Before Berkley Power Bait We Used Dupont Plugs - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Before Berkley Power Bait We Used Dupont Plugs

I was thinking back when we were kids.. In the 50's and 60's. There was no Power Bait to be had... We used Red Worms, Crawlers, Salted Minnows, Minnies, Salmon Eggs, Perch Bugs, and lures.

I relocated after I got out of the Coast Guard.. Didn't move back to NEPA Wilkes Barre.. Because of the job offer I ended up down in Cumberland County... My neighbor showed me how to use Velvetta Cheese for trout... Cut them into small cubes from a block of V. place then on wax paper.. use a small treble hook.. woo did I ever catch the trout in the Limestone streams of SCPA...

I returned to Wilkes Barre and fished Bowmans Creek with my new found bait... Kraft Velvetta Cheese.. I got my limit in like 45 min... This was 8 trout back then too...Every cast! Bang! Bang! Bang! Bang! etc. The cheese did fall off the hook easy.. but I think the loss of bait in the pools cause a natural chum to occur and I didn't even know it.

Now you can get Berkley Power Bait in some good flavors... Cheese is one of them...

Always heard about using Dupont Plugs for fishing. As you know it's a joke in the 1950 and 1960. But I'm sure in the mining day some fisher persons probably did use Dynamite..AKA Dupont Plugs...

Last edited by uncle buck; 03-15-2018 at 09:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 09:29 AM

Being from Kingston, I always heard the "old timers" tell me to use dupont plugs when I would be complaining about the terrible fishing conditions at the bait shop in Luzerne. I have many fond memories fishing Bowmans, but not with velveeta, but with wax worms. Velveeta was too messy for me and major hassle. Fun memories.

Previously JJ5C
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 09:45 AM
Regular Visitor

velveeta good for fishing and grilled cheese sandwichs multi purpose!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 10:28 AM
Banned

If you want Velveeta to stay on your hook, make small balls of cheese with cotton mixed well into it. Make a batch of balls and put them in the fridge inside one of those short wide mouth thermoses with the lid off. When you go fishing put the lid on the thermos. When you remove a cheese ball put the lid back on. This will keep the cheese a little firm and easier to handle. I would use small gold trebbe hooks, they held the cheese ball much better than a single hook.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 11:57 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

If any of you are old enough to remember Government Cheese.....I guess that means I am old LOL but that stuff held on much better than velveeta and it was gold when it came to catfishing.

In an odd twist, when my buddy and I would fish opening day of trout when we were younger, night crawlers were all we ever used or needed and we slammed trout. Fast forward to today when we take our kids, night crawlers don't seem to work much any more, it boggles our minds. Berkley Pink Trout Worms have replaced night crawlers for us and they do work exceptionally well.
uncle buck likes this.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
The Man

I have taken moldy sharp cheese. Put it in a old sauce pan. Melt it. Put in flavors like cherry or anise. Get cat tail that is now fiber. Mix it into the cheese. Make balls out of it. I caught some big Channel Cats on it. Never tried it for trout.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 08:41 PM
Banned

Corn is and has always been my powerbait.......I laugh when I see people using powerbait today and them probably thinking its the end all for trout. Then I'll sit there and catch just as many fish as they are if not more, using plain old Green Giant corn.

Note to corn users, check the label. When I was a kid, my friend came down to the "crik" and we heard him say " oh Sh_T".....He pulled out the can of corn he liberated from his mom's pantry, only to find out it was cream style.....A little hard to put that bait on the hook. At least he didn't go hungry that day. We gave him some of our corn, and he ate his.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 09:02 PM

my mom when she was a kid would use dough balls to fish with and would catch fish with it
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018, 01:39 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Velveta, mini marshmellows, hot dog chunks, doughballs, corn and just about any natural bait has found it's way on to my hook a time or two.

A few years after Power Bait was introduced I took my nephew to a pay to play spot with the understanding that he got 4 fish and we were done. Figured we'd be done in ten minutes.... WRONG. Tried worms, waxies, mealworms - I even tried a few casts with spinners + small Rapalas - Those fish would not hit anything until I dug out the pink Power Bait... 4 casts 4 fish .... LOL

“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?” Douglas Adams
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018, 01:43 PM
The Man

The thing I hate about powerbait is that the fish seem to engulf and swallow it immediately. Since I throw back 95% of what I catch, I don't like to deep hook them so I don't use it much. About the only time I use PB is when I take my son fishing and he wants to keep a few. That being said, PB on a #12 treble hook is about as deadly as it gets on trout.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page