Things you notice at the trout stream every year.... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 157Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 237 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Things you notice at the trout stream every year....

I call this one, the bobber in the fast water guy;

Ever see these people at the stream? Dead giveaway they don't know a thing about trout fishing.....Fast moving water, and here comes this guy with a bobber(we call them floats in these parts) the size of a soft ball on his line six inches from his hook. Tosses his line in and within seconds its up against the shore, and he's casting again. Within a few casts he's snagged up on something. Then he's gone.

Hardware on every low hanging limb;

I could equip a tackle box with some of the junk I see dangling from low hanging limbs. From bobbers(see above), to spinners, to half a spool of line. My dad used to call it eagle fishing. When somebody would cast and get tangled up in the trees.

The two cast wanderers;

Each and every year I see guys who will waltz into the hole, make two casts, then they're downstream in the next hole, two more casts, then they're gone. Impatient I guess, or they like to walk more than fish.

The your side of the creek guy;

There isn't a year that goes by that I don't have this happen. I catch a fish, then maybe another, then within seconds there are lines from across the creek being tossed two feet in front of me.....What they fail to realize is, I'm casting and catching the fish on their side of the creek;

The right next to you guy;

Kinda ties in with the your side of the creek guy. The creek is wide open for miles, yet numbnuts walks in and stands literally two feet away from you.....

The "what are you using" guy;

I catch a fish, then another, and then right next to me guy says " hey what are you using", when he can clearly see that I'm putting corn on my hook. I always tell him "peas".

Please feel free to add......

BTW - I was gonna mention the kid "borrowing" a hook but I got hammered on that one last year, so we won't go there again..
bigguy54 likes this.

Last edited by Blue Bird; 03-22-2018 at 08:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 237 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 08:34 PM
Part of the Community

The walk down the middle of the creek guy . Or the 2 fishing rod guy who casts one with bait in the hole then sets it down and then picks up the other rod and starts to cast a lure , pretty much taking over the hole.
SRA-5C+ and chilli like this.
post #3 of 237 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 08:35 PM

back in the late 80's when I ran with the local fire company ,we were down above Safe Harbor dam on a brush fire , our tanker was stationed near the intake deck ,the driver told us later about all the bobbers and lures laying along the shore no one around
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 237 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 08:44 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

its been that way since the early 70's when I was a kid. for me, its cheap entertainment . let them do their thing and move on or I move on.
post #5 of 237 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 09:48 PM

Location: Live in Venango County. Hunting Camp in Warren County
To much company for me. Ill be out on the 16th.

Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

"When a pine needle falls in the forest, the eagle sees it, the deer hears it, and the bear smells it."
an old First Nations saying
post #6 of 237 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 09:53 PM
The Man

I don't fish on opening day anymore so the things that I notice along trout streams each year are:

beaver sign - slides, chew sticks and such, turkeys gobbling, grouse drumming, deer tracks along the stream, the waterfowl, ospreys and eagles that I see flying around, spring peepers when it's far enough into the year, an occasional black bear, the serenity of sitting along a stream and listening to the water flowing, woodpeckers, the way the streams have changed since last year, the feeling of how glad I am that another trout season has rolled around, and finally - how much I enjoy being out there enjoying some fishing with my dad and my dog.
post #7 of 237 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 09:58 PM
Sage

Inevitably, "bobber in the fast water " guy will defy the odds and catch a fish. Next thing you know, there are a dozen guys just like him all around you.

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.
post #8 of 237 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 10:01 PM

I hate crowds so I don’t fish on Opening Day.
Muzz and bohunr like this.
post #9 of 237 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 10:42 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Most of the common ones have already been mentioned but usually once a year I'll see a guy trying some really big plastic/rubber imitation of something that looks more suitable for Largemouth Bass, but is not suitable for trout. He might even have a tackle box full of such lures.
Danesdad likes this.
post #10 of 237 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 07:26 AM

The drunkard..... Now I love to have me some beers, but not at 8 in the morning! Usually run into someone who shows up at 8:05 am on the opener drunk out of his mind, loud mouthed and carrying on. Often gets angry when youre catching fish and he isnt. Always has some kind of cooler with him with some more "pops". Occasionally you get to watch such a guy lose it and fall in the water. That makes it all worth it!
bigguy54 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page