Prospecting for Big Trout - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 12:54 AM Thread Starter

Today I ventured to one of my most prolific big trout producing streams. It was my first trip to that stream this year. Due to the weather and starting a new job, I've fished very little this year.

I parked my car, assembled my gear and walked downstream. Since I expected company on the stream on a Sunday, I didn't walk down as far as I normally would. About ten minutes into the day, I cast my spinner next to heavy cover along the bank. Wham! A big trout smashed my spinner and the fight was on. It took a little less than five minutes to land the hefty trout. The fat trout measured 19 1/4 inches.

"A fine start", I thought. Unfortunately, the action slowed to a crawl, not unusual on this stream. I caught only one trout the rest of the hour, a 9 inch brown. I had a long period of inactivity before connecting with another nice trout. I knew when I was bringing it in, it was not hog worthy. At 15 1/2 inches, it was close, but still a nice trout. I lost a couple of small trout before landing an 11 inch stocked brookie, which migrated from one of the mainstem's stocked tribs.

As I approached a favorite big pool, I noticed movement along the bank. Three fly fishermen walked past and then waded in, not 30 yards in front of me. I waded out and was tempted to wade in right in front of them, but two wrongs don't make a right, so I walked well upstream until they were out of sight before I reentered the stream. Unfortunately, I had only a couple of follows before two fly fishermen in a small raft came down the stream. Once more I waded out and walked upstream. I was tempted to go to my car and drive well downstream, but decided instead to hit an area that the boaters had drifted through maybe 45 minutes before. I knew it was a risk but decided it was worth it.

I caught a 13 inch brown in short order but no other trout found my spinner inviting, so I switched to large Lucky Craft plug. Sometimes the irregular action drives the trout crazy, other times you would think it was a fish repeller.

A large trout followed but didn't hit. I moved up and had follows and a small hit from another trout. As my lure passed between two large rocks I felt extra weight and set the hook. The trout rocketed downstream and cleared the water. Twice I brought the large trout to the net and twice it bolted away. Finally, I netted him and took a quick self timed picture. (I usually remove my sunglasses for pictures, but it was raining.) The big brown was 21 1/2 inches, my first 20 incher fo the year.

I moved upstream a short distance and made a cast. As I began the retrieve, a large wake trailed the plug, which is a thrilling thing to see. The brute intercepted the plug and I set the hook. The beauty cleared the water twice before finding refuge in my net. I thought maybe I had landed my second 20 incher of the day, but he measured 19 3/4 inches, just short!

After a period of inactivity, I landed my second 19 1/4 inch brown.

A short time later, a 12 inch brookie pounced on my lure. Two more trout, one of them large, followed without hitting.

I had a lull in the action, which was broken by another large trout. A yellow streak zoomed in and piled into my plug. I set the hook and it seemed like the trout tried to splash all the water out of the stream. After a thrilling fight, I netted this 20 1/2 inch beauty with a broom tail.

I moved up into a split channel and caught a 14 inch brown, then another big brown darted in and struck. That one was a very nice fish, but at 16 1/2 inches, it seemed small in comparison to some of the fish I had caught.

At the top of the split, I landed a 13 1/2 inch brown. Two big trout followed without hitting. I had a hard hit and set the hook. I battled the big trout for a few minutes before he gained his freedom. I saw two more anglers upstream from me so I knew I couldn't continue fishing much further. I made a long cast right against the bank where there is a drop off, perfect ambush territory for a big trout. As I retrieved the plug, I saw no movement, but suddenly the plug stopped and I set the hook. The behemouth shot to the surface and I was stunned at the weight of the fish. All the big trout I caught were fat, healthy fish, but this one was in a league of its own. After a lengthy fight, I snapped a couple of pictures and measured the brown. The tape stretched to 23 1/2 inches. It's the biggest trout I've caught in that stream in 12 years.

I walked back to my car, got a quick bite and drove to another part of the stream. I could see that it had been fished, but I waded across to the far bank. I had three big trout follow in that section but none hit. I lost a small trout and landed a smallmouth bass that was around 12 inches. I was really tired from wading in the heavy current so I called it a day.

For the day, I only caught 14 trout; 12 browns and 2 brooks, plus the bass. Half of my trout were over 16 inches, three were over 20 inches and a fourth barely missed. I lost one big trout and lost one that I think may have been over 16 inches, but I can't be sure.

I'm glad I went back in where I did and glad I switched to a plug. Maybe I should have switched sooner.

Last edited by Trout Traveler; 05-07-2018 at 07:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 12:57 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

BEAUTIFUL PICS woderfull storytelling

jim
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 07:58 AM

Wow! That's a good way to blow the dust off the old spinning rod!

When you fish large water like that, do you fish the large pools, as in covering them completely? Or, do you mainly fish the moving water?

Is it possible to cross that river anywhere at normal flow in hip boots?

What's your record for the most 20"-plus trout that you've caught in one day?
Trout Traveler likes this.

I can be contacted at [email protected].

Last edited by Trout 2003; 05-17-2018 at 08:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 11:22 AM

Man Andy, that one brown is a beast. You'da'man!!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

Frank, to answer your questions:

1.) I try to cover the water completely but the trout in that stream tend to follow a similar pattern. Most of the trout were caught in calmer water where there was some moving water nearby. On some days the trout are in the riffles. You just have to adjust to the day.

2.) There are spots you can fish and cross in hip boots. It really helps to have waders there though.

3.) My record for most 20”ers in a day is three, which I’ve done 5 or 6 times I think.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout 2003 View Post
Man Andy, that one brown is a beast. You'da'man!!
Thanks, it was a surprise. I was amazed at the weight of all the big trout.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 02:00 PM
Regular Visitor

Nice fish, and thanks for sharing the pictures!
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 04:32 PM

Now just imagine back in the day Andy when everyone kept their fish. Could you imagine what your stringer would have looked like on Sunday haha!!! You would have really turned some heads with a haul like that!
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 08:05 PM

congrats on a good outing ,nice pics . thanks for sharing
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 08:29 AM
Part of the Community

I love reading this thread every day. It really gets me in the mood for fishing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page