Anyone Thinking Salmon Yet? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 07:35 AM Thread Starter

Anyone Thinking Salmon Yet?

I know a few of my buddies have been doing very well in the lake but are any of you gentlemen getting pumped up for the seasonal run? Won't be too much longer.

Never Misses
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 11:02 AM

You bet! Made a trip up to the lake in july and went 22/30. Pretty crazy for sure.

I have plans for 4 days mid october, and hope to get an early trip in. hard to a 15 hour round trip unless its for a few days.

My hooks and fly material came last week. Will sit down and crank out my 250 flies wed. I bought a new rod & reel last fall, luck was good and i won a rod/reel/waders/boot raffle this spring.

Last fall was one of the best i remember. 2 trips and was into fish every day.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 12:48 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Was up there a couple weeks ago and was out on the lake with friends.
Caught 2 Kings and an Atlantic.
Took some time to scout out my favorite SR haunts and caught some great smallies.
Kind of weird though being on the SR all by my self knowing that it will soon be elbow to elbow with fanatical Salmon fisherman.
Water was way low at 185. Did go up one day on the last scheduled release day, but it was not enough to trigger anything.
Need some decent rain otherwise it's going to be a painstaking trickle of fish over and over and over with no real big pushes..
A new diversion was installed just below the Altmar bridge and the ramp was reinforced with some huge boulders. From what I have heard, the outfitters are glad for it.
The news of good lake reports have all the usual lodges and places to stay were already all booked up already when I stopped by to see my usual folks...and they're booked up right through October.
My brother procrastinated but I was able to get him a room and that was last month.
Saw an awful lot of deer while going up and down the SR so be careful traveling in the early morning hours, they were everywhere.

Good luck and be kind to those fishing next to and near you, it may be me

LIVE TO HUNT - HUNT TO LIVE
TAKE A CHILD HUNTING AND PRESERVE THE SPORT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 01:47 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I look forward to Salmon season as much as archery season. Just something about fighting those fish to get the blood flowing. Might head up in the middle of September for a few days if the cohos run like they did last year. I do have columbus day weekend already booked as well. I think it will be a busy year this year. I tried booking my room where i always do months ago and it was already book so i had to settle for a different place. Strange on that note as i was able to book my room the last 2 years a month before i was planning on going. Tight lines

4B
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 01:40 PM

Yes sir, I've been checking the dsr report daily.

"live and learn, and then catch fish"
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 07:38 PM
Banned

I can't wait for it. i like doing some day trips during the week and hitting different spots on the river. The crowds will always be there and it's nice to sit back and take in the sights and get a good laugh. Already saw some fish being caught in the river by the locals but it's nothing to get excited about yet. Once I start to see multiple reports and reports from some of the guides my buddy and I know up there, then I'll be ready to rock and roll.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 08:06 PM

going to lake Ontario September 2nd fishing from the "Free Spirit"...can't wait.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 09:51 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohunr View Post
going to lake Ontario September 2nd fishing from the "Free Spirit"...can't wait.

You should do well.
The only thing that has upset planned trips is the wind that has caused major wave action on the lake even though it appears to be a nice day on land.
Hopefully there will be some rain by then so the fish start getting the itch to do their thing...
If anything you should be in shallower water than we were earlier this summer.

Good luck and post some pics...

LIVE TO HUNT - HUNT TO LIVE
TAKE A CHILD HUNTING AND PRESERVE THE SPORT
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 07:35 AM

i will. i just put new batteries in the camera. i just have to remember to take it.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 08:53 PM

I went on a charter last week out of Rochester NY, with chinook charters and we caught 12 keepers for 4 guys. We caught brown trout, king salmon and steelhead trout. The next day we only caught 10 fish. The fish were bigger the second day. We did not catch any lake trout.

Life Member NRA

Last edited by joe8768; 08-26-2018 at 08:56 PM. Reason: More infou

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page