Spinner Fishing....It's Not Just Chucking Metal - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 6Likes
  • 5 Post By Trout 2003
  • 1 Post By Trout Traveler

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Spinner Fishing....It's Not Just Chucking Metal

“When a man learns to cast a little spinner with the ease and accuracy of a dry fly, he begins to learn what spinner fishing is all about.He’ll fish the tough places in a manner the unsuspecting trout know nothing about. He’ll learn todrop it so that it tumbles around the very edge of a rock. He’ll hit the head of a tiny eddy with bull’s eye accuracy, and he’ll flip it far up under a cut bank. He’ll cast upstream and down with equal abandon, depending on what the currents demand, and learn to drop it in stillwater with barely a splash. Then he has arrived, and the Lord help the poor little fishes.They’re due for a bad time.”
I read this exert today, taken from 'The Trout Fisherman's Bible' as provided to me in a wonderfully written letter by Trout Traveler in regards to some recent adversity in his life. I thought it was fitting to tailor a post aroundbecause I've read few things that apply more to what I/we do and even fewer things that truly signify the fact that we aren’t just 'chuckin' hardware' haha and that the quest to truely master an an art is taking place not so unlike the smooth and beautiful art of casting a dry fly to unsuspecting trout. When done correctly both are things of absolute beauty and grace.
In recent days I went about trying to craft my own art work on the stream. My tools consisted of a hand crafted 5’1” MHX spinning rod and a Shimano Stradic FA/HG spinning reel. And of course spinners! My pallet consists of….well….some of the most beautiful places the great state of PA has to offer!
20190328172722_IMG_7402
When you have a pallet such as this to work with it’s tough to fail but the real goal of the art has to be willing to work and in this case that would be thetrout and in the photo above, one of my favorite places, the water ended up being a bit lower than I had anticipated so the fishing was less than spectacular and the artwork I was working on for this particular stream, well,I just wasn’t feelin’ it. While I wasthere I did pick off some nice carry over rainbows from the early season stockings

IMG_20180609_135913

20190328173634_IMG_7418

But not enough to have me wanting to stay. Streams are starting to get a tad low in my areas so other options were limited. I decided to try another section of the same stream but when I arrived I saw a fly fisherman had just started fishing the stretch I was thinking of fishing so I respectfully moved my thoughts on to what else could be out there. I decided I’d just work my way home and look at streams as I went since I didn’t have anything great in mind. Well as luck would have it the first stream I crossed was surprisingly in nice shape so I decided to give it a try with low expectations.

20190328225042_IMG_7517

I’ve had good days here and bad days here. Maybe a 50/50 split. It’s just one of those places. After the first 10 minutes I knew today was going to be the former…

My favorite flower the ‘Forget-Me-Not’ covered every inch of the stream bank in sunny areas.

IMG_20180609_134931

And trout after trout fell for my well placed casts.

20190328202200_IMG_7452

20190328221347_IMG_7476

Even though I had burned a large chunk of the morning looking for the right ‘pallet’to work with I was now intent on making up for lost time on my master piece forthe day. I meticulously poked and prodded my way up the stream sending cast after cast with absolutely precision to every likely looking spot. Many of which were rewarded with feisty hits for smaller trout.

20190328215240_IMG_7468

I’d worked well away from any easy access and spied a handsome boulder midstream in front of me. The left side looked awful ‘fishy’. In order to hit my spot I needed to cast under a log 10’ in front of me, curve slightly left past an overhanging branch and then slightly back right to its normal landing spot. This is all accomplished by manipulating the line in midflight. I let the cast goand the spinner sailed as planned. Under the log, past the limb, back on line heading left of the rock. At the very last second I could see that she was gonna fall short so I quickly extended my casting arm forward as fast as I could to remove all friction from the line and extend the cast the final foot it needed. With the softest of ‘ker-plunks’ the spinner hit home and received an immediate no trespassing notice from a heavy 18.5” wild brown. A fish well earned by a difficult yet well placed cast.

20190328223709_IMG_7507

20190328223729_IMG_7514

As I went to cross over top of the log I’d just went under with my spinner there was a massive Carpenter Ant battle waging between these red mid-section ants,and a gray species. The Reds looks to have the upper hand but time would tell. It was fierce none the less and I sat and watched for a good 5 minutes. These are things that your average person never gets to see and I feel bad for them.

20190328231554_IMG_7525

As I neared the lunch time hour and knew I had a decent ride home. I looked down to see I’d painted a picture ofover 150 trout in the morning. Considering the way it started I wasn’t expecting that but I like those kind of surprises!

For the next trip the artwork came to me. There were few flashy casts but brook trout often times paint their own pictures.

IMG_20180609_134521

As do many browns

20190401194521_IMG_7546

And when streams are as pretty as this it makes my job easy!

20190401182742_IMG_7541

20190401194927_IMG_7557

White(blades) ended up being the favorite color for the painting of this day.

20190401194532_IMG_7551

The fishing was very good albeit not great but the stream was pretty enough to warrant many future return trips and more exploration in the future.

IMG_20180613_155859_843

When I drive home I often reflect back on some of the things that I get to see while out spinner fishing. I’m grateful for the opportunities I get on the water and the ability to improve my craft year after year. I’m grateful that trout live is such beautiful and varying places, and the fact that over the years I’ve gotten to see places that I never would have otherwise. Spinner fishing is indeed a form of artwork but it takes these gorgeous places along with everything else to put itall together and form something special. I look forward to my next session behind the brush.

Last edited by Trout 2003; 06-14-2018 at 05:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 10:28 PM

[QUOTE=Trout 2003;3304247]“When a man learns to cast a little spinner with the ease and accuracy of a dry fly, he begins to learn what spinner fishing is all about. He’ll fish the tough places in a manner the unsuspecting trout know nothing about. He’ll learn to drop it so that it tumbles around the very edge of a rock. He’ll hit the head of a tiny eddy with bull’s eye accuracy, and he’ll flip it far up under a cut bank. He’ll cast upstream and down with equal abandon, depending on what the currents demand, and learn to drop it in still water with barely a splash. Then he has arrived, and the Lord help the poor little fishes. They’re due for a bad time.” (bold added)
I read this exerpt today, taken from The Trout Fisherman's Bible as provided to me in a wonderfully written letter by Trout Traveler in regards to some recent adversity in his life. I thought it was fitting to tailor a post around because I've read few things that apply more to what I/we do and even fewer things that truly signify the fact that we aren’t just 'chuckin' hardware' haha and that the quest to truly master an an art is taking place not so unlike the smooth and beautiful art of casting a dry fly to unsuspecting trout. When done correctly both are things of absolute beauty and grace.

I had been thinking of sharing the quote on this website myself, because it's such a great quote. It was one of my father's favorites. My Dad had a stroke and passed away in late May. The last time I read that quote to him, he smiled and said, "You've arrived." It's the best fishing compliment I will ever receive.

The Trout Fisherman's Bible was written in the 70s by Dan Holland, who was mostly a dry fly fisherman, but was by no means a purist. In the book there are chapters about dry fly fishing, wet fly fishing, nymph fishing, streamer and bucktail fishing, spinner fishing, bait fishing, lake fishing, steelhead and sea trout fishing, how to take big trout, among others. It also describes the various trout types. There is a picture of his wife at the beginning of one chapter, joyously bringing in a trout on a spinning rod with the caption, "Trout fishing is for everyone." It's a very unifying message that I hope spreads through the angling community.

You have some really beautiful stream pictures and great trout pictures too.
bigguy54 likes this.

Last edited by Trout Traveler; 06-16-2018 at 06:12 AM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 04:33 AM
Super Moderator

Great story awesome trout!!!

My name is Moss and i'm a turkey huntin' addict

I'm itchin' to see a red fox twitchin!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 07:24 AM
Frequent Contributor

Awesome looking streams. Thanks for sharing.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 03:00 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Beautiful trout and pics as usual.. thanks for sharing
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 03:24 PM
Banned

great pics and story
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 04:31 PM
Part of the Community

Great perspective and write up. I really enjoy reading these articles and I know how much of an effort it is to put a quality post like yours together. I've never been to the Poconos, but many of yours and TT's posts have me wanting to go explore.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

You ever decide to make that trip definitely let me know. I'll make sure you're on excellent streams or at least excellent areas the whole time.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 03:32 AM

I'm gonna have to break the spinning rod back out now. I've been on a streamer chucking kick for the last couple years but you're guys post's have me itching to make a day trip with the spinning rod again.

"live and learn, and then catch fish"
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Streamer chucking is a great past time too!! Nothing wrong with that my friend!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page