Do you keep your trout? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Do you keep your trout?

A post on another thread made me think of this question. I used to keep all my trout. Not being a fish eater myself (I fish strictly for the sport), I used to bring them home for my wife, but now she refuses to eat them. So, I came to the conclusion that it isn'right for me to keep any fish anymore. So,whatever I catch gets returned to the water, unless of course it was gill hooked and bleeds out. Then it goes home to become garden fertilizer.

Do you toss fish back, or keep them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 05:01 PM

I get my trout fishing fix about once or twice a year and keep a couple stockies to grill them to remind myself that they aren't really very good. What's weird is that they individually vary so much, some are decent and some taste like mush with a nice hint Purina aftertaste. And yes I know how to care for fish and cook them.

I've never had wild trout and it's on my to-do list just aren't many places I feel right about doing it in PA. I feel like it has to be a little better.
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 05:04 PM
Part of the Community

If you want wild tasting trout, keep some fingerling stocked trout that have grown up. No qualms with keeping them, as they don't reproduce anyways. I have done this in the past.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 05:06 PM

We'll the cost of a trout stamp is $9.90 so your money's worth is about 3 average sized trout lol. I will occasionally keep a stocky when fishing with my daughter because they don't usually survive the photo session. On the other hand if I get a chance to remove a golden rainbow from a top notch wild brown stream I'll keep it every time.

"live and learn, and then catch fish"
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 05:07 PM
Banned

No, I have not kept stocked trout since I was a kid. I used to keep naive trout because they were good eats. I have not killed a trout in decades.
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 05:08 PM

You could always buy trout from a dirt pond trout farmer if you don't like the taste of a straight pellet head.

"live and learn, and then catch fish"
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 05:21 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

No. If it's a nice sized trout I get a quick pic and put them back. They aren't really all that great tasting and I enjoy coming back and fishing for them
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 05:22 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

There are some waters that are stocked that will begin to dry up by early June or the water temp gets too high and oxygen levels too low? Also the fish are easy pickings for coons and egrets. I would have no qualms keeping fish from these waters that are going to die anyway?
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 05:36 PM
Banned

Used to keep em a long time ago. Now Id rather see a young kid catch em and look at the grin on their faces its always a Kodak moment.
bigguy54 likes this.
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 05:50 PM
Frequent Contributor

I keep them and package them about 6 or 8 to a freezer bag, depending how big they are. Then our family has them once a week or so, more in early stocking season. Good for you and a great source of lean protein. Taste is a secondary consideration.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page