Mono vs braided - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Mono vs braided

Are stocked trout really smart enough to see the line and avoid taking the bait? I’ve caught plenty of trout on braided but I’m wondering if anyone has experience where they seem to get less bites on braided. The one time my friend was standing right next to me using the same bait only difference was the line and he was getting tons of hits and I wasn’t getting anything. I may switch back to mono next year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 04:03 PM
The Man

Tie a mono or fluorocarbon leader to your braid.

I use braid often but always or most always with a leader.

There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goosehunter2118 View Post
Are stocked trout really smart enough to see the line and avoid taking the bait? Iíve caught plenty of trout on braided but Iím wondering if anyone has experience where they seem to get less bites on braided. The one time my friend was standing right next to me using the same bait only difference was the line and he was getting tons of hits and I wasnít getting anything. I may switch back to mono next year.
Trout in the streams I fish in definitely become line shy. I don't use anything heavier than 4 lb test stren. I never use snap swivels and even don't use pre-snelled hooks. I use small hooks tied directly to the line and size B shot if I use any weight at all. I've seen countless times guys with heavy line not catch while we hammer them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 07:54 PM
Part of the Community

If I'm fishing a wider body, say the Lehigh, I like gossamer braids because I can cast 1/12 and 1/7 oz spinners farther than with mono or fluorocarbon of a comparable break strength.

In those situations, I actually use yellow braid, but I keep a black sharpie handy to color the last few feet of line to the lure.

That's also a situation with generally tanic water, and I'm pick-pocketing the breaks in the turbulence, so that probably limits my line being seen as well.

This combo works well when I'm targeting summer smallies in the creeks and the Susky also.

For bait presentations, I keep to fluorocarbon.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 08:12 AM

Fished opening day at a friend's camp. There were some guys there who were definitely not seasoned fisherman but gave it a shot anyways. One guy had a bass rod with fairly heavy braid line that he borrowed off a relative. After I gave him a spinner and some instruction, we both pulled them out almost cast. A was shocked that the trout didn't seem spooked. Now this was in fairly fast water so the results may not be the same in a clear pool.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce280 View Post
Fished opening day at a friend's camp. There were some guys there who were definitely not seasoned fisherman but gave it a shot anyways. One guy had a bass rod with fairly heavy braid line that he borrowed off a relative. After I gave him a spinner and some instruction, we both pulled them out almost cast. A was shocked that the trout didn't seem spooked. Now this was in fairly fast water so the results may not be the same in a clear pool.
Its also opening day. It takes some time for them to become line shy.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 10:47 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I used to always tie everything directly to the line and always did OK ... but never better than that. After years of fishing in the UP for picky walleyes in a particularly clear lake, I've gone the complete opposite and always have a fluro leader tied onto my braid for just about everything I fish for ... trout, walleye, perch, I'll even do it when I'm trying to catch pike. It seems to me like I catch more now than in the past.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page