Two Recent Outings - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 11:54 PM Thread Starter

I haven't been able to fish much this year for several reasons. The weather until recently hasn't cooperated, water conditions were very high, and I had family emergencies to attend to as well.

We were dismissed early from work on a Friday, so I decided to fish for a few hours on a familiar limestone influenced stream.

After wading in, I flipped my first cast next to an undercut bank. A large wake trailed my spinner but I felt no hit. On the next cast, a big trout drilled my spinner. I set the hook and the trout burned line off my reel. It zoomed downstream but the trout soon tired and I led it to my feet. I was surprised to see that I had caught a rainbow. The stream is a class A wild brown trout stream, but some local people sometimes stock a few fish, though they aren't supposed to. The trout measured 19 inches, so I was off to a fast start. The action slowed way down, and I only caught 5 more trout that hour. The trout were wild browns from 7 to 13 1/2 inches.

Hour two produced 8 trout, browns between 5 1/2 and 12 inches. I had several trout throw the hook, most of them after clearing the water.

I knew I only had a little over an hour of daylight left, so I fished as quickly as I could. The action was better, and I picked up 12 more browns. I lost quite a few trout as well. My biggest brown of the day, a nice 14 1/2 incher, came to hand in the last hour.

I landed 26 trout in the three hours I fished, 25 browns and 1 rainbow. I lost 12 more trout. All trout hit spinners.

This past Sunday, I went to a familiar scenic freestone stream. The stream has a good population of wild browns, and an impressive number of big trout.

I parked my car, assembled my gear and made the long walk in. I had several follows before a trout struck. I set the hook and the colorful brown cartwheeled out of the water and threw the hook in the air, a scenario that repeated itself many times over the course of the day. A few minutes later I landed my first trout of the day, an 11 1/4 inch brown. I lost a couple of trout before landing an 11 incher. I had a troutless gap of about 20 minutes before landing browns of 9 and 9 1/2 inches.

After missing a couple of small trout, I cast into a likely looking stretch of pocket water. As the spinner approached a large rock, a big brown dashed out and smashed my spinner. This one took to the air, but the hooks held. The brown measured 17 1/2 inches and was my first big trout of the day.

About ten minutes later, another nice trout intercepted my spinner and I thought at first I had hog #2 on the line, but as I brought it to the net, I could see it was going to come up short. 15 1/2 inches, short of hog status, but a fine fish.

After that, the action slowed again before I caught a succession of small trout between 8 and 9 inches before a 14 1/2 incher came to hand.

A short time later, a trout pummeled my spinner and rocketed around like it was on fire. Again, I thought it had hog potential. As I pulled my measuring tape, I knew it was going to be close............ 1/16 inch short of the 16 inch mark. To be considered a big trout, it has to be at least 16 inches, and it wasn't.

About five minutes later I hooked a big trout. There was no doubt in my mind about this one, but I don't know exactly how large he was, because after clearing the water, a mighty head shake sent the spinner flying in my direction. I lost another trout before catching six trout from the junior division. The small trout brigade was broken by my second 15 1/2 inch brown of the day.

The next hour yielded 7 browns, plus three leap and be free trout. The trout were in order, 7, 7 3/4, 13 3/4, 10 1/2, 12, 15 1/2, and 11 inches.

I began the next hour by taking the water temperature to see if it had changed much from the 63 degree reading I took at the start of the day. It actually had dropped one degree. The first trout of the next hour chased my spinner all the way back to me before hitting. I was surprised I landed it on a short line. It was a nice 13 incher. My next three trout were small; browns of 8, 6, and 7 inches. Two more trout hit and threw my spinner before a 10 incher came in.

I cast into very fast water and a heavy trout immediately pounced. I set the hook and proceeded to battle both a sizable trout and the current. I fully expected to lose the trout, but was happily surprised. At 15 inches, it became near hog #5.

After that, the action slowed and I wondered whether someone had recently fished the same water. I managed to land seven more trout, highlighted by a top water-dancing 15 3/4 inch brown.

My mosquito repellent had worn off and I was getting eaten alive. Since the white nose virus has been wiping out the bats, the mosquitoes have really been out in force. Hopefully the bats will rebound. The action had slowed to nothing, so I beat feet back to my car to escape the biting mob and head to another spot.

I took a little break and ate the sandwiches I had brought before going to a different stretch of the same stream.

I parked my car and walked downstream before wading in.
The fishing in that stretch, like the beginning of the day, began with a lost trout. I had two trout follow and not hit before I caught an 11 incher and a 6 incher. I came to a very good looking spot and figured it had to hold a good fish. It did; a 15 1/4 incher came to the net.

Two casts later, I landed a 14 3/4 inch brown. After landing a small trout, I arrived at a deep pocket under tree roots. My cast landed right where I wanted it and a nice trout took the spinner on the drop. The big brown tried to burrow under the roots, but I steered him out and into my net. He measured 17 inches and was my long awaited second big trout of the day.

Three casts later, another good sized trout grabbed my spinner. Yet another 15 incher was added to my tally.

The fishing slowed to a crawl and I struggled to land five more trout, browns ranging from 6 1/2 to 13 inches. I had daylight remaining but decided I'd had enough and made the long walk back to my car.

For the day, I landed 51 wild browns and lost a staggering 16 more. Even though it wasn't February, it must have been leap day on that stream. I caught every trout on spinners. I tried two different plugs briefly without so much as a sniff from a trout. Two of my trout qualified as hogs at 17 1/2 and 17 inches. Seven were between 15 and 16 inches. It was a long day and my legs ached, but it was a very satisfying day on a beautiful stream.

bigguy54 likes this.

Last edited by Trout Traveler; 06-07-2018 at 05:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 02:47 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Great account of the action.....super pics
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 08:02 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

"I landed 51 wild browns and lost a staggering 16 more"

This year I can only dream of that success rate. While I haven't been keeping specific counts of my misses, I am sure my average catch/hit rate is well under 50%. A few days it has probably been around 10%. I have gone through multiple stretches of missing 5-10 trout in a row. Not just the little bumps either, even what feel like solid hook sets and brief action they are spitting the hook, often at my boots or the edges of the bank. I've tried everything - setting harder, reacting faster, rod angles. Nothing is working.

Those are some beautiful browns.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Thanks.

Without seeing you fish, I’m guessing you may have dull hooks. You can lose a lot trout right away if that’s the case. Do you sharpen your hooks or replace them periodically?

If you’re losing some right at your feet or the bank, that’s easy to do. In close quarters, it’s sometimes tough to keep tension and thrn they get off. A lot of the trout I have on and lose jump and throw the hooks.

Last edited by Trout Traveler; 06-07-2018 at 10:13 AM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 10:23 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Hooks are plenty sharp. I have a good diamond hook sharpener and although probably don't take the few seconds to sharpen as often as I should, usually when I check them they are sharp, and after sharpening them there isn't a noticeable improvement in my catch rate.

I'm beginning to suspect that Frank has been secretly sending me his new self ejecting hook technology to serve as a test subject.
bigguy54 likes this.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator

Beautiful trout!!

My name is Moss and i'm a turkey huntin' addict

I'm itchin' to see a red fox twitchin!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 12:28 PM

Nice, looks like a great day!! Thanks for the post and pictures!!! :-)

Benefactor Life Member NRA
Veteran - U.S.Army
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 02:21 PM

Great stuff Andy. You're a big trout catching machine!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 03:19 PM
Part of the Community

The water in the last stream picture is just beckoning to be fished! Great pictures and those are impressive numbers on big fish as per your usual
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 05:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjgeorge2 View Post
Hooks are plenty sharp. I have a good diamond hook sharpener and although probably don't take the few seconds to sharpen as often as I should, usually when I check them they are sharp, and after sharpening them there isn't a noticeable improvement in my catch rate.

I'm beginning to suspect that Frank has been secretly sending me his new self ejecting hook technology to serve as a test subject.[IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/images/smilies/sneakiness.png[/IMG]
I don’t know what my hooking percentage is. I know it varies a lot. On some days when the trout are following and short striking, it’s low. On some streams where there are a lot of small trout, I lose a lot because hooking small trout is difficult. I have days where I lose 5-6 trout in a row. It can be frustrating.

I used to use an ultra light spinning rod and lost a lot of trout because the rod gave too much. I’ve used medium light action rods for several years. They have a little stiffer and provide more backbone when hooking trout.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page