Fluorocarbon fishing line and trout magnets - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Thumbs up Fluorocarbon fishing line and trout magnets

I just got back from a weeks vacation in Virginia.. What an awesome time I had using Fluorocarbon 2 pound test line and trout magnets... I caught 15 Rainbows.. catch and released them.. a few big blue gills. released them too... I had all kind of fishing bait with me but all I used was the trout magnets and the Fluorocarbon line. Going to have to get out on the Pa streams and give them a try now.. I have caught many trout with them before but the right fishing line seems to make them work the best..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 12:37 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I use fluororcarbon line but haven't mastered using the trout magnets. I think they are effective because they resemble a mealworm and we all know trout love mealworms. I know a person has to twitch the rod a little to make them look lively but I haven't figured out the right technique yet.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Did you know there is a mini trout magnet now? Tie on a regular trout magnet 24 inches above the end of line. Tie on the mini Trout magnet at end. Use the bobber that comes with Trout Magnet above larger trout magnet. 2 lb Fluorocarbon line and magnets should both have same color body.

Last edited by uncle buck; 04-15-2018 at 11:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 08:32 AM
Part of the Community

A fluorocarbon leader can be the difference between catching and not catching in clear water.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 10:02 PM

Immediately throw away trout magnet hooks. They are the worst and super cheap. Buy some quality jig heads to use
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 07:55 AM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt1e View Post
Immediately throw away trout magnet hooks. They are the worst and super cheap. Buy some quality jig heads to use
You are absolutely right. The black hooks are very bad.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 11:29 AM

This is what this nice breeder did to this vmc jig head. I couldn't get my big hand around the back to belly and that's about a 8 inch side slab of that fish. I was disappointed in THAT jig..but it held. That bending was just from the fight in the stream. No lifting or anything like that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180414_181812_1523892270809.jpg (107.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 20180414_181023_1523892297605.jpg (1.84 MB, 3 views)
uncle buck likes this.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
The Man

I have had Trout Magnet hook just snap off at the shank when a fish was on the line.. I caught a trout the other day with two Trout Magnets on my line.. I got one of them in the palm of my hand. OOOOOOUCH. Lesson learned carry needle nose pliers with you.. at worst keep pliers in the car. I got it out but the shank of the trout magnet wouldn't break with the tool I had on my person... I had to pull it straight out and have the shank rip through the skin on my palm..Hydrogen Peroxide was used back at the house after I washed it with liquid hand soap right there along the lake. The shank sure would not separate when I was using a fishing clipper tool.. LOL.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Lets face it... you could use any jig head with the Trout Magnet bodies... I was using some chartreuse shad darts with them and the Trout Magnet body and I was catching trout... I get them on Amazon in a bulky package for about $12.00. Must be about 25 in a package too.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
The Man

If you use the Fluorocarbon line... Remember best to be at the water line when fishing with 2 pound test. Let say your fishing from a dock... use 4 pound test then for obvious reason what going to happen when you lift a 14 inch trout out of the water on to a elevated dock..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page