Rods and casting - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Rods and casting

or I should say flipping. This forum gave me the trout bug so I got a few dumb questions. Big , stocked streams I'm ok on. Small mountain streams I struggle where you need accuracy, so I've been practicing , in the pool which don't make the wife happy, but she tells me just go fishing lol. what is best technique for flipping ? and I found I do so much better with old rod with the rings you can adjust your reel placement.( close to base of rod ) What rods can you buy that have the rings to set reel where your comfortable or close to the base. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 06:47 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

With today's trend of "minimal" cork I think you would have to find a custom rod builder...or troll E-bay/Craigslist looking for an older rod

“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?” Douglas Adams
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 08:40 AM
The Man

There is a lot of info on YouTube.

I found that it is much better to "lob" the lure than trying to use any force but every situation is different.

BTW I use my pool also. I test different lures to get an idea how they perform. I do worry about sticking one on the bottom.

There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 10:51 AM
Regular Visitor

I don’t have any experience with trout and flipping but I’ve flipped jigs for bass. I agree it’s more of a lob than a real cast. I use spinning gear which helps too. Just keep practicing, you’ll get it down in no time.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 02:25 PM

I think flipping is definitely the way to go. It’s easier to control, so casts are more likely to be accurate. There’s two ways to flip cast. One way is to open the bail and grab the line with your non-rod hand, rock the spinner back toward you and release when you make the underhand flip motion. The other way is to use your rod hand to release the line and flip.

To get the accuracy down of different length casts, you can practice various length casts in your yard or some other convenient place. If you have a frisbee and can land your casts in it, you’ll have the accuracy down.

I sometimes use side arm casts on larger streams. I throw a straight overhead cast maybe 5 times a year and only when I have no other alternative. Overhead casts can sail and the result is often a lost lure.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Trout Traveler; 07-28-2018 at 03:41 PM.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 05:31 PM

Settler -- The handle you are referring to with slip rings, is called a Tennessee handle. This should help in your search for a rod.

I just finished this one last week.

Dogface and slingpack like this.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 05:48 PM
Regular Visitor

Critter, that’s a gorgeous rod you made! And that handle looks perfect for flipping. I only use an overhead cast when there is nothing above me to get caught in as stated previously, they have a tendency to sail and the lure launches at a high angle. If I want a cast as long as I can possibly cast, I use somewhere between an overhead and sidearm cast, making sure my surroundings can allow it. Mostly, it’s a sidearm cast to keep it low but still gets good distance. The lure lands a little more softly I think too since there’s not as much angle on it coming into the water. The streams I fish rarely call for a super long cast so the sidearm thing works literally 98% of the time for me. What kind of lure are you flipping exactly?
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 06:07 PM
Regular Visitor

Dogface, they sell plastic hook covers for both single hooks and treble hooks if you’re worried about poking the pool.
Dogface likes this.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 07:53 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonC View Post
Dogface, they sell plastic hook covers for both single hooks and treble hooks if you’re worried about poking the pool.

I know but I'm too cheap to buy the and too lazy to use them and they would affect the action.

There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

I just bent the hooks down for practicing, figured exact weight would be best. That rod looks great critter, Building one looks like way to go.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page