2018 St. Leo's Trout Derby - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 04:42 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

2018 St. Leo's Trout Derby

Son and I pre-registered for this years trout derby, of coarse when we did, they were calling for it to be 70 degrees and sunny... Anyway, we got out there right before starting time yesterday mourning only to find the stream looking like fast moving chocolate milk. Now I don't know about anyone else, but I myself have never had any kind of luck fishing those type of conditions.... But we gave it a try! After close to 5 hours of catching nothing but snags ( and not seeing any other fishermen catch anything either ) We gave up on the derby and headed to a nice little trout stocked lake on our way homeward. Once there, in about 2 hours time, I landed 23 trout while my son landed 5. And we missed easily 50 others..... So although we didn't win any money at all, we still turned our day around and had a fun time with it! Just goes to show; money isn't everything!
35 whelen likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 11:54 AM

I’m glad you were able to catch some trout on another waterway.

I drove by a stream in that area yesterday and saw lots of cars and anglers. I figured there was a trout derby and that was the case. The stream was high and brown. I figured that fishing would be extremely difficult and it appears that was the case. I drove to several different streams yesterday and all were high and muddy except one. By that point I knew if the fishing was poor on that stream that I would have to drive a long way to possibly find another stream that was fishable, so I left without taking my fishing rod out of the car. I drove on some roads I had never been on along with some I hadn’t been on in a long time, which I enjoyed. I saw two deer, a turkey, and a grouse.

On the first stream I looked at, there were two anglers fishing and one was holding an umbrella. I’ve never seen anyone using an umbrella while fishing.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Was the cleaner stream you found named Hoffman Run? if so, that's the stream that comes out of where we were fishing. It was the only clear stream we found after looking at about 7 others on our way back toward Kane..... I spoke to a co-worker who also fished the derby along with 5 others from my work place, they stayed all day and out of the 6 of them, only one ( NON-Tagged ) trout was caught. I'm betting that this years derby left a lot of tagged fish still in that stream!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 07:41 PM

glad your day turned around for the better, your son probably felt better after he caught some at the second place
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik Man View Post
Was the cleaner stream you found named Hoffman Run?
No, the stream I was referring to is an unstocked, class A stream.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Definitely.... atleast it wasn't a total loss of the day !
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Ahh ok......
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Just found out this mourning: out of the 675 + tagged trout they stocked for the derby, only 11 were caught ! And that is the total for BOTH days of the derby..... LOL
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik Man View Post
Just found out this mourning: out of the 675 + tagged trout they stocked for the derby, only 11 were caught ! And that is the total for BOTH days of the derby..... LOL
It shows the futility of fishing in muddy water.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Yes it does.... makes me very glad that I chose to take my son elsewhere to fish instead of grinding ourselves at the derby...... I don't mind fishing when the water is a little high and stained, but when it looks like chocolate milk, time to move to cleaner water.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page