To those who make their own spinners - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

To those who make their own spinners

I just got into making my own and chose to use #3 French blades. A general question I guess is do you think they are too large and will make too big of a “thump” and spook the trout? I mainly stick to small streams and creeks and want to start exploring Valley Creek but I’m under the impression the trout found there are spooked quite easily. Also, does everyone include a bead of some sort of color above the hook? Mine mainly use orange glow beads above the hooks but consist of gold beads making up the body.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 07:39 AM
Part of the Community

#3 is too big for trout streams. I think most use #1 french blades. I've used size 0, and they are too small. They don't catch enough water to spin properly. I do have some spinners I made with #2 blades, but I use those on large streams and rivers.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Thank you! Are you speaking from experience as to the #3s being too large?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 11:23 AM
Part of the Community

I know that #2s are too big most of the time. Even in big rivers, #2s are so wide and push so much water that its difficult to get them deep enough to where the fish are. I can only imagine that #3s would be even worse. I use #2s if I want to keep my spinner close to the surface, or if the water is very shallow, but like I said, they are too big MOST of the time. I assume that #3s would be too big all of the time.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Another thanks! The streams/creeks I target have pools of 5' max, very rarely deeper after a heavy rain, but the fish hang in mostly 3' or less riffles and pools. One of my best performing spinners has always been a #1 Mepps and I'm extremely comfortable with counting those down and using feel to target varying depths throughout the water column so a #1 makes more and more sense. I think I originally ordered #3s because I read somewhere that bulk blades usually run smaller in size than what # they are labeled. I'll have some made by this weekend to test out on Valley Creek so hopefully I'll have a report and some pics for everyone. Thank you again for the help!

Last edited by JasonC; 07-23-2018 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Added text
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 07:43 PM

I often use #2s. I sometimes use #3s on large streams. I never use anything less than a #1 because they’re too light.

Last edited by Trout Traveler; 07-23-2018 at 10:11 PM.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 08:47 PM

Worth, Lakeland and Hagen's are some of the larger manufactures of spinner blades. If you look at the picture below you can see the numbers are not the same across the board. Not sure where you guys are getting your blades, but the actual size maybe be different. Lureparts, Jann's or others are probably buying from from one of these 3, doubt they stamp their own.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CompareChart_French (1).jpg (75.2 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by CritterBuster; 07-23-2018 at 08:51 PM.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

I’m satisfied with #1s. Even if they turn out to be #2s. The streams I target are shallow for the most part however, I want to be able to keep the lure within the water column and the bigger blades cause the lure to rise so the smallest I can get away with is the better choice for me. Thanks again for the advice!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonC View Post
the bigger blades cause the lure to rise
Are you fishing/casting downstream?
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

I am not, I cast upstream and retrieve the lure faster than the current to keep the blade turning. There are times when I quarter cast and allow the lure to drift with the current so sometimes I’m retrieving the lure downstream against the current. This is when the rise of the lure is most noticeable.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page