Mentored Youth Day Fun - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentored Youth Day Fun

While I've been a pretty staunch detractor of the annual youth day. I've also have been taking advantage of it for the past 4 years with my daughter haha. Does this make a huge hypocrite.....yes......do I care......not in the least :-) And so that brought us to the Mentored youth day 2018. I am a maniacal planner for my outdoor pursuits so even though I didn't know for sure if we were going to even go I spent most of last week hiking local trout streams with my polarized glasses and a loaf of wonder-bread in search of pods of unsuspecting fish. While the fish were not stacked up in any location I did turn up 2 particular groups of fish that I figured would work. My daughter, Caidence, now 14, is an even bigger planner than I am. She had been working out every detail since the Wed before, all the way down to where we were going to do lunch afterwards haha.

Saturday AM came and nobody was in a huge hurry to get to the stream. It was clear, cold, and 26 when we stepped out the door at 7:28am. I was a bit nervous that all the spots would be taken and not wanting to crowd other fisherman I would have left and moved on. I definitely had a little anxiety when I rounded the corner of the road and was relived to see the pull off vacant and quiet. My daughter and her friend Clare...the dynamic duo....got a big dose of energy when I stopped the engine and they were basically tripping over themselves to get to the waters edge all the while I was tripping over everything in sight trying to rig up their rods. Since it was 8:05am there was no waiting and the second I put the glob of power-bait on the hook they were lettin' it fly.

20190110210938_IMG_6533

They both had heavy hits over the first 5 minutes but no matter how often I tell them, year after year, they just don't set the hook like they have to and after that 5 minutes most of the trout in the rather shallow pool were on the alert somewhat and where not hitting the PB at all after that. Ole Dad had to think real hard about this because when the girls start using spinners they absolutely trash my stash with snags on every couple casts but it was time already so I took my daughters line and tied on a Frank Nale original collection piece! He can be proud that the first trout of the day came via his handmade creation.

20190110200909_IMG_6485

20190110224315_IMG_6543

After that it was Clare's turn to get into the spinner action and despite the cold water the action was very good and both girls started to hammer trout....as well as my spinner box. They were losing them left and right but I kept grabbing from my 'scratch and dent' pile for them. It was fine though. Happy girls = happy dad!

20190110211553_IMG_6539 by Zak Appleby, on Flickr

After a while they wanted to hike the stream and start searching for some smaller pods of more challenging fish. That was fine by my as I was quietly bored out of my mind and wanted to see some new sights.

20190110211051_IMG_6536

even though the fish were few and far between stocking points they did find a couple and probably got more satisfaction from them then the easy pickins' of the first pool.

20190110203758_IMG_6526

Things slowed down around 11am when the sun got very high in the sky and the girls were started to wear down too. That meant only one thing........LUNCH TIME!!! So off we went for a big hardy meal to wrap up the day!

IMG_20180324_143743

Just another nice daddy daughter day on a PA trout stream.

20190110231903_IMG_6558
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 01:00 PM
Part of the Community

Come on now trout, you forgot about the 20 guys fishing with the 2 year old. Looks like a good morning to me. Congratulations.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 01:26 PM

Nice story and great pic`s , looks like the dynamic duo had a good time...Thanks for sharing.....and dad too...

If you don`t stand behind our Troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 01:44 PM
Frequent Contributor

Looks like a great day! It's nice that you can still get your teenage daughter out on the water. My oldest son (10) thinks that fishing is way too slow paced for his liking and has opted out for the past 2 years. At least I still have hope in my younger boys.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Ya I didn't see any shananagins really. Saw one older guy fishing about 100 yards downstream of his apparent grandson which irked me at first but he kept turning every 15 seconds to check on the kid and before long the kid came stumbling down the stream bank so I'm sure he was just moving the youngster along and they started fishing together after that and we have a nice pleasant exchange. Nice guy. Saw a few adults fishing side by side pretty much 1 v 1 with kids at more popular spots. Turnout was generally was pretty low around my busy area of SEPA. It was MUCH colder than past years though.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Ya my 16 yo is the same. Wants nothing to do with fishing or hunting. You're sun is pretty normal in this day and age. My kid just wants to play Fort-Night all day long. Ironically my daughter doesn't play video games at all. I strongly believe there is a direct correlation between the two and I always urge younger parents to keep the video games out of the house at all costs.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 01:58 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout 2003 View Post
My kid just wants to play Fort-Night all day long. Ironically my daughter doesn't play video games at all. I strongly believe there is a direct correlation between the two and I always urge younger parents to keep the video games out of the house at all costs.
I couldn't agree more. My older one is definitely more into video games and would rather play Madden Football on his iPad than go outside and do something productive. My twins are the opposite - they would be outside from the moment they wake up until we force them to go to bed at night. If the older one didn't need the iPad for school, that thing would have been taken away two years ago.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 02:45 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Looks like a fun day.. Congratulations to you and your daughter on a successful day
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 07:57 PM

Hi Trout 2003,

That's a very nice Father/Daughter/Friend story and it's illustrated very nicely with beautiful photographs! That's what the Mentored Youth day is all about -- sharing some family-time together and creating memories while catching a bunch of trout. If the PFBC had a contest where people wrote stories about their experiences on the MY day this story would probably top the list.

Good to hear they caught some trout on spinners. One thing about spinners is that they are fun to cast and retrieve even if there isn't much action from the trout. It's a very active way to fish -- perhaps the most active method. There's something to be said for that in today's world where kids get bored quickly. It's also a nice "lesson" for people on this site who are not super familiar with spinners that spinners are great on stocked trout when the water is cold -- and I suspect it was quite chilly. I've seen times where a bunch of anglers at a pool full of trout were not catching much on bait, and then someone starts tossing a spinner and catches one on practically every cast.

It's too bad your son isn't interested in fishing. You never know though, someday he may decide to give it a whirl again. It's nice that your daughter is interested.

I can be contacted at [email protected].
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 08:44 PM

looks like a fun day and a lot of success for your daughter and good weather for both of you

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page