rod questions..... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By 4x4dad
  • 1 Post By Trout 2003

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

rod questions.....

I love this forum, both the posts and the pictures. I notice that a lot of you use ultra light rods, especially shorter ones. I'm an infrequent trout fisherman but it's amazing how many big fish that are caught on such light equipment. Do the lighter rods tax a fish seriously? Do most survive a prolonged fight? Also, why five foot rods? Why not light power rods? Are rods with Gloomis blanks better than St. Croix? (I'm a St. Croix guy myself but don't claim to be an expert or even knowledgeable).

Also, I'm amazed at how all of you share info. I remember how outdoor forums were all once like this, before the days of Facebook and Twitter. Kudos to all of yo

Last edited by slingpack; 06-10-2018 at 04:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 05:18 PM
Part of the Community

I used a St Croix trout series rod for one season and it was one of the worst rods I've ever used for trout fishing. No backbone. I prefer a small rod that allows me to flip cast in tight places, like rhododendron choked streams or even when I'm walking under a bridge. I would never use a rod longer than 5'6" for trout fishing on a stream. Even big trout come in quickly when using 6lb line and a small rod with decent backbone. Most trout are released within 30 seconds of being initially hooked. It might take a minute or two at most to bring in a giant trout and release them. I break rods pretty often. I'm back to using a 5' ugly stick rod now. Most spinner fishing purists would scoff at the idea of using this type of rod for serious spin fishing, but I've had these rods in my hand since I was a little kid and I'm very comfortable with them. They are strong enough for any trout in this state and they are virtually indestructible(a big plus for me). I've had that rod for at least 15 years. You just need to be comfortable with whatever you use. The reel is equally if not more important than the rod. I did invest in a good reel, and that has made a difference.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 06:07 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I'm at the other end of the spectrum... LOL. I use a 6'9" ML rod with 6lb spooled on my reel. I have no problems flipping casts where I need to even on little mountain brooks. I use that rod for just about everything from panfish up to walleye even got a few hybrid stripers + muskies..... it's sort of like an old flannel shirt. I had 2 - 5'6" ultra light St Croix's custum built for me in the early 90's before they became popular. #1 was a 1pc. that was so whippy that I lost more trout than I landed. #2 I had him make into a 2pc. which was better but by that time I was comfortable with the longer rod.

“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?” Douglas Adams
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 07:35 PM

I trout fish with a light 5 ft. St. Croix with 4lb test for spinners . Never lost a fish yet .
slingpack likes this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 08:23 PM

It's definitely a common misconception that small rods over play trout. You gotta have the right equipment for the game. Sure, if I go out there with a slow action UL 5 foot rod and 2 lb test I'll have to play a trout forever but I use a 5'1" MagLight with 6lb Magnathin. I basically allow trout to fight as much as I see fit. If I wanted to I could literally drag 98% of the trout I catch across the surface no problem. That's not fun though and I'd probably lose a bunch without some finesse. Even really big fish like the one I caught the other day might have taken me 95 seconds to land. Sometimes it feels like forever but there are no trout on PA that can stand up to the capabilities of the right equipment when everything is in good working order.

Very glad you enjoy the board. This place is slowly going the way of the rest of them but this forum is doing it's best to hang on. Fewer and fewer posts every year though so it's only a matter of time. Enjoy it while it lasts!!!
slingpack likes this.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

so true about these forums fading away. sadly, many of us are becoming dinosaurs. the outdoor world and the environments we silver skulls grew up in have changed much beyond recognition. i hate to see the old ways and values leaving us but i refuse to transition into what is being forced upon us.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 06:35 AM

What rod you use is very much a matter of personal preference. I like St. Croix rods. I use medium light action rods because they have much more backbone than ultra light. Unlike some other people on this forum, I sometimes use a longer rod on bigger streams. A longer rod helps in fighting big trout. I have three different ML action rods; a 6’ rod that I use on small to medium size streams, a 6.5’ that I use on medium to large streams, and a 7’ rod that I use on very large streams. I use that rod the least.

The only issue with using different rods is adjusting between them if I start with one and then switch streams where I go to a different rod. It’s easier to go from a larger to a smaller spinning rod than the other way around.

I use mostly 6 lb. line but occasionally 4. I think using 2 lb. with spinning gear is totally unnecessary.

Last edited by Trout Traveler; 06-11-2018 at 01:22 PM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4dad View Post
I trout fish with a light 5 ft. St. Croix with 4lb test for spinners . Never lost a fish yet .
How do you not lose a fish even in the course of a day’s fishing, let alone ever? I assume you are joking.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page