In need of a new fishing vest - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 06:42 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

In need of a new fishing vest

In need of a new fishing vest, what do you recommend? My old Garcia has about had it. What are you guys using?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 07:01 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Allen chest pack. Switched from a vest years ago and never looked back.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 07:43 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

You might be able to find that vest on E-bay - I use a specific Ausable(out of business) vest for my bass/striper/walleye fishing and I found a replacement on there - eventually. Seems it wasn't a popular model - lots of other Ausables but not "mine" (short "wading" vest with bigger pockets).

For my trout vest I don't need the shorter length or the bigger pockets so I'm not real particular on brand or style. At most I carry a small Plano 3214 box(little bigger than a cigg pack) with assorted spinners/lures. a pack or two of hooks/splitshot, maybe a jar of powerbait and a box of worms. I probably only use half the pockets LOL.

Good luck on your search

“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?” Douglas Adams
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 09:31 AM

I've tried all the fancy chest and waist packs. For trout fishing, I always seem to go back to a $15 Berkley vest from Wal-Mart. If it isn't very warm out, I usually just go with a cabelas wading jacket with a few small Plano boxes in the chest pockets.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 09:39 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

The problem I'm having in finding fishing vests is that so many of them are made of mesh material. The thinking I guess is that they are much cooler but the problem is that walking in a wooded or thorny area it's easy to get caught in thorns or small tree branches with the mesh material.

I am using one I bought at Gander Mountain but I guess they are closed now. Walmart has a Wind River brand that is not mesh. A search of Amazon might find you something since those vests that have been reviewed by many customers.

Last edited by Trout180; 04-12-2018 at 09:43 AM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

That's my problem too, the mesh material. Plus I'd really like to have storage in the back or I'd try one of those chest packs. I found a photographers vest on Amazon that looks appealing, so I may give it a try. It just doesn't have a d-ring on the back for a net, that's my hold up.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 09:17 AM

there is a place around Lancaster that handles fishing gear called Orvis phone #717-394-9674 . call them for directions or if not close maybe they can send you a catalog or something
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 03:10 PM
Part of the Community

I use a fanny pack. A lot easier and cooler than a vest. Its just not comfortable hiking/jogging a long way with a vest, which I often do. Sometimes I wear the fanny pack on my back, putting the strap across one shoulder.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 04:05 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Hill View Post
there is a place around Lancaster that handles fishing gear called Orvis phone #717-394-9674 . call them for directions or if not close maybe they can send you a catalog or something
The Orvis store is located along Rt. 30 East of Lancaster in the Rockvale Outlets Complex. I've never been in the store but they have vests that can be ordered online. You have to pay a higher price for the Orvis name so their cheapest vest is $79. Here's what that vest looks like:
Clearwater Fishing Vest / Clearwater Vest -- Orvis

Earlier I mistakenly said Walmart sells a Wind River brand but it's Crystal River for $29.95. It's Bass Pro that sells the Wind River brand for I believe 39.95. All depends how much fishing you do and how much you want to pay. I don't know if the quality is much different no matter which name you go with.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 10:52 AM

Fishpond makes some great vests.

Never Misses

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page