Looking for advice - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Looking for advice

Hello,

I live in central Ark and I just joined for the purpose of finding recommendations re fly fishing in PA this fall. Wife and I want to spend ~ 1 week in PA in early Oct and I'm looking for a good place to camp (30' trailer) and do some flyfishing. I want to catch some of those famous native brookies as well as some bigger bows n' browns. I've noticed an abundance of what appear to be beautiful st. parks in the state (e.g. in Potter Co.). It looks like I can hardly go wrong but I thought I'd reach out for any advice AND tips on what flies I need to tie up between now and then.

We have some pretty good tailwater flyfishing here in Ark so if anyone is coming this way and needs advice on that feel free to ask!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 12:19 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

If you are looking to come in october you need to set yourself up for the potential of failure. If we dont have rain your looking at poor conditions.

I think Northern PA..Tioga, Potter, Clinton, Lycoming, Cameron counties offer some of the nicest fishable streams in the state of PA (in my opinion) slate run, ceder run, pine creek, kettle creek, siniemahoning just to name a few. These counties offer some of the nicest real estate for hiking biking and other outdoor activities. But if you are going to go for fly fishing only you might want to look in the State College area at Penns creek, Spring creek (arguably the best fishing in PA) and the Juniata...
Marcus99 likes this.

Last edited by 171farm; 03-09-2018 at 12:21 PM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 01:38 PM

Another good location would be Poe Paddy Camp Ground along Penns Creek. While its not drought proof you'll definitely find decent trout fishing there in October even if the water is low. The last 4-5 Octobers have not been very trout fisherman friendly but at least that camp ground is located within driving distance of some of our more famous and productive trout waters. Once you iron out a location post it up and I'll private message you some lesser known spots that you could try. Water levels.....that one I can't help ya with. Either way, October is a fine time to visit the north woods of PA for sure.
Marcus99 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 09:38 PM

welcome to HPA, feel free to ask questions ,someone will be able to help you . if interested in Potter County ,try Frome Acres between Gaines and Wellsboro off route 6, phone number is 814-435-9918. I t sits right along Pine Creek and near several good streams and lakes ,good luck in your decision
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout 2003 View Post
Another good location would be Poe Paddy Camp Ground along Penns Creek. While its not drought proof you'll definitely find decent trout fishing there in October even if the water is low. The last 4-5 Octobers have not been very trout fisherman friendly but at least that camp ground is located within driving distance of some of our more famous and productive trout waters. Once you iron out a location post it up and I'll private message you some lesser known spots that you could try. Water levels.....that one I can't help ya with. Either way, October is a fine time to visit the north woods of PA for sure.
I 2nd this. Poe Valley(more amenities) or Poe Paddy Park(on the stream) but they're really close to each other. Penns Creek, Big Fishing, Spring Creek are all famous. Also some brookie streams around.
cubcadet likes this.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 08:43 AM
Frequent Contributor

I have a cheat sheet i have had for many years, its handy to me. Maybe this will help have an idea what's in the streams. Good luck...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fly chart.JPG (1.22 MB, 28 views)
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 08:50 AM
Frequent Contributor

I'm sorry picture came out sideways. IDK why but everytime i post a picture on here its sideways. When i drag from my pictures onto here, its up right. I done everything as others have told me to do in my other post picture's attached. Maybe its time for a new lap top. I have 2 more pages of this chart starting in April if anyone needs a copy.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 08:35 PM

I would agree with 171farm, you might also check out the Allegahny ,,Genesse and Cowenesque rivers, all three are good fishing spots
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 05:27 PM
Part of the Community

There is always water in Penns Ck. and up to the day stream conditions and hatches on pennscreekangler.com.(Bruce Fisher)
Also great camper anemities at Poe Valley St Pk and Poe Paddy St. Pk.(on Penns Ck)

NRA LIFER,HUNTER, SHOOTER, TRAPPER, PTA, NMTA
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 09:08 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

As far as flies go, my three go to flies are the pheasant tail nymph, gold ribbed hares ear nymph, and prince nymph all with a Beadhead. Anytime I'm searching new water or not specifically matching a hatch, my best set up is a size 14 hares ear or prince nymph with a size 16 or 18 Frenchie (basically just a simpler version of the pheasant tail nymph) dropper. In October you may be able to get some good action on streamers as well. Wooly buggers and clousers are my favorite streamers. Good luck and enjoy chasing trout in PA!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page