Are these the same legislators preventing the PGC from a license increase? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Are these the same legislators preventing the PGC from a license increase?

No Fishing license increase til they force Arway out.

FISH AND BOAT COMMISSION

Trout dispute roils agency

JUSTINE MCDANIEL

THE PHILADELPHIA INQUIRER

Of all the sources of discord in Harrisburg, trout usually isn’t one of them.

But a proposal to increase fishing-license fees has turned into a dispute that has lawmakers hoping to oust the head of the Fish and Boat Commission.

Without the longsought fee increase, Commission Director John Arway said last fall, some state hatcheries would have to close — meaning 240,000 fewer fish in state-stocked streams and lakes next year.

But some lawmakers perceived the costcutting announcement as a threat to leave their hometown waters empty of stocked trout.

Now, lawmakers want Arway out and say they won’t pass the bill allowing the commission to raise prices until he’s gone.

“Even if the cure for cancer was within that licensing bill, I don’t think there would be the motivation for the members of the committee or the House to pass it,” said House Game and Fisheries Chair Keith Gillespie, R-York.

He and his counterpart in the Senate both said they will pass the fishing bill only if they can pass a bill to oust Arway first. Thus, what seemed to be a quest for a simple fee increase — $6 the first year and 3 percent annually over the next four years — has fallen prey to Harrisburg dysfunction.

“We’re going to have to wait for a different political climate,” said Senate Game and Fisheries Chair Patrick Stefano,

R-Fayette County. “(Arway) is, right now, the major impediment of anything moving in our committees.”

The Fish and Boat Commission, like most state fishing agencies, relies almost exclusively on fishing-license fees and federal tax money to operate and receives no money from the general fund. It stocks trout, cares for public waters and keeps up hatcheries, dams and other infrastructure.

Fishing and boating bring in $1.2 billion to the Pennsylvania economy each year, Arway said. More than a million Pennsylvanians fish.

The $21 cost of an annual resident fishing license hasn’t gone up since 2005. Meanwhile, the commission has made cuts including the loss of 66 jobs. Arway has sought the power for the commission to set its own fees.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 03:04 PM
The Man

General fishing (all types) ....the one that has to be bought before the add-on's.... license sales in 2015 was 826,325. That sales dropped by almost 4000 in 2016.

Last year (2017) general fishing license sales dropped by a whopping 38,000 to 784,716.

Price/death spiral.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 03:57 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Maple View Post
General fishing (all types) ....the one that has to be bought before the add-on's.... license sales in 2015 was 826,325. That sales dropped by almost 4000 in 2016.

Last year (2017) general fishing license sales dropped by a whopping 38,000 to 784,716.

Price/death spiral.
You can't explain the drops in sales in 2015 and 2016 on price increases, because the price did not increase.

The price of the license is the same now as it was in 2005.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 04:27 PM

Since when can toddlers be elected into office?
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 04:31 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbert View Post
You can't explain the drops in sales in 2015 and 2016 on price increases, because the price did not increase.

The price of the license is the same now as it was in 2005.

Correct. They have a problem that will only compound when a price increase is levied.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 05:08 PM
The Man

I thought the exec director of the PFBC actually lowered the license cost by $1 when he took office....didn't he? So much for lower prices driving license sales. Same old same old. Some people just plain want something to complain about and will grab at anything they can to do so.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 05:44 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

The whole effort to oust Arway started when he threatened to cut trout stocking in districts where the legislator was opposed to the license increases while maintaining trout stocking at current levels in districts where the legislator was in favor of license increases. He had the list of waters on the chopping block online briefly then took it down. I can sympathize with the innocent fishermen who lived in those districts on the chopping block and would get caught in the crossfire.

Some of the financial problems are obviously due to decreased license sales but some are the PFBC's own doing. Lowering license prices by $1 was a bad idea. Multi-year licenses are a great deal for fishermen but I think a bad deal for the PFBC. Sure, some fishermen may die before their license expires while the PFBC pockets the full price but I think it hurts their finances if they need an immediate increase and a lot of guys have 10-year licenses. One politician I think said the PFBC still has $60M in reserve and thinks they don't need the increase right now. I don't know who to believe. I don't trust either side.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 08:17 AM

This is all screwed up. Whatever everyones issue is that fact of the matter is that a fishing License needs to cost MORE. There are no if's, and's, or But's about it. Pass the dang license increase and worry about all the petty fighting later. When it comes time to vote again I will seriously take into consideration where my legislator stands on this topic and how I vote. Its not a very important topic but their behavior is appaulling to me.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 08:40 AM

I'm all for raising the license fee but I'm also all for cutting the stocking program. Put that money into actual waterways and species conservation and improvement. I can understand near a city having a put and take program to keep an area fishable but there are also numerous clubs and private hatcheries in this state that can handle situations like that. The other huge issue I have is when you have a stream thriving with wild browns and Brooks why in the heck would you stock it full of rainbows every year!! I'm not saying the stocked browns and Brooks are ever going to spawn but its a way better chance that a rainbow.

"live and learn, and then catch fish"
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 08:49 AM

Location: Live in Venango County. Hunting Camp in Warren County
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratherbhuntin View Post
I'm all for raising the license fee but I'm also all for cutting the stocking program. Put that money into actual waterways and species conservation and improvement.
Sound thinking. Seems like a better long range plan than putting and taking.

Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

"When a pine needle falls in the forest, the eagle sees it, the deer hears it, and the bear smells it."
an old First Nations saying

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page