Waders or hip boots? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Waders or hip boots?

Iíve always used hip boots, quit frankly donít feel comfortable in heavy waders. From my trapping days I will wear neoprene when freezing temps but donít like to get into water up to my waist anyway. Just wear them for the warmth and protection from fall or splashing when walking in the water.

During trout fishing time it is a lot warmer. We canít fish for trout from Oct 15 to the following first weekend of May so freezing temps are never an issue. And I feel if the water is deep enough to go over my hip boots I have no business being in it-probably a good trout hanging place.

Have always used rubber hip boots, LaCrosse and because of trapping usually the heavier duty ones. But now that Iím sort of retired(still have a part time job for medical and insurance $) and approaching 70 too quickly I seem to have acquired some balance issues and donít remember the rocks being so slippery before.(havenít trout fished for over 15 years)

Been reading about all the different types of soles, felt, spiked, cleats etc but what do you guys do when you walk back to your vehicle?

Have a pair of felt soled, light weight hip boots from the 1970ís that I used to wear in the mountains of Colorado but donít trust them to hold water out. Sure do like the lightweight feel of them compared to my heavy LaCrosse ones.

Am open and welcome all or your comments. Have read some of the past threads on the subject but they seem to be early 2017 and older. Looking for current opinions. Thanks

Enjoy Mother Nature's Glory, everyday!

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 02:15 PM
The Man

Happy medium for me, Cabelas waist high stocking foot.
I have hip boots for low water and hot temps, but mainly wear the waist high.

Potter County
Gods Country USA
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 02:42 PM
The Man

I second what Joe said. Even if you choose hip boots go with the stocking foots. It is easier to keep your balance in them and much easier walking. I wouldn't be without felt soles, they do just fine on the walk back to the truck. I really like the waist highs, they keep me from wading in too high of water (not a concern when I was younger, lol) and still let you go in that little bit deeper water. When the weather gets too warm I just wear sneakers and shorts.

I should add I prefer the lightweight breathable material, not the sweat box neoprene.

Last edited by simoncool; 06-06-2018 at 02:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 05:25 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Check WI's regulations some states have banned felt soles . There are several "Eco Friendly" boots now being sold.... I pefer hip boots for trout fishing I mainly just use them to coss the creek to get better position on a hole(crossing at riffles below the target hole). You might want to consider a "wading" staff as well to help with balance issue.

ďWould it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?Ē Douglas Adams
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 07:00 PM
Part of the Community

I wet wade almost exclusively. Anything over 45 degree air temp and I'm right in there with the fish. I do 95% of my trout fishing from may-sep so cold temps are rarely an issue. If the air temp drops much below 45, I probably won't be fishing that morning anyways. For trapping I wear hip boots- Lacrosse.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 07:27 PM
Frequent Contributor

wet wade

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutdoorsmen View Post
I wet wade almost exclusively. Anything over 45 degree air temp and I'm right in there with the fish. I do 95% of my trout fishing from may-sep so cold temps are rarely an issue. If the air temp drops much below 45, I probably won't be fishing that morning anyways. For trapping I wear hip boots- Lacrosse.
Would you explain what you mean by wet wade and how do you do it.
Drags
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 08:03 PM

I wear stocking foot wading pants with a decent pair of boots. I often hike a few miles. I leave a few cleats in the boots for traction in the water.

Most the water I need to wade isn't much and I'm always on the move.

I'd wet wade...and have...but need to come up with options on my feet aside from old tennis shoes. Hate the sand/gravel/mud getting in my shoes.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 08:14 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by drags View Post
Would you explain what you mean by wet wade and how do you do it.
Drags
I'll let him answer but I think he means just wade in with a pair of jeans and sneakers. Get a pair of strap on metal studs for your shoes. You won't slip at all.

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 08:34 PM
Part of the Community

Wet wading is where you just get wet. Takes a lot of pressure off of keeping dry and allows you to move faster and sometimes cross a section where you might not be able to do so otherwise. Plus it really lets you fish longer and more comfortably in the summer. After putting miles on day after day, the cool water really helps your body to stay fresh. Cold water stimulates blood flow and healing. I took multiple ice baths each day for 5 years as a college athlete. I wear some type of lightweight athletic pants (you can use wading pants if you want) and I wear korkers redside wading boots. I have a few pairs of the pants because I wear them for running/working out as well. Just as long as they drain water pretty well. I have been through 3 pairs of the wading boots in the last 5 years. I wear them a lot, 50-75 times per year, between 2 and 8 miles each trip. I've never paid more than $75 for a pair. Just keep looking for deals. I also wear snake gators because I encounter a fair amount of rattlesnakes and copperheads where I fish. It just provides peace of mind. I've never been "almost bitten", but it could happen any time walking through grass and brush.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 08:55 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutdoorsmen View Post
Wow, you are tougher than most if you can handle being wet for several hours at 45* air temp.. I usually wait until the air temp is about 70* to put the waders away. You're making me feel kinda wimpy!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page