Eastern Mentored youth reports? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 82Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 134 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Eastern Mentored youth reports?

Surprised to not see any reports from the streams today in the southeast. Weather was nice in the western end of the state. Anybody out there do any good?

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 134 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 08:50 PM
Part of the Community

3 generations of us went out this afternoon. Had the whole lake to ourselves. We caught a couple and the kids had a blast.
post #3 of 134 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 09:14 PM

Went and checked a spot, more adults fishing than kids. Place was packed. Adults packed together like opening day targeting the big fish then putting on kids stringers. Most of the nicer fish were on stringers, couple hundred fish kept today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 134 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 09:21 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

My kids went Skiing for the day so i took a drive around the local streams and did not see 1 person at any of them.

4B
post #5 of 134 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 10:28 PM
Frequent Contributor

My two boys fished the entire day from 8 am start to 7:15 at night. Little pressure on the streams and they had action all day long. Twice they left spots where they were catching fish almost every cast. All safely released but we had to cut a lot of lines to release them. Great day. I will say that I say very few adults fishing. Most adults had rods but we're not fishing.

There's hunting and there's hunting with a good dog
post #6 of 134 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 07:08 PM
Regular Visitor

Took my 12 year old son out and he fished from 8 to 3 and he caught a pile of fish.......truly all he wanted all day long. I never made a cast and just enjoyed the day with hm. Fished 3 different spots and he did equally well at all. Water is pretty low and clear. Very cold start to the day with ice in the guides but turned into a really nice day. Hardly anybody around......we only saw 4 other people all day long and they pretty much all had really young kids. Only saw one adult fishing and only saw one fish kept. All in all exactly how Mentor Day should look and feel where we were.
post #7 of 134 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charman03 View Post
Went and checked a spot, more adults fishing than kids. Place was packed. Adults packed together like opening day targeting the big fish then putting on kids stringers. Most of the nicer fish were on stringers, couple hundred fish kept today.

I don't believe a single word of this without pics lol.
Dennis Hill likes this.
post #8 of 134 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 01:19 PM
Regular Visitor

Probably the most fun I've had on an opener, ever. My son and his friend had a blast on the Little Schuylkill. They had a great hole all to themselves for almost 3 hours when we decided to take a break. Brooks were mostly decent size, with a few rainbows left from a winter stocking. Went home for lunch and a power nap and took him out again for a few hours.

Highlights of the day were a beautiful 10 inch wild brook and a slammer bow he caught right before he quit.

The PAFBC got this one right for the kids, the future of the sport.
Trout Traveler likes this.
post #9 of 134 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 09:59 PM
Regular Visitor

My son had a tough go of it in the morning on a small local creek. It was too cold for kids, the water was low and there was a large turnout, making everyone huddle around the very few pools holding fish, so we didn't stay long. After soccer practice, we went to a larger stream I used to fish when I was in college and had a blast together. The fishing pressure was light, much nicer weather in the afternoon and the fish were aggressive (other than the 7 golden trout that apparently were fasting for the day). Ended up getting carried away and stayed to close. All catch and release.
post #10 of 134 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 11:02 PM
Frequent Contributor

My son also had a tough day in southern York county it was cold and the stream was gin clear , once we found the right holes we saw plenty of fish but couldn't buy a bit from any of them, we saw maybe a dozen kids and adults strung out along the stream . Only one adult had a rod and I didn't see him fishing in the 2hrs we were there ,didn't see any fish caught but looked like all the kids were enjoying themselves. On a side note most of the holes that had fish also had corn on top of the snow so I think either people were chumming the day or so before just to see the fish or some knuckle heads chummed so the fish weren't hungry for the kids but I'm hoping it was just locals wanting to see the fish. All in all every body was on there best behavior . This coming Sat. down here all beats are off what you will see.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page