2Likes
  • 1 Post By bjb2799
  • 1 Post By bjb2799

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Last Two Outings

Fishing My Way into the Dog House – Monday, May 7th

Saturday, May 5th saw me stay out way too late at a neighbor’s Cinco de Mayo party – Strike 1. On Sunday, May 6th, I was voted in as the tournament manager for my twins’ travel baseball team, so a few of the guys took me out for drinks and dropped me off around midnight – Strike 2. How do you make it up to the wife on your day off… you go fishing on Monday in the Poconos of course.

So the wife was less than thrilled with me (for almost 2 straight weeks), but with my free time being so limited, I knew I had to sneak out when I could. Looking back, it wasn’t my smartest move, but after being married for almost 14 years, you can’t always be #1.

Streams were running with average flows, but the water temps were certainly colder than typical for this time of the year.

2018.05.07 by Brian B, on Flickr

Fishing started off really, really slow for the first hour and fifteen minutes.

But then just like that, the action picked up and became pretty consistent. Perhaps this is where someone had stopped fishing the previous day.

This stream isn’t the best from a productivity standpoint, but I really enjoy the scenery, which is probably why I fish it at least once a year.

A rare, wild brown.

After about 2 hours of fishing, I hit a good turnaround spot and headed for another nearby stream. Stream 2 is a productive stream, but it’s tough on the body – lots of crawling under the overhang and bushwhacking.

Sections of it do open up, but they are few and far between.

Not a huge numbers day, but it was nice to get out in nature and clear my head for a bit.
loridr likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Not Enough Time in the Morning – Tuesday, May 22nd

I was working from home on Tuesday and decided that the nearby stream flows were too good not to sneak out for a couple of hours. The action took off from my first cast and didn’t end until I hit the point where I needed to leave for my car.

The tint certainly helped me dupe a decent number of trout.

2018.05.22 by Brian B, on Flickr

First camera worthy trout of the day.

Not a bad run to have in one’s backyard.

A newly created hole…

… lead to a nice trout coming to hand.

After 2 short hours, I finally peeled myself off the stream and made my way to my car. When I looked at my pitch counter, it showed that I had caught and released 51 wild brown trout. Now that’s a great start to the workday.
loridr likes this.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 02:43 PM

I gotta tell ya. I am sure that we fish the same streams but boy can I never tell a stream from a pic lol! Glad to see you're getting out a little around kids sports. There is good new and bad news for ya there. The bad news is that your only just starting and the time spent is going to get far far worse as they improve and move up. The good news, however, ALSO is that you're only starting and it will be the best time you've ever had in your life. Plenty of time to fish after. My son is 16 and only has at most 2 more years left unless he plays in college which probably isn't worth the effort as a non-D1 athlete. I will most definitely miss our time together talking about games and the excitement building up to events. These are certainly some of the best times of my life right now. I'll envy you moving forward.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 04:34 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Good luck with the wife! LOL. Nice pics, and beautiful trout..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page