Two Welcome Vacation Days - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By JasonC
  • 1 Post By Moss
  • 1 Post By Trout 2003

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

I took two days off to fish on Thursday and Friday. I hadn't fished since the 4th of July and was anxious to get back on the water.

I didn’t start fishing until late morning. Due to flooding in my area, I had to drive a long way out of my way and then double back. When I arrived at my destination, as I feared, it was too high to fish. I drove to a nearby stream, and though it was high, it could at least be fished.

I waded into the mountain freestoner and began fishing shortly after 10 AM. It took about 10 minutes for me to catch my first trout, a ferocious 5 inch native brookie. 🙂. I had several trout hit and get off before landing a 9 inch wild brown, which hit in very fast water. That was an exception though, as I had very little success in the fast runs. Browns of 8, 7 , and 7 inches followed before a short lull in the action. I closed the first hour with another 7 inch brown, and three sub-legal brookies. Nine trout in an hour isn’t great action to begin the day, but given the high water, it wasn’t bad.

Hour #2 began with a 6 inch brown. A short time later, a 10 inch brown smashed my spinner and found its way into my net. Then I put on a trout losing clinic for about five minutes, where I missed every hit. Finally, a sub-legal brookie was unable to escape. The remainder of the angling hour resulted in three more brooks and three additional browns. One of the brookies was a nice 9 incher. The last trout of the hour was a pretty 11 inch brown.

I fished through a stretch that I thought would produce well, but it only yielded a 7 inch brookie. Finally, the action picked up and I landed five more brooks and browns, highlighted by an 11 inch brown.
The stream began to flatten out a little and the action improved. 11 trout came to hand in my fourth angling hour; 7 brooks and 4 browns. The fish of the hour was a 10 inch brookie. A spotted fawn crossed the stream in front of me at the close of the hour.

I hoped the action would continue to improve, but I wasn’t expecting it to improve as much as it did. I landed 23 trout in my last full hour of fishing. At least 6-7 others slipped the hook. The best fish of the hour was a 10 inch brookie.
As I continued upstream, my back really started to hurt. I fished for another hour before deciding I’d had enough for the day. In that time, I landed four wild browns and three native brookies.
I made the long walk back to my car, with my legs and back yelling at me the whole way. For the day, I caught 65 trout in 5 hours, all on spinners, which was much better than I expected when I saw the high water. 33 were native brooks and 32 were wild browns. The biggest trout of the day was an 11 inch brown, while the biggest brookie was 10 inches.

Friday

On Friday, I fished a favorite large freestone stream. That area did not have near the rain that the rest of the state did. I took a chance on fishing a lower section, hoping it wouldn’t be too warm. I caught browns of 10 and 11 inches, but when I took the water temperature, my thermometer registered 68 degrees, so I waded out and drove upstream, where I knew the water would be cooler.

As is often the case there, I had a long stretch with no action before I saw a nice brown gaining on my spinner. I sped up the retrieve a little, and the heavy brown put on a burst of speed and piled into my spinner. The brown cleared the water twice before I brought him to my feet. He measured exactly 16 inches. Unfortunately, while trying to get my camera out of my vest, he slipped out of my hand, so I didn’t get a picture.

I caught a 13 inch brown and an 11 inch stocked brookie before an armada of kayaks passed. Predictably, the action was non-existent for a long stretch after that. Finally, after over an hour without catching a trout, I hooked and landed a 10 inch brown.

I considered wading out and walking further upstream but decided to fish through a deep slow stretch. I was rewarded but a hard strike. I set the hook and a heavy trout burned line off my reel. I was surprised to see that it was a large rainbow and not a brown. I succeeded in netting the heavy trout, which measured 17 inches.

Not too long after that, I caught a 12 inch stocked brookie, then endured another trout-less stretch before landing a 15 inch brown. Right after that, I made a long cast, and a swallow, paused in mid-air to check out my spinner before resuming its normal activity. I enjoy watching swallows because they fly so effortlessly.
As I moved upstream, the sun came out, which is normally bad news on that stream. I caught only two more trout, a brook and a brown that were both 11 inches long, before wading out and walking back to my car. My waders were leaking badly, so I removed them and put on my wet wading pants.

I drove upstream to try one more stretch. A smallmouth bass hit and shook free. I had several trout follow and not hit. As I continued upstream, the action was non-existent. Near the top of the stretch, I hooked a 14 or 15 inch brown and a huge brown trout followed it in. I was so intent on watching the behemoth that I lost the trout I had on. The monster that followed was well over 20 inches. Before wading out, I caught a 13 inch rainbow.
For the day, I only caught 12 trout; 7 browns, 3 brooks, and 2 rainbows. All hit spinners except one, which I caught on a Yozuri Pin’s Minnow. Two trout were at least 16 inches, and the biggest was 17 inches. I had hoped to do better, but it was great to be on the water and see a huge trout, even though I didn’t catch him. I have a reason to go back!

Last edited by Trout Traveler; 07-31-2018 at 05:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 08:12 AM
Regular Visitor

Wonderful narrative and beautiful pics! That rainbow is a bruiser for sure! What area are you in that you got hit hard by the rains?
Trout Traveler likes this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonC View Post
Wonderful narrative and beautiful pics! That rainbow is a bruiser for sure! What area are you in that you got hit hard by the rains?
Thanks very much.

I live in the Hershey area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 04:50 AM Thread Starter

Swatara Creek crested at 17.55 feet last week. Flood stage is 7 feet.

I don’t remember streams being as high as many are now in August.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator

Those brookies are beautiful!!

My name is Moss and i'm a turkey huntin' addict

I'm itchin' to see a red fox twitchin!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 02:07 PM

Boy you are a hardy sole Andy!! I would have given up as those streams look HIGH. This rain has been nutso!! It's August and I'm struggling to find a place to fish!! Congrats on your mini vaca bro!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout 2003 View Post
Boy you are a hardy soul Andy!! I would have given up as those streams look HIGH. This rain has been nutso!! It's August and I'm struggling to find a place to fish!! Congrats on your mini vaca bro!
Thanks! I took a big risk traveling to that area. I stopped back at the first stream at the end of the day to see if it had dropped much (some but not enough). I thought about hiking in to one of the tribs and taking a picture of a waterfall that would have been very impressive with the high water, but I was too tired and sore.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page