"stock the yough" - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

"stock the yough"

anyone know if any of the clubs put fish in yet between whittset and sutersville I know west newton cancelled their first stocking this week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 12:50 PM
Part of the Community

Smithon cancelled as well. Check their websites
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 11:26 AM

Smithton put fish in Saturday, March 17th. 512 fish. Something is not right with that club any more. Let me preface by stating, I've been donating to that club to stock fish, for nearly 40 years. They (club members) have ALWAYS performed a bang-up job with the stockings. Recently however, the stockings have been cut wayyyyyy down. Now, I can understand that perhaps with a changing of committee members, there may not be the same "push" to raise money as there was in the past ? I also can understand, as times change, so does the interest in fishermen that may have donated in the pas.... in other words, not as much interest in fishing. BUT, something seems awry lately, namely the past few years. Stockings have dwindled to just a few per year. Last year, they cancelled the final 3 or so stockings, because of purported poor river conditions. And they stated on the website message board, that the money from those cancelled stockings, would be used this year for additional stockings. WELLLLLLL, lo and behold, 2018 rolls around, and they list only FOUR (4) stockings for this year. What happened to the cash from the 3 cancelled stockings of last year, PLUS the additional monies from selling buttons, and taking donations this year ?

Something smells fishy, and it ain't the smell of Trout. The stocking committee members, per the website, seem to be the same as in recent past years. NOW, here is the shady part. The committee members, within the past few days, have TAKEN DOWN THEIR WEBSITE MESSAGE BOARD. This was done because they knew they would be questioned on funds, no doubt at all, and they didn't want to deal with the backlash that they were about to receive as to where the funds have been going. Something is not right in that club, ad they need a shake-up.

What I can tell you, I will no longer be donating to their efforts, UNTIL they become transparent, and account for the funds they are receiving by donation, in order to stock the fish. There should be wayyyyyyyyyy more than 4 stockings, at 512 fish per. Especially given the fact that they cancelled so many stockings last year, and said the money would carry forward to this year.

2A-Wash. Co.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 10:55 AM

That's what I would do. Take a minute to write an email to them and politely express your concerns and let them know that because you don't trust them with your $$ you wont be donating anymore. Small groups like that need to hear from their individual donors so they can have a chance to understand the issue and, assuming nothing shady is actually happening, have a chance to respond to the group as a whole. If they don't respond to then they don't get money.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 06:14 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

the fish commission and game commission has been doing it for years charging more and giving less , licesnse stamps and permits all increase your numbers size and limits all decrease its trickling down to the sportsmens clubs now. its greed bottom line.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 08:03 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornfed23 View Post
the fish commission and game commission has been doing it for years charging more and giving less , licesnse stamps and permits all increase your numbers size and limits all decrease its trickling down to the sportsmens clubs now. its greed bottom line.
Out of curiosity, what hunting game limits have decreased recently? Outside of antlerless tag allocations moving around, grouse season getting shortened, fall turkey seasons shifting some, and the proposed upcoming drop in the mallard duck limit from 4 birds to 2 birds, I am coming up blank on any limits decreasing due to "PGC greed". Please enlighten us.

Rabbits still 4 per day....pheasants still 2...squirrels still 6...whitetail buck still 1 per season...fall turkey still 1 per season....spring turkey you can buy a bonus tag in addition to the standard issue 1 per season....DMAP tags available on top of WMU antlerless allocations.....

I must be missing something??
bigguy54 likes this.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornfed23 View Post
Every year the PGC publishes its financial statements in Game News magazine. The financial statements are probably on their website, too. You should take some time to read and understand them. I sure don't see any greed there. Seems to me they are just staying afloat. They haven't had a general license increase since 1999. How would you like to manage your household today on the wages you earned in 1999?

Ditto the PFBC. They haven't had a license increase since 2004.

Both of these organizations do a wonderful service to the sportsmen and general public of Pennsylvania and beyond, and they don't even receive any general fund tax dollars. We sportsmen and women should all be supporting them and not wrongfully criticizing them.

In addition, how exactly could you ever accuse the PGC or PFBC of greed? You do realize that if they actually did somehow get some extra money that they would just spend it on us, right? How exactly could there be any greed? It's not like extra money gets paid out to stockholders or given out in bonuses.

I can be contacted at [email protected].

Last edited by FrankTroutAngler; 03-26-2018 at 10:07 AM.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 02:49 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Private organization stocks in Connellsville. Stocked on the 24th of March and have the next 7 Saturdays booked... 800 fish from each bridge
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C R O W View Post
Private organization stocks in Connellsville. Stocked on the 24th of March and have the next 7 Saturdays booked... 800 fish from each bridge

Never fished up there on the Yough ? Do they go from C'ville to Dawson bridge ?

2A-Wash. Co.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 05:13 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleroo View Post
Never fished up there on the Yough ? Do they go from C'ville to Dawson bridge ?
From the Arch Bridge(big bridge on Crawford Avenue in town) to the Memorial Bridge(Route 119/Memorial Blvd bridge). Maybe a mile in between both bridges. That section of the river is loaded with trout.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page