Bring back the CP Swing!!! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Bring back the CP Swing!!!

You young guys won't know what I'm talking about but the older crowd will. Back in the day that's the only spinner we used on trout, and they killed them. Why did the CP Swing die out is what I'd like to know. Probably the best trout spinner ever made. Wish somebody would bring them back on the market. Even though I'm not much of a spinner bait guy if they brought them back I'd buy some and use them.
cubcadet and BBB like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 11:11 AM

BB, i have a couple cp swings that i bought a few years ago. like you said they work well on trout. i see them once in a while in some stores.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator

Yep I remember them

My name is Moss and i'm a turkey huntin' addict

I'm itchin' to see a red fox twitchin!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 11:27 AM

I used to use them too, then my Dad started making replicas of them and they are much better. CP Swings (and Panther Martins) use flimsy wire and bend too easily. My Dad’s lures were much less expensive and much more durable.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 11:44 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

The CP Swings were the best trout spinner ever invented IMO. There's still a few sold but you must look hard to find a tackle shop that has them. I believe the originals are imported from France which might explain their scarcity. I make my own by getting all the things need from lure parts suppliers. It's a lot cheaper than paying $5 a piece when you are lucky to find them.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 12:02 PM
Frequent Contributor

I have a few cp swings from the mid 70's. I got them out last year to do some bass fishing on the Juniata River, had to polish the beads and the blades, they were tarnished just sitting in my tackle box for more than 35 years. They worked great on small mouth bass as i remembered years back fishing for trout & caught bass on that ole reliable (CP Swing) as well.

Last year when i caught my 1st fish (smallmouth) i was tickled to death. I caught another an another, it was just about cast after cast i was reeling in a bass. I looked up into the heavens with a grin from ear to ear, said to Dad how about that, your favorite spinner. Sorry it took this long to get the spinner wet. It sure brought back some memories.
bigguy54 and Blue Bird like this.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 12:25 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Fish USA still sells them and it's a PA shop ! https://www.fishusa.com/product/CP-Swing-Spinning-Lures

“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?” Douglas Adams
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 12:34 PM

I have/had several over the years. I always thought they were too light. (Weight)
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wainzoid View Post
I have/had several over the years. I always thought they were too light. (Weight)
What size are they? If you have size #1 or #2, I would agree. #1 are 1/12 oz. and #2 are 1/10 oz. I never use anything that is less than 1/8 oz. #3 are 1/8 oz. #4 are 1/6 oz. and # 5 are 1/4 oz.

My Dad's CP imitations were between 1/8 oz. and 3/8 oz. I like heavier spinners.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 03:35 PM

I chased the link at FishUSA. Not sure why they call them "inline" spinners. Panther Martin spinners are the only inline spinners that I know of because they have no clevis. If CP Swings are inline spinners, then are all spinners inline spinners? And if all spinners are inline spinners, then why use the term "inline"?

They're a bit pricey, too. And much too light for the size of the blade.
Brent Barclay likes this.

I can be contacted at FrankTroutAngl[email protected].

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page