Last Trip? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By grousedog20

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

Last Trip?

I've had the worst luck this year getting time on my favorite stream. I haven't fished it once under anything resembling ideal conditions. I'm not complaining though, it's stayed cold almost all summer and the fish are well fed. I had some time yesterday evening and I turned the CRV west thinking I'd have to fish the tributaries again, but I was pleasantly surprised to find the creek in somewhat decent shape. High and off color, but about as best as I could hope for considering. I decided to give it a go. Wading was tough. The water was really moving. So, I tried to stay out and to one side, but there were a few spots I could pick my way across, although I wouldn't recommend it... I fell hard twice and soaked the camera bag pretty good once, so that's why there aren't as many pictures. I managed 47 in the few hours I had. I had to fish slow with the high water, so I didn't get to cover the water I wanted to. It's back to teaching Tuesday, so this was likely the last foray unless a miracle weekend time open ups and the rain gods take a long weekend.

1-1135 by Jason Weller, on Flickr

2-1138 by Jason Weller, on Flickr

3-1142 by Jason Weller, on Flickr

4-1146 by Jason Weller, on Flickr

5-1153 by Jason Weller, on Flickr

6-1160 by Jason Weller, on Flickr

7-1166 by Jason Weller, on Flickr

9-1179 by Jason Weller, on Flickr

10-1185 by Jason Weller, on Flickr

11-1190 by Jason Weller, on Flickr

12-1198 by Jason Weller, on Flickr

14-1218 by Jason Weller, on Flickr

17-1242 by Jason Weller, on Flickr

16-1233 by Jason Weller, on Flickr

One of my goals was a wild trout over 20"..fell a little short on that goal, but my other goal for the night was to catch a few on my USA Flag spinner. I've had a lot of fisherman ask me if they "really work". While I admit I purchased the blade a little for the novelty of it...I had every intention of making them to catch fish. I've already caught several bass on them, but conditions and time made a good trout testing impossible until yesterday. So I tied on one and went for it. On arguably one of the more pressured trout streams in the state, the flag spinner landed 15 trout, a mix of wild and stocked fish (though by August how dumb is a stockie?).

8-1175 by Jason Weller, on Flickr

Untitled by Jason Weller, on Flickr

bigguy54 likes this.

Catch-and-Release wild trout.

Summit Park Spinners https://jasonweller20.wixsite.com/summitparkspinners
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 02:24 PM
Regular Visitor

Beautiful fish and congrats! I'm a firm believer that color plays less than a minor role in catching fish when it comes to lures. It's all about location and presentation. The flag lures look great! What size hooks are you using on your spinners by the way?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonC View Post
Beautiful fish and congrats! I'm a firm believer that color plays less than a minor role in catching fish when it comes to lures. It's all about location and presentation. The flag lures look great! What size hooks are you using on your spinners by the way?
Most of the spinners I use a size #8 Eagle Claw, but the smaller ones I make I use a #10. I agree with the color statement and I actually tend to try and match my spinner colors to food items in the stream. I do better with gold on the streams that have a lot of crayfish etc...

Catch-and-Release wild trout.

Summit Park Spinners https://jasonweller20.wixsite.com/summitparkspinners
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 03:31 PM
Regular Visitor

I completely agree and for whatever reason, gold blades produce for me in every light and turbidity situation be it sunny or cloudy, clear or muddy water.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonC View Post
I completely agree and for whatever reason, gold blades produce for me in every light and turbidity situation be it sunny or cloudy, clear or muddy water.
I don’t think color makes as much of a difference on spinners as it does with plugs. I don’t think of spinners as being minnow imitatations. I think the trout are attracted by the flash and/or sound of spinners. I use gold the most, followed by silver, and copper.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 05:03 AM

You caught some very nice trout. I really like the 6th picture. The brown in that picture has vivid red spots.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 05:27 AM
The Man

Nice

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page