Good Luck and Opening Day Reports - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 05:58 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Good Luck and Opening Day Reports

Good luck to everyone who is going out to fish the opener today! I'm looking forward to hearing how the fishing went across the state.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 09:32 AM

I agree with NittanyBearcat . also have fun and be safe
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 10:41 AM
The Man

We were streamside at 6:30. Not another person in sight till 7 and then a few started to trickle into the section of stream we were on. Not very crowded at all; only had six other people in sight by starting time. Water level and color was absolutely perfect. We always keep some for the freezer and to give to a couple people. Had a limit of NICE fish by 8:40, and my son finished up about 10 minutes later. Been a long time since I saw so many bigger fish, but certainly not complaining. Great opening day, and plenty of time to take the wife out shopping this afternoon.
Dennis Hill and Wardman like this.

If you're having trouble hunting for deer,
don't wish things were easier;
wish you were smarter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 06:13 PM

Fished a stream in southwest Pa. Arrived at 6am to claim my spot at the tail out of a nice pool that had many fish in it when I scouted it out a few weeks ago. There were three goldens in it at that time. When it became light enough to see, the goldens were not there but I caught glimpses or enough other trout to know the hole still had some good numbers in it. A few tents were pitched on the opposite bank and they started stirring by 6:30.

My nephew and a buddy arrived at 7:45 and we got ready for the 8'oclock start. Folks were spread out nicely. A light crowd compared to other years.

I elected to start with a 1/64 ounce jig under a small float. At 8:05 I had already caught my 5 fish limit but all were returned. It was a great morning. I ended up with 28 rainbows and my nephew ended up with 13 bows and 1 brown. All were returned to fight another day. Almost all of mine were caught on jigs. Nothing really big which is unusual for this spot. There are usually a few breeders in there.

One thing I noticed is that almost all of the fish caught that I could see were released. Saw very few fish on stringers.
Wardman and collierdeerhunter like this.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 07:03 PM

I guess many people didn't venture out, lol. The opening day thread used to be pages long..........

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 09:29 PM
Frequent Contributor

Fished with my 13 yr old son Yesterday in northern Potter , mid week weather reports were to be a high of 65 but it never made it above 55. We landed over 20 between us and probably had a half that get off from 8-11:30 We saw one guy at opening time about 75 yards below us and then we started moving around 9 and ran into 2 teenagers as we were walking out . Fishing pressure was lite. Son caught one on Garlic power bait the rest were worms and butter worms
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 09:43 PM
Frequent Contributor

A friend of mine got a nice one in the Pocono's. I didn't make it out, due to my son's baseball game.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg EFRV8830.thumb.jpeg.2b88b317524fc4d64d8c410cbb705afe.jpeg (223.6 KB, 22 views)
RacksnQuacks likes this.

Last edited by 35 whelen; 04-15-2018 at 09:47 PM.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 09:51 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
A friend of mine got a nice one in the Pocono's. I didn't make it out, due to my son's baseball game.
He must have had a hard time fishing with that black thing covering his face. Nice fish !
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 07:47 AM
Frequent Contributor

I fished a smaller mountain stream in central pa. The fishing pressure was light compared to what it was 10 years ago. I caught 3, my buddy caught zero, one of the guys across the stream caught 2 and his buddy caught zero. We saw about 5 trout in the hole we were fishing but they didn't bite to well considering it was the first day and we offered them minnows, butterworms, mealworms, red worms, trout magnets of every color, several different types of spinner, and even a few small plugs.

We talked to several people who walked passed us and no one caught a fish. Several said they didn't see any in the stream. Considering we have seen very few people catching fish there the last couple of years I was wondering if that was one of the reasons for the light fishing pressure.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 09:19 AM
Frequent Contributor

My son and I fished all day Saturday in several different locations. I only managed to land 4 Rainbows and 1 nice Native Brown, My son didn't catch anything.... I was questioning why I wasn't seeing any fish in the local streams a week ago ( after the state stocking schedule said they had stocked ), well last night I may have got my answer: I was told that the state was not able to stock any Brookies around here at all. It seems that their brook trout in the hatcheries got hit with some kind of virus of the gills, and thus they had to kill off all of them to keep it from getting into the streams... Now I haven't found anything official about it yet, but it does make since being that out of all the fish I did see caught, ALL were Rainbows! Other than my Native that is.
I wonder though, we it just the hatchery they use for this area - or was it the whole state?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page