New first day approach.... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Backwoods

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 08:27 AM Thread Starter

New first day approach....

Every year we are up at 5:00 AM. Every year we are standing on the banks of a creek around 6-6:30 AM, it is peaceful and quiet. Every year around 7:00 AM a couple more guys show up, it is a little less peaceful. Every year around 7:30 AM a few more guys show up, it is not very peaceful anymore. Every year around 7:50 AM a few more guys show up and the "who is that guy?", "I've been fishing this hole for 35 years", "Don't cast over me", etc., etc. begins, it is wearing on my nerves. I'm not one to say anything or start anything (unless the other person is blatantly being a jerk) so every year I roll with it, catch a few fish and move on. It wears thin though, it is tiring and maddening listening to bickering and dealing with a crowd (even a good crowd is still a crowd). For the last few years we have been talking about switching it up on the first day, going at it from a different approach but continuing to keep our "going on the first day" tradition intact.

2018 was the year for a change. I rolled out of bed around 6:30 AM. My buddy picked me up about 7:00 AM. We had a 40 minute drive to the area we planned to fish so we headed that direction. Got in the area around 8:15 AM. Stopped a local diner and had a magnificent breakfast (for about $15 for both too, great deal). Got to the creek around 9:30ish. Still a good bit of people there but many had come off the water to eat their breakfast. People were sitting at their make shift camps, fire going, breakfast cooking, at some the beers were flowing. It was perfect for us, we could hit the water with very few others near by. Sure we missed that early morning rush of 15 fish being caught at once from the same hole. Sure we missed some of the positive banter that goes with the crowds. We even missed standing in the cold (although not this year) at 6:00 AM just BSing with one another. We sure had a good time though. We didn't catch a ton of fish that day, we did have a have a great time though. So from now on we have a new approach to the first day.
quackmaster4 likes this.

...but those that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength. -Isaiah 40:31
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 08:36 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I know how you feel. I was up at 5 the first day and standing at the bank at 7, mainly for my BIL and his son since they dont get a lot of time for fishing. This past Sunday I decided to go fishing and drove to my usual spot, only to see 10-15 trucks already parked. I didnt even bother to get out of my truck, I drove back home. I like the peacefulness of fishing and could do without the crowds.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 06:56 PM
The Man

Well done. It's all about enjoying yourself and relaxing. Although it sounds like you had a great day, maybe consider finding someplace that gets less fish (and less people) and hitting there just like you used to. At 8am on opening morning, there were only 5 other people within my sight on the creek, with only one of them closer than 50yds.

We always get there early like you, but rarely see anybody else till 7:30 or so. One of these years I'm gonna carry in the Coleman stove and cook breakfast while we wait.

If you're having trouble hunting for deer,
don't wish things were easier;
wish you were smarter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 07:27 PM

one year back in the mid to late 1980's my dad and I went to Muddy Run park to fish the first day it was that crowded that the guys were almost shoulder to shoulder ,we found a not to crowded spot and fished . dad said never again ,never went back, found several other spots after that were less crowded and better fishing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page