Two Days Fishing After a Long Break - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 7Likes
  • 3 Post By Trout Traveler
  • 3 Post By Trout Traveler
  • 1 Post By Takemrarely

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

I recently moved, and all the preparation involved kept me off the streams for a month. It has been the most unusual month I have ever seen for rain. I don’t remember seeing this much rain in August.

On Saturday I went to a trio of streams that I don’t recall fishing in August, since they are almost always too low. They are beautiful little freestoners with colorful native brookies and a few browns.

While sitting in my car, someone on a motorcycle pulled into the parking lot and was watching me intently for quite a long time. I had an uneasy feeling, wondering what that person was doing. I reached for the glove compartment to put some papers away, and the person abruptly started his motorcycle and rode away. I don’t have a carry permit, but things like that make me think about getting one.

It took a while to walk to the stream. I arrived later than planned and was disappointed when I saw a car parked near where I intended to start. I missed two trout early before feeling a solid strike. My first fish of the day was a smallmouth bass. I’ve caught them there before.

My first trout of the day was a 10 ¾ inch wild brown, which was followed by a 9 ½ inch brown. After that, I only caught two more trout that hour, native brookies of 6 and 7 inches. The poor action continued, and I skipped a long section to possibly get ahead of the person I suspected was in front of me. I only caught three more brookies in that stream, so my total after 2.25 hours was a measly 7 trout and three bass. I stopped to take some pictures of a beautiful waterfall that I feel compelled to visit on every trip.

The two tributaries often produce better fishing than the mainstem, and I was confident the action would improve. My first cast produced a 7 ½ inch native brookie, quickly followed by a dandy 9 ½ incher, an 8 incher, and then a chunky 10 ½ incher. It was obvious that the trout in that stream had taken advantage of the higher water and they were in prime condition.

After a brief break in the action, I landed a 7 ½ incher, followed by an aggressive 4 incher. I approached a fine looking pocket and my cast was dead on the mark. I saw an orange flash and set the hook. After a brief fight, I brought the 11 ¾ inch beauty to my feet, snapped a couple of pictures and released him. I was sure that would be my trout of the day.

As I continued upstream, the fish kept hitting. I caught a lot of trout, but also lost a lot. I continually had trout slip the hook within 2-3 feet of me. That hour produced 18 native brookies, ranging from 6 to 9 ¼ inches. I recognized a favorite spot ahead, which usually produces well. It didn’t disappoint, and I landed four trout in five casts. Two more got off before I caught a 9 ½ incher and a 9 incher.

I continued upstream until I reached the inflow of the other tributary. It had taken me 4.25 hours to fish the first tributary, and my tally was 71 colorful brookies in that stream, 78 total for the day. At least 20 others had slipped the hook.

I wondered whether I could manage to hit the century mark for the day, previously unthinkable given my poor start. The tributary I was about to fish was tiny, but the flow was good. At first, the fishing was a little slow, but when I reached a little pool, the trout again started to pile up. Over the next 1.75 hours, the little brookies continued to smash my spinner. At one point, I caught trout on four consecutive casts. After pulling in my 99th trout, a dandy 10 ¾ incher, I decided to only go up as far as the next mini-waterfall. I pulled in 11 more trout in that time and decided that I’d had enough. My back and legs were extremely sore, and I had an hour-plus walk back, so I returned to the car.

My first two trout of the day were wild browns, but after that it was brookies rampant. I finished the day with a 110 trout; all native brooks except for the two browns. I also caught three smallmouth bass. I think I had close to 30 trout slip the hook. It is the highest total I’ve ever caught in one day in the month of August. All trout hit spinners.

Although most of the trout were predictably small, I was happy with the size of some of the brook trout I caught. And of course, their beauty can’t be beat.

A size breakdown follows:

< 7": 49
7-8”: 35
8-9”: 9
9-10”: 10
10-11”: 6
11" +: 1

A true river monster[IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/images/Huntingpa_toucan/smilies/tango_face_grin.png[/IMG]

Continued in next post
Loggy, bigguy54 and BigJob like this.

Last edited by Trout Traveler; 08-28-2018 at 11:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

Continued from previous post

Sunday

On Sunday, I returned to a stream that I had fished earlier in the year that has a good number of big trout. The creek was at a perfect level and when my stream thermometer showed 62 degrees, my expectations were high. Unfortunately, I got off to a slow start.

It took several minutes before I even had a follow, and several more before I had a strike. In a familiar pool at a bend in the creek, I felt extra weight and set the hook. A nice trout dove deep but was soon subdued. My first trout of the day was a surprise 12 ¾ inch rainbow. I had caught rainbows in other parts of the creek, but in the section I was in, I had only caught browns. About 10 minutes later, I lost a small trout, then landed a 9 ½ inch wild brown. After an extended stretch with only one follow, I switched to a Lucky Craft plug. It produced only one trout, but it was a nice 14 inch wild brown. It was also the last trout of the first hour I fished.

Angling hour number two was only slightly better. I caught browns of 8 ½, 9, and 9 ½ on spinners, and a 15 inch brown on a #5 Countdown Rapala. I was surprised at the lack of action, given the conditions. It was sunny, but I’ve had good days there under sunny conditions before.

The next hour began with an 8 ½ inch brown attacking my Rapala, but after several minutes with no response, I switched back to a spinner. I caught a nice 13 ¾ inch brown, followed by a 10 ½ and a 10 incher. Just before the end of the hour, I decided to try yet another plug, a Yozuri Pin’s Minnow. The switch resulted in a 14 ¾ inch brown, but no other trout.

I tried a different spinner, but only landed three trout in the next hour, but one was a nice 15 ½ inch wild brown. I was near my car but decided to fish a little longer. I caught five more trout and one bass in the remainder of the time I was there. The fish ranged from 8 ½ to 13 inches.

I fished that stream for 5.25 hours and landed only 20 trout, a low number given the conditions. I had hoped to catch at least a big trout or two but didn’t even see a trout that was over 16 inches.

Returning to my car, I thought about heading to small freestoner that I know well, but instead chose to gamble and head to one of my favorite big trout haunts, even though the water level was high. I arrived and headed for the stream to take the water temperature. The stream tends to warm in July and August, but the temperature was an excellent 62 degrees.

Shortly after starting, a medium sized brown smashed my spinner, cleared the water and threw the spinner in mid-air. A few minutes later, a feisty 8 incher hooked itself on my large spinner. About 10 minutes passed before a 9 inch wild brown raced across the swift flow to hammer the spinner.

I reached a favorite pool, where I’ve caught several large trout, but only had a small trout chase my spinner. I tried a large Countdown Rapala but had no interest from the trout community. I tied on a large Lucky Craft plug in the next section to see if that would stimulate more interest.

As the plug danced through the current, I saw a large dark shadow trailing the plug. It followed it but didn’t hit, but it was the first hog I’d seen all day, and it was easily 20 inches long. Two casts later, a heavy trout darted in and grabbed my plug. It cleared the water twice but could not shake free. It measured 16 ½ inches and was my largest trout of the day to that point.

That point didn’t last long, as on the next cast, another heavy trout drilled the plug. While I fought the big trout, the same hog brown that had tracked my plug before, followed the hooked brown to within several feet of me before hastily departing. I landed the heavy fish, which was 17 inches long.

Browns of 11 and 8 ½ inches fell to the plug and then I had a long dry spell. I switched back to a large spinner, which I used the rest of the time I fished. I caught 7 more browns, highlighted by a 16 ¾ incher and a 14 ½ incher.

For the day, I caught 34 trout and 1 smallmouth bass. 33 of the trout were browns, with the other being a rainbow. 25 of the trout hit spinners, with the remainder caught on plugs. Three browns exceeded 16 inches, with two more between 15 and 16 inches.

I was extremely happy to be back on the water again and was satisfied with the weekend results. I look forward to my next outing.

Loggy, bigguy54 and BigJob like this.

Last edited by Trout Traveler; 08-28-2018 at 06:00 AM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 04:55 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Nice fish and good story.

About that carry permit.....get it!
.257 likes this.

“I prefer my kid hunt and fish rather than steal and deal,”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 08:16 AM
Part of the Community

Those first few brookies are vibrant! And that waterfall is quite a geologic feature. It seems like it would be a pretty well accessed and recognized landmark in the area you were fishing.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 12:50 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Concealed carry permit and sidearm.
Better to have them and not need them then to need them and not have them.

I think you were real lucky there....

LIVE TO HUNT - HUNT TO LIVE
TAKE A CHILD HUNTING AND PRESERVE THE SPORT
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 01:00 PM

Surprisingly its not. Only locals really know about it and it's not a tourist attraction. Odd.

Well done Andy, glad to see you back on the water my friend!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 02:04 PM

Great story, thanks for sharing!!! :-)

Benefactor Life Member NRA
Veteran - U.S.Army
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takemrarely View Post
Nice fish and good story.

About that carry permit.....get it!
TT: Thanks. I’ve been thinking about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutdoorsmen View Post
Those first few brookies are vibrant! And that waterfall is quite a geologic feature. It seems like it would be a pretty well accessed and recognized landmark in the area you were fishing.
TT: I think it’s well known in that area and I see people hiking in just to photograph it, but not a lot.

I’ve caught colorful brookies there before, but not like some I caught this last time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIGHT POINT View Post
Concealed carry permit and sidearm.
Better to have them and not need them then to need them and not have them.

I think you were real lucky there....
TT: I think so too. It also is reminder to be aware of your surroundings. I was totally absorbed in what I was doing and happened to notice the guy because I heard a noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout 2003 View Post
Surprisingly its not. Only locals really know about it and it's not a tourist attraction. Odd.

Well done Andy, glad to see you back on the water my friend!
TT: Thanks! I was a little rusty at first and was missing the mark with my casts, but adjusted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguy54 View Post
Great story, thanks for sharing!!! :-)
TT: Thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page