Back-to-Back Days on the Water - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By bjb2799

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Back-to-Back Days on the Water

This past Friday and Saturday presented me with a rare occurrence – no youth baseball on either day. With three boys on 2 different teams, we have been going 5-7 days a week with baseball practices / games / batting cages / pitchers and catchers / etc. since mid-March. Friday also happened to be the day that our Pocono campground officially opened for the season. Knowing that my fishing opportunities are limited, I decided I would hit a local stocked stream on Friday morning for a couple of hours while my wife was at work and as long as everything ran smoothly with opening the camper Friday night, I would hit a Pocono wild trout stream on Saturday morning for 2-3 hours.

Friday’s weather was perfect - overcast with periods of light rain. It had been over a week since this trout stream was stocked, but you would have never known. The action was rock solid for the two hours I fished. I was a bit rusty for the first 20 minutes, but after a while, I started bringing the stockies to hand at a consistent pace.

2018.04.27 - 4.28 by Brian B, on Flickr

2018.04.27 - 04.28 by Brian B, on Flickr

Usually there would be another 5-6 feet of shoreline at this point in the season due to the lack of rain, but not this year. The better flows seemed to allow the trout to space out more, which makes for a more enjoyable fishing experience.

Friday afternoon we arrived at our camper and were greeted with this hoof. Any ideas? Coyote? That’s my boot in the picture (size 10 ˝).

Since the opening the camper went pretty smoothly, I was able to sneak out for a couple of hours Saturday morning. I wanted to stay close to camp and not spend a whole lot of time hiking, so I narrowed my options to 2 stream sections.

The first section started off really, really hot, but cooled off after 30 minutes.

After about an hour and twenty minutes on the first stream, I decided to move on to another stream that I had never fished, but looked really promising from driving over it in the past. However, as soon as I pulled up to the stream, I was greeted with freshly hung Posted signs on both sides of the stream.

As a last ditch effort, I moved onto a section of stream that was close to camp, but one that I had never fished before. The action was pretty consistent and definitely warrants a return trip in the near future.

When I returned to camp, I found the boys playing more baseball. Gotta love their dedication.

Dogface and thebuckshow like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 04:11 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Great report and pictures....

Looks like the boys are both "lefties", definitely have to hire an agent now... won't be too long before their on the varsity field....

LIVE TO HUNT - HUNT TO LIVE
TAKE A CHILD HUNTING AND PRESERVE THE SPORT
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 09:54 PM

Geez last Saturday was no where near that nice down south of you 25 miles. Fog all AM and clouds with wind. Nice work getting out. I Definitely recognize stream 1 from Saturday. Water levels have been good as compared to the past 3 early seasons that's for sure. Hopefully that stays that way. Almost never does bit we're due for a good solid rain year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 10:15 AM

I like the design of that spinner in the third-to-last photo.

Looks like you had a couple good outings. Nice sharp photos, too.

I can be contacted at [email protected].

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page