Native brookie streams - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Native brookie streams

Which are closest to Philadelphia? Doesn’t matter if it’s state game lands or a state forest. Just want to try my hand at some native brook trout. I never have and I’m looking to cut my teeth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 05:15 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonC View Post
Which are closest to Philadelphia? Doesn’t matter if it’s state game lands or a state forest. Just want to try my hand at some native brook trout. I never have and I’m looking to cut my teeth.
When you do go, do the trout a favor and use barbless hooks. Even if you plan on keeping a few for the pan, many of what you catch won't be of legal length. Barbless hooks make a healthy, quick release much easier.
CritterBuster and loridr like this.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 05:26 PM
Banned

I have to say, one thing I never do is divulge where native brook trout streams are. I don't kill them I fish with nymphs and release. People catching and taking native brookies can really hurt the population by taking the biggest fish out of the stream. Brookies are so susceptible and easy to catch and some people just do not know when to stop. Asking someone where to fish for native brookies is like asking where your grouse coverts are.
1stlight and simoncool like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 05:38 PM
Banned

There out there and when you find one you will be proud and protective of your stream. Look for cool, shaded & clean water. Have fun!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 06:02 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods walker View Post
I have to say, one thing I never do is divulge where native brook trout streams are. I don't kill them I fish with nymphs and release. People catching and taking native brookies can really hurt the population by taking the biggest fish out of the stream. Brookies are so susceptible and easy to catch and some people just do not know when to stop. Asking someone where to fish for native brookies is like asking where your grouse coverts are.
And oftentimes the 7 or 8 inchers are the biggest trout. I never keep any trout if it can be avoid. Native brookies are the only ones that I find worth eating, and they get enough pressure without me killing a couple to eat.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 06:12 PM
The Man

I will tell you this Jason- grasshoppers or crickets on an ultralight spinning rod with 2 lb test or a fly rod, and you are looking at tons of fun on a brookie stream. Remember - barbless hooks. Very easy to damage those little guys when removing the hook.

Also very important to stay hidden - stay low and wear clothes that blend in. You should be fishing on your knees more than you are standing. And tread lightly, they can pick up vibrations easily.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 06:34 PM

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 06:40 PM

I would add to watch the water temps this time of year. We've been lucky with all the rain recently that most streams are high and cool, but that could change. If you're fishing the fall, avoid wading/watch for redds.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 12:15 AM

I would suggest checking the PAF&BC website for wild trout stream listings. The lists show the name of the stream, county, type of trout, etc.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 10:47 AM
Part of the Community

Looks like you should drive north about an hour and a half toward Stroudsburg you will be getting into some native trout territory.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page