Dangerous Fishing Trip - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Dangerous Fishing Trip

Have you ever been out trout fishing here in Pennsylvania and ran across quicksand? Happened to me just about 2 hours ago while fishing a smaller stream here in the Kane area. My son and I were taking our time and working our way down the stream trying for a few little native trout, when I took one step too many. Crazy thing is, the ground looked absolutely normal with sticks, rocks, gravel, Etc.... Yet when I stepped past my son, I went straight down to crotch deep without any warning at all ! And what's even scarier is; if my left foot hadn't stopped (on about a 1 inch tree root?) I may have been neck deep or worse. ( I did quickly feel around with my foot while I was trying to figure out what to do - and other than the root? - I could feel no bottom! ). My son went to step toward me to help, but he immediately began to sink also, so I told him to back away.... I finally managed to crawl out using a tree limb... My question is; has anyone else ever run into a similar situation? Cause this is the second time for me. But this time it happened in an area that other people may also fall victim to it. So i'm thinking of making some kind of warning sign for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 08:34 PM

Location: Live in Venango County. Hunting Camp in Warren County
Happened to me once while trapping muskrats near I79 in Mercer county many years ago. I had a heck of a time getting myself out and was covered in silty mud when I did.

Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

"When a pine needle falls in the forest, the eagle sees it, the deer hears it, and the bear smells it."
an old First Nations saying
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Not sure exactly what this stuff is, it's kinda greyish-white and dries white.... real nasty and sticky. Even the water turns white when scrubbing it off.... Me and my son have been talking about it a lot since it happened, and we've come to the conclusion that it's a much bigger area than just the spot I went through. It seems like there is about a 4 to 6 inch thick top of actual dirt and plant matter, then underneath it is this huge and wide area of that white clay type stuff. But unlike normal quicksand, this stuff has no firmness at all, you sink instantly! I'm hopeing to get back out there tomorrow to take some pictures, and maybe even do some probing with a pole to try and figure out how deep it is, and where it starts and stops... I'm also thinking of putting up some kind of signs of Danger so other people won't end up in it too. Cause like I said, it's right beside the trout stream and also close to the road, an easy place for someone to get into trouble.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 11:46 PM

call DEP, local or State police, maybe the news ?, it may be something else entirely, and it certainly needs to be properly marked before someone dies.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-05-2018, 06:20 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

bohunr, I want to go back and check it all out better before contacting anyone about it. I want to figure out if it's as big as I think it is, and as deep, because if it isn't - i'd feel kinda foolish having called the authorities over it.... I need to see if it's really something life threatening or not. Granted it scared the crap out of me and my son yesterday, and even now i'm a little scared of going back to the location, but I feel I owe it to myself and to anyone else who might fall victim to it - to check and make sure it's not gonna claim a life. And if it does seem to be dangerous, I will contact the forestry service and take them to it.
bohunr and Huntered like this.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-05-2018, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Went out today to check out the spot again, and it's all completely underwater from the swollen stream.... will have to wait now for the water to recede.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-05-2018, 07:48 PM
The Man

Be careful.
bohunr likes this.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-05-2018, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik Man View Post
Went out today to check out the spot again, and it's all completely underwater from the swollen stream.... will have to wait now for the water to recede.

thats extremely dangerous. someone steps in that with the water high enough, to the point where they sink like you did and they go under...help or no help, they could drown.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-05-2018, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

I agree, but the water is ripping so hard through there right now, no way anyone is gonna try wading it right now.... soon as water drops, I plan to post signs to warn people. and to test it all out and see exactly how bad it really is..... I am also going to contact the forestry service and tell them about it!
bohunr likes this.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 09:11 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik Man View Post
I agree, but the water is ripping so hard through there right now, no way anyone is gonna try wading it right now.... soon as water drops, I plan to post signs to warn people. and to test it all out and see exactly how bad it really is..... I am also going to contact the forestry service and tell them about it!

Don't go alone, take someone with you to spot you. Wouldn't be a bad idea to take a rope as well.
Majik Man likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page