Flickr

I was determined to get out Saturday morning, so I drank extra slow Friday night ;-)

I arrived at the parking lot around 6:10 and after a short hike, I arrived streamside by 6:30 and made my first cast shortly thereafter. It was at that moment that I decided that 9:00 would be by stop time regardless of the fishing.

As the water was up a bit and every bit of the stream seemed to be in play, I feel I spent too much time fishing “unproductive” areas and didn’t cover nearly as much of the stream as I had originally hoped (fished probably only 60% of original target). I still caught a decent amount of fish, but I didn’t make it to some of the better stretches before my 9:00 stop time. Below are some photos from that outing. Great scenery and beautiful fish, but nothing too memorable. I’m spoiled in the fact that my camper is less than 10 minutes from this beautiful stream.

bigguy54 likes this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Outing 3 – Monday, August 20th

On Monday, I wanted to explore a new stream that predominantly runs through a state forest. When I arrived streamside, I was pretty disappointed. Even with flows running high in the surrounding areas, this stream was very small with tight cover. I walked upstream about 100-200 yards, but it still looked to be tight and narrow throughout. The pools were super small and I feel that spinner fishing would probably be rather unproductive. With that I was forced to go to Plan B.

I had fished Plan B twice before and did quite well in fairly low water conditions, so I was optimistic about fishing this stream in really good conditions. From the first cast, the action was non-stop until I hit the Posted signs and turned for my car. I caught a decent amount of trout from different age classes, which is always good. Like my previous outing, nothing too memorable occurred.

2018.08.20 by Brian B, on Flickr

2018.08.23 by Brian B, on Flickr

bigguy54 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Outing 4 – Thursday, August 23rd

On Thursday, I ventured further upstream to a section of the same stream from Monday’s outing. Similar to Monday’s stream section, I had fished this stream twice before in low water conditions and had done half decent. I figured the results would be pretty similar to Monday’s outing and nothing too memorable would take place.

Like Monday’s outing, the action took off from the get go.

The action remained steady and consistent as I approached a deep, large pool. In my previous excursions, I recalled pulling an average trout or two out of the pool, but no big trout that stuck out in my mind. There are a few larger boulders scattered throughout the pool, but other than that, the pool is devoid of any fallen trees or other “snag” debris. To me, it looks like a really good swimming hole. My first half dozen casts were retrieved with no ticks, bumps or follows; which had me thinking even more that this was a local swimming hole. As I’m moving upstream to move on, I fire a cast near the head of the pool and let my spinner sink a few seconds to reach the depths of the pool. Within a few cranks of my reel, my spinner abruptly stops and starts to move. Big trout on!

The trout was making some quick runs and didn’t want to surface easily, but after 30 seconds or so, I finally laid eyes on the beast. I immediately thought that there was no way I’m bringing this trout to hand with ultralight tackle, but I would let the drag system do its intended purpose and see what happens. It took probably over 2 minutes to finally bring the trout to hand. At 23” on the dot, this was the biggest trout of my life that I recall (I don’t track fish by size). A few pictures and he was back in the cold stream and on his way. I can’t think of a better way to wrap up fishing on a vacation in August!

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 07:27 PM

Exceptional outings! Thanks for posting. You have great stream shots and beautiful trout! That 23 incher is an amazing fish for any stream, but especially a mountain freestoner! Congratulations!

TT
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 09:43 PM

Looks to me like that hour up was worth every step.

A bad day hunting rabbits beats a good day of anything else!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 09:26 PM
Part of the Community

Incredible pictures! I love that first one with the train track.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 09:13 PM

Boy oh boy that is a big nasty holdover there.

I know right where stream #1 is and ya, it's a pain to get too. Just getting up over that fall is a pain in the butt. That's a place you fish once or twice and never again. The fishing is good but the juice may not be worth the squeeze when you can have better fishing muuuuch easier haha. It satisfies that explorer itch though. You think that one was tough go try the other one nearby. You'll think Stream #1 was a walk in the park ;-)

Thanks for taking the time to post all of that. That's ton of great content.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout 2003 View Post
I know right where stream #1 is and ya, it's a pain to get too. Just getting up over that fall is a pain in the butt. That's a place you fish once or twice and never again. The fishing is good but the juice may not be worth the squeeze when you can have better fishing muuuuch easier haha. It satisfies that explorer itch though. You think that one was tough go try the other one nearby. You'll think Stream #1 was a walk in the park ;-)
You're not kidding there. Prior to that outing, I last fished it back in the Fall of 2012, which seems like a lifetime ago haha. Definitely scratches that explorer itch and also lets me know that even though I'm getting older, I can still hang on the rough terrain streams. I've never fished the other stream you're referring to, but I know of a couple of people who have (including you) and it seems that everyone has their "own" way of accessing it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page