Stream Envy - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Stream Envy

I envy you guys in the East with your open canopy streams. Here is what I'm up against all the time in my area. Sorry guys for the pictures sideways, they are correct on my computer.

This streams contains native Brook trout as do most in my area, very few browns. It is about 8-12 feet wide on average and 6" to 2 feet deep with some rare spots approaching top of hip boots. The overhead cover is Alders and I am continually have to duck under or step over them to find open places for 10-25 foot flip casts. The rare large pools do exist where one can overhead cat for 30-35 feet but they are rare.

First picture is facing upstream, second is immediately downstream. That overhead cover is no more than 15 feet away in either direction. I happen to be in a riffle where the pictures were taken. Bottom content is rocks, stones and boulders virtually all covered in slime making wading very, very difficult.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0412.jpg (154.2 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0414.jpg (153.4 KB, 19 views)

Enjoy Mother Nature's Glory, everyday!

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 05:30 PM
Part of the Community

Its not all wide open streams here. Many miles of streams are rendered unfishable by rhododendron.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 08:51 PM

That looks like 95% of my fishing here in Potter. Learning to under hand cast long distances is essential in those situations.

"live and learn, and then catch fish"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 10:15 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Looks normal for me.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Well I havenít seen any stream pictures like that posted here from you guys. Sure there is bank side cover and very tall overhead but seems to me there is lots of room for long underhand flip casts.

The vast majority of my streams are unfishable because of the Alders!

Enjoy Mother Nature's Glory, everyday!

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 06:51 PM
Regular Visitor

A stream is rarely unfishable! Even if it comes to army-crawling up to the bank and lofting the lure into the water using slack line and my hand! This is somewhat sarcastic but not really, I'll actually go to that extreme due to the limited amount of time I have to fish anymore. I value every second!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 10:43 PM

Unfishable is not in my dictionary. It might be highly unprobable that I'll be able to get a quality fish clear of it's cover but I'm definitely gonna try and fish it. I don't have rhodedendron though. I've got creek willows and multiflora rose. Nothing infuriates me more than hooking into a big brown and having the rod or myself snagged in a rose and not being able to even fight the fish. Lol

"live and learn, and then catch fish"
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 06:45 AM
The Man

There are streams that are choked with rhododendron and also some alder swamp streams stretches similar to the photos.

But in the state forests and gamelands of PA there are also a very large mileage of wild trout forested freestone streams that are reasonably open. They typically have trees on both sides, so you have branches overhead and along the sides, but you have a casting corridor over the water.

I fish these streams with a fly rod, so yinz should be able to fish them with a spin outfit! ;-)

A lot of people I've fly fished with on these small brook trout streams do have trouble, though, getting their flies snagged in the vegetation a lot. It takes experience to learn how to fly cast on small, forested streams.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbert View Post
There are streams that are choked with rhododendron and also some alder swamp streams stretches similar to the photos.

But in the state forests and gamelands of PA there are also a very large mileage of wild trout forested freestone streams that are reasonably open. They typically have trees on both sides, so you have branches overhead and along the sides, but you have a casting corridor over the water.

I fish these streams with a fly rod, so yinz should be able to fish them with a spin outfit! 😉

A lot of people I've fly fished with on these small brook trout streams do have trouble, though, getting their flies snagged in the vegetation a lot. It takes experience to learn how to fly cast on small, forested streams.
Being resourceful is a huge part of being a successful trout angler. I think that applies to all tackle choices.

Last edited by Trout Traveler; 08-06-2018 at 12:31 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page