Opening Day Taditions - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Opening Day Taditions

With the statewide opener coming up next week, I was wondering what traditions and/or plans everyone has for opening day. Every year my family fishes a state park lake in central PA. My grandmother lives near the lake so we always go to visit with her and do some fishing. I'll be taking a boat out on the lake to troll spinners and spoons in the morning. We usually have pretty good success trolling in the boat and it's a great way to get away from the crowds. After lunch when the crowds die down some, I'm hoping to go to the stream that flows through the state park and pick up a few on my fly rod. The forecast looks pretty decent for Saturday other than a chance for afternoon rain. Whether the fish are biting or not, I always look forward to the opener and a good day spent with family. What are your plans for Opening Day?
stinkbait likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 07:04 PM
The Man

We've been spending opening day at the same spot for 10 years or so, so I guess that counts as a tradition. Pretty much the same crowd. Seen a couple kids "grow up" a little every year. I still can't tell you anybody else's name, but the faces are always there. Good crowd for the most part.
stinkbait likes this.

If you're having trouble hunting for deer,
don't wish things were easier;
wish you were smarter.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 09:45 AM
Part of the Community

A group of us always meet up early morning at a local diner to have breakfast, then head over to our opening day spot to fish and laugh about last years opener. We've been doing this for almost 20 years now.
stinkbait likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 09:52 AM
Banned

Our opener was last weekend. But my "tradition" is fishing with my two boys. I started them fishing when they are very young, around three years old each. One is now in college, the other is a junior in high school. Each year we all still enjoy heading to the stream together on the opening morning. Someday I hope to see some grand kids doing the same.
stinkbait likes this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 10:27 AM

I really don't have any traditions other than to have fun and to enjoy the day . catching fish is an added bonus
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 10:35 AM
The Man

Leaky boots.
Dennis Hill likes this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 12:06 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

For as long as I can remember I've always started off the season fishing at a specific hole on a stream. Last two years I've had some unpleasant encounters with other "sportsman" so I think I'll skip that stream this year until the second day...
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 12:24 PM

Used to be part of a great tradition but it is like pulling teeth to get folks to go hunting and fishing these days. Our crew of 8 on opening day of trout has dwindled down to myself and sometimes one other.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 03:40 PM
The Man

My tradition for the past few years has been to not go on opening day. I've got a feeling that will change next year. My son will be 6 and my work schedule rolls so I won't be on midnights that weekend. So I'm betting that I'll be back to being and opening weekend participant for quite a while starting in 2019.
Laylow likes this.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 03:53 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Us old timers, about 5 of us, head to camp on Thursday and get things set up. Friday the rest of the gang will start to show up. By 10 o'clock everyone is usually there. Usually have about 15 or 18 guys in camp. They'll be tying flies at the table at midnight. We catch fish but I think our tradition is we always throw them back.

But man do we eat good.
stinkbait and Dennis Hill like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page